No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i still don't get why the boards does that... her name is Amelia At-water-Rhodes [( without the first hyphen of course )] she's a teen fantasy writer... she published her first book, In the Forest of the Night, in 1999 at the age of 15. Demon in My View, the sequal, was published one year later. It is followed by Shattered Mirror and Midnight Predator. After Midnight Predator, she turned her focus from vampires to shape-shifters. The Kiesha'Ra, her shape-shifter saga, consists of Hawk Song, Snake Charm, Falcon Dance, and Wolf Cry. I don't know if she is planning to continue the Kiesha'Ra, but I will willingly read anything she publishes. In my honest opinion, she is a phenominal writer. Her books are short, but well written. She describes her vampires with such love that you immediately fall for the leeches. In Hawk Song she describes the Avion beauty and the sensation of flying in such a way that you wish you could grow wings and feel it for yourself. I just find it amazing that there is this wonderful a talent in someone so young, and yet her youth just fuels her creativity. I highly recoomend her work to anyone who's looking to just get lost for an hour.
    <center><p style="font-family:times;font-size:70%">*Lilith*Lil*L*Lex*Lexa*Lexi*Alex*Ayan*Ay ankha*Bryce*Sakura*Lady Black*Niya*Ghost*Lady*Tai*Tig*Tygera*Punk-D*Punkti*K'ra*Sha'uri*Kiara*</p></center>

Comment

• Thank you very much. I'll definately look into her works. She sounds like she's really good.
      I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

• Of course it's not necessary. It's just a nice thing to do, given that some folks may or may not be able to purchase books when they come out new in hardcover. Or in paperback. And then have to sit through the library's waiting list.
        I understand that. I only ask because there are about 8 or 9 posts previous to the one you edited in which it is openly discussed that <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Dumbledore is dead</span> (The Half-Blood Prince), and none of those were edited to hide that spoiler. And that book is at least two years more recent. It just seemed an odd disparity, to me.

...Harry Harrison's novel, Make Room! Make Room!. Although now the plot's spoiled for you.
        Perhaps, though the line I put in there doesn't make much sense until you actually read the book or see the movie.

i still don't get why the boards does that... her name is Amelia At-water-Rhodes
        Ah, it's the automated censor on the board, to keep the language clean. It's an unfortunate result of the naughty word formed when the "A" is removed from the beginning of the name and the "er" is removed from the end. Putting the extra hyphen in obviously solved the problem.
        Worlebird
        ------------------------------------
        "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us the nicest of the damned." - They Might be Giants

Comment

• Moderators are only human, worlebird. :-) And with my recent health problems [not to mention a fulltime job], I haven't been keeping on top of things as much as I'd like. (sigh). Next time you see a discrepency like that, send me a PM, and I'll take care of it.

Rubywolf, haven't really noticed a decline in YA fantasy myself, but I think it still obeys Sturgeon's Law ("90% of everything is crud.") and what with the recent rise in volume of YA fantasy, it probably just feels like there's more crud out there. But this year alone, I got a new Diana Wynne Jones Chrestomanci that I quite enjoyed, and Terry Pratchett's Wintersmith (not to mention Naomi Novik's Temeraire series), so I'm not feeling too let down. Mostly, for me, if I'm not finding anything good, I just have to dig harder, or look in a different barrel.

Ok, way-back there somewhere,
          Originally posted by makdragon613:
          Has anyone here read Sharron Shinn? A friend of mine just sent me one of her books for Channukah and I just started reading it. What's the consesus?
          I've read Shinn. I quite like her, although I think she's pretty much wrung as much out of Samaria and the angels as she can. :-) And for weeks I was going around telling people that Archangel was just Dragonflight with angels instead of dragons (a gross oversimplification). I haven't gotten around to reading her YA (Secret-Keeper?) series, but it looks like fun.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubywolf:
            Has anyone read madeline L'engle when they were younger?
            I loved A Wrinkle in Time and the other four books (I'm too lazy to check the titles right now.)

I just started reading The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett and I love it. Has anyone else read it?
            ~~~~Dani~~~~

Comment

• I almost didn't read Colour of Magic, because the cover blurb claimed it was like a combination of Lord of the Rings and Three Men in a Boat, which said "Baaad ripoff, avoid!" to me.

But then I thought "wait, didn't it also say 'Terry Pratchett' on the cover? Wasn't that the Strata writer?' I'd bought and liked Strata a year or so earlier, so I went back and bought it. And, soon after, enjoyed reading it.

I think I've got every Discworld book that's come out in paperback*, now, though I haven't got round to reading Going Postal or Thud! yet. Didn't manage to see the Hogfather adaptation on TV this Christmas, either.

* Including the two GURPS roleplaying books.
              Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• Does anyone read Anne McCaffrey? I've read almost all of the Pern books plus the Crystalsinger books and Pegasus in Space. I plan to read the other Talents books soon.
                Hy gododin cataan hue
                Hud a lledrith mal wyddan
                Guance ae bellawn wen cabri
                Varigal don Fincayra
                Dravia, dravia Fincayra

Comment

• love Terry Pratchett. Have read all the Discworld books, but probably only own half. I also loved the Truckers/Diggers/Wings trilogy. I've only read the first of the Johnny Maxwell books.

maxxroxx--of course I've read Anne McCaffrey. She's a friend of DD's! However, I probably stopped reading her after Moreta came out, so I have a lot of dragon books to catch up on. I only read Masterharper of Pern this year, and Dolphins of Pern last year. The Talent books are great.

What I've found interesting is how there's an entire group of SF/F writers, now, who obviously are using McCaffrey as their starting point. Naomi Novik, Sharon Shinn, and Louise Marley are the three writers I'm thinking of. Oooo! Louise Marley's written a YA seton Nevya: Singer in the Snow. Cool. Oh! And she's got a pen name? Toby Bishop? What the--- she wrote a YA fantasy book with winged horses under the name of Toby Bishop?

The ways of publishing are fearsome strange.
                  New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• I tried to read Anne McCaffrey, but I couldn't get into her for some reason. It was just her writing style.
                    I adore Terry Pratchett, but I can never remember which book of his is which within the Discworld ones. I like Truckers too...it was so sweet. Plus the Wee Free Men books are amazing.
                    As for Amelia A****er-Rhodes...she rocks my world. When I read one of her books I can't put it down AT ALL. I beat people over the head if they try to take the book from me, speak to me or interact with me in any way. Her books are addicting.

I've wanted to read Inkheart for a while, but I've never gotten around to it. The Thief Lord was really good though.
                    I read Madeline L'engle, but I don't remember it very well. It was pretty good. I didn't remember it as being outstanding, but it was fun.

I LOVE PRIDE AND PREJUDICE! I haven't read any other Jane Austen...YET! I'm working on it. I tried to read Wuthering Heights but it was boring. I just didn't get into it. So on my reading list are more Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, another attempt at Wuthering Heights AND...
                    The Beak of the Finch, which I'm halfway through and is entirely amazing. It's also part of my biology project, but I was planning on reading it anyway, so that works out nicely.
                    The Last of the Wine by Mary Renault, as well as other books by her.
                    Ender's Shadow-I read Ender's Game a while ago, and stole this one out of my brother's closet (HA! He's gone, gone gone GONE to college, hahahaha) and have yet to read it.
                    A book of Irish Fairy Tales I got from my mom for Christmas...I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THIS! (sidenote-has anyone here read The Faery Reel? I LOVE the one about Hook)
                    They Went Whistling, also a Christmas book, one about strong women
                    The Book That Changed My Life-a bunch of really good writers talk about other really good writers...
                    The rest of the Series of Unfortunate Events
                    The res of the Pendragon series
                    Uglies, which I've been meaning to read for far too long
                    And my friend gave me a list of books she recomends, which I intend to read more of...

There is simply not enough time to read everything.

OH, I almost forgot. Has anyone here read Rain of Gold? It is my favorite book ever, but I don't think I've ever met anyone who has read it. It's wonderful.
                    The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                    I promise not to funfun anymore
                    Be happy cause life is good

Comment

• Nope. haven't read it. Has any one read uh.. uh.. (struggles to remember her favorite book. been a while sice she's read it.) oh... (looks up on google) "Dogsbody" by Diana Wynne Jones.
                      I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

• Originally posted by bookworm6:
                        I loved A Wrinkle in Time and the other four books (I'm too lazy to check the titles right now.
                        If we're talking about the ones by Madeline L'Engle that have Meg and her relatives as main characters, I believe the other four books are:

--A Wind in the Door
                        --Many Waters
                        --A Swiftly Tilting Planet
                        --An Acceptable Time

Though probably nobody cared to know that piece of info that resides in the shadows of my mind...
                        I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. I have not got one who is a fool.--Oscar Wilde

Comment

• There are tons about meg and her family
                          some others are The Arm of the Starfish and Dtagons in the Waters. However, the Time Quartet include A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters.

Comment

• i only read an open door, and wrinkle in time. i was planning on reading the others, but i keep on getting sidetracted by books. One of my friends think i'm insane for reading too much, and grumbles about how the only thing that can distract me from a book, is another book.
                            I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                            For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• *snicker*

Two of my good friends are like that also, YR. MC and J think that me and K read way too much, since we're usually reading in Scripture (which an intelligent person can get away with) and during lunch.

While I'm thinking about it, has anyone heard of Breaking Her Fall by Stephen Goodwin (I think that's his last name...I'm so bad)? It's basically about <span class="ev_code_WHITE">a father who's teenaged daughter has snuck off to a party, and he goes to get her but winds up in a nasty legal situation, and how that NLS turns out</span>. I've read about half of it, because I was seized with a sudden desire to reread W@W for the umpteenth time, but it's pretty good so far. I read such different stuff, sometimes I feel like I'm explaining something to a severely inanimate object.
                              I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. I have not got one who is a fool.--Oscar Wilde

Comment

• I love to read. I read all of l'engle's books (don't. They start to dissapoint you.) My mom thinks that it is annoying that I read so much. My step- dad thinks it is annoying that I have a very strange need to eat while I read. Apples, carrots. cucumbers, chocolate, ice-cream, it doesn't matter. I love eating and reading. It's good my parents only stock up on healthy stuff, or I would weigh as much as I read.

oh, does anyone have a good to read list? I ran out of books and i'm looking for suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                                X