No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm currently stuck inside one of anne mccaffrey's books, dragon singer, but i'm already getting several other books from the library. :P
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubywolf:
      Nope. haven't read it. Has any one read uh.. uh.. (struggles to remember her favorite book. been a while sice she's read it.) oh... (looks up on google) "Dogsbody" by Diana Wynne Jones.
      I have. its very good. i read it along time ago though but it was probably the quickest i ever read a book.
      "Reading one book is like eating one potato chip."- DD

Comment

• The language is gorgeous. Sirius is the such an ingenious character. Therefore, when I read JK Rolling's third Harry Potter Book, I was annoyed. Her character Sirius was no where as well thought out as Jone's Sirius. Also, rolling's Sirius isn't a star.
        Oh, in Jone's Year of the Griffon, she write's about a wizarding school. Hmmm, wonder if Rlling's books are even more un-origional than we thought.
        Annyway, Year of the Griffon is really good. Anyone read it?
        Back to Dogsbody. It's my alltime favorite book. I'm mad because someone stole my copy.
        I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

• reading list...sword of truth series, and wheel of time series. since they both have about ten books apiece in them, they should hold you over for a while, ruby wolf. i had a gigantic reading list, on an organizer, but i seem to have lost it...*sighs*
          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• Anything by Diana Wynne Jones is shamelessly awesome. Just re-read the Dalemark quartet myself. Wow. She's just...gah, so good.

Though I didn't like Dogsbody as much as I've liked her other books. Perhaps its because I'm not an animal person.

As for must-read books, everyone in the universe should read The Changeling Sea by Patricia McKillip and The Folk Keeper by Franny Billingsley; and yes, I know I've said this before but it remains true and I will keep recommending these books until I'm blue in the face.

The first three of Madeleine L'Engle's Time Quartet are fantastic. Particularly A Swiftly Tilting Planet. The fourth one about the twins was a bit odd, but her other books are 99.9% pretty darn good.

...I really need to read those books by Naomi Novik that I meant to pick up after the last time I read this topic. Whoops.

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

• I just bought and started a book by "Toby Bishop" (a new pen name for Louise Marley) called Airs Beneath the Moon (it's about riders and winged horses that bond ala Pernese dragons), and I'm really enjoying it, despite a few glitches that her editor should have caught. It's got that feel of a world that's been solidly built from the inside out. (And I can't help it, I keep thinking the title references Mary Stewart's Airs Above the Ground, which is one of my favorite horse books ever...)

I'm also (finally!) about halfway through DD's latest Rihannsu, The Empty Chair. OMG. The space battle at the beginning is mindblowing. Loving it. Absolutely loving it.

I've been trying to get through Jasper Fford's Tuesday Next series (I borrowed 'em from the library, and have to give them back soon), but I've only made it to halfway through Something Rotten. It's enjoyable, and giggle-inducing and fun, but I'm not sure I'd want to buy them and keep them around the house. I think it's the kind of series I'm likely to read just the once.

Also, has anybody here read Cornelia Funke's Inkheart? I just found out about the casting on the film, and I'm thinking I should probably find a copy to read...

Yes, DWJ's definitely a favorite. Most happiness-making is that new ones come out every now and then. The Pinhoe Egg (Chrestomanci!) was great fun. Rubywolf: I generally recommend that folks read Year of the Griffin if they're disappointed about not following Harry Potter into the university years.
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Oh I forgot. Isn't the third book in the inkheart series coming out soon? (did it already?) Is there even a third one or is my source mistaken?
                I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

• Yes there is supposed to be a third book of the Inkheart series, I don't think it's out yet though...least not as far as I'm aware. Inkheart is, in my opinion at least, a somewhat; well, not quite depressing but...it has too many "bad parts" It's one of those fes books that I find very hard to read over and over. But that's just my opinion of course. When is the moie supposed to be coming out?
                  Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
                  Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic
                  Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
                  Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Comment

• No idea when the Inkheart movie's coming out, but given that I think they're currently filming it, I'd say about a year from now. My favorite resource for finding out about what movies are coming out is the IMDb's "Now Playing" page. It usually lists all the release dates for the next three months or so.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• i hope it won't take too long. I want to see Dustfinger's firebreathing. And I hope they don't mess it up too much.
                      Yes, it does have a lot of unfortunate thnigs happen, especially in Inkspell. But I really like her writing style, and i like to read it on rainy nights when I'm bored. of course, i always like to read on stormy nights.
                      i just recently read Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo. It was pretty good. i really like His Drak Materials books too. been wating for a boring day with NO homework to read them again.
                      GOt to Go. AVID Buh, bye
                      "You're so funny. Sometimes, I wish I was a little elf, so I could ride around on your shoulder all day and laugh at you." - my mom. (Yes, she honestly told me that. *rolls eyes*)

Comment

• I still haven't read Inkheart. I've been meaning to for ages. I haven't even read Cornelia Funke's other book, the one about dragons, just The Thief Lord (which was amazing).
                        I read Dogsbody and don't remember much of anything about it except that I liked it. Other Diana Wynne Jones...HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE! GODLINESS! I do like the Chrestomanci books.
                        I read Madeleine L'Engle a while ago, and I don't remember what I thought of the ones after A Wrinkle In Time, but I did like that one. I think they were pretty good.
                        I read a bit of the Wheel In Time series, but they're excessively long and the writing style is done a bit too often. I didn't get too into them.
                        I tried to read Anne McCaffrey a long time ago and I really didn't like her writing style. I kind of want to try her again, but there's so much else that I have to read right now.
                        Lately I've been on some teen kinds of books, and A LOT of vampire books. Twilight and New Moon by Stephanie Meyer are simply gorgeous. I really like most of Amelia A****er-Rhodes' books and I've just gotten into Scott Westerfield. I just read Uglies and Pretties and I'm getting Specials next week. I'M DYING UNTIL THEN! The last page of Pretties almost made me cry. It's just a dream sequence, and if you were reading it without the rest of the background it would be meaningless, but having just read the two books, it was one of the most gorgeous things I had read in ages.
                        Also, the book Blue Bloods is SO GOOD! I can't remember who it's by right now, but it's got this amazingly different take on vampires, something I'd never really heard of before. Be warned:the ending is TERRIBLE and will make you want the sequel like nothing else, however the sequel isn't actually out yet.

My mom loves that I read, but she thinks that the vast majority of what I read is trashy and that I should be reading the classics. That I should have read the vast majority of Shakespeare (who I do love), all of Jane Austen, some Dickens, and well, just a smattering of every "good" English author at this point. She's sure that I should be moving into the Germans or the Russians at this point, because that's what she did. Really, I do love Austen and I haven't actually tried any Dickens yet, but that's not all I want to read. I have other interests. Many of them. She should be happy I read so much. Grr.
                        The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                        I promise not to funfun anymore
                        Be happy cause life is good

Comment

• Diana Wynne Jones is an amazing author, and I actually DO happen to like cornelia Funkes' other books, just not really Inkheart. My friend told me that the Uglies was good the Pretties better, but that Specials was dissapoiting. I do 't know since I have't read any of them..they seem iteresting though. Another friend of mine ssaid I sould read New Moon and Twilight. I only have two problems with that. a) I 'm not that interested in love stories, and b) I'm over my vampire stage, at least for now. His Dark Materials are amazing books, too bad I got rid of my copies. Maybe I should go get them again... Anyways, I also reserved the seventh Harry Potter,not sure why thoug, just to really finish the series and be doe with it, after I'll probably take the entire series and get rid of it. Because to be honest, it's just taking up valuable space that could be used for other books.
                          Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
                          Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Comment

• cress said I still haven't read Inkheart. I've been meaning to for ages. I haven't even read Cornelia Funke's other book, the one about dragons, just The Thief Lord (which was amazing).
                            I read Dogsbody and don't remember much of anything about it except that I liked it. Other Diana Wynne
                            the thief lord WAS good. same with dragon rider...and read inkheart! and inkspell...though not before the next ink book, because the ending of inkspell is even more saddining when you have no way of knowing what's happening next...

Comment

• Makdragon613: Anyways, I also reserved the seventh Harry Potter,not sure why thoug, just to really finish the series and be doe with it, after I'll probably take the entire series and get rid of it. Because to be honest, it's just taking up valuable space that could be used for other books.
                              yay! finally, someone who agrees with me! Harry Potter stinks! The only good that they are for are as boredom busters. Anyway, finished reading the Claudi Journals. They are slightly better than HP, if you like romances, although even I was gagging at the end. they are too clique.

Comment

• I liked th Claidi Jourals, they were a bit...well, slightly annoying at first because I kept wanting to throttle the main character because she was acting so dense, but once I got passed that, I enjoyed it. OOH, and yesterday I went to B&N and bought "Ill Met by Moonlight" by Mercedes Lackey and Roberta Gellis. It's very good, I happen to like it because it mixes magic with the past. And elves. Elves are fun.
                                Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Comment

Working...
                                X