No announcement yet.

Television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The House premiere was awesome--the entire kidnapped guitar subplot had me in stitches. I watch not the Bones, sadly. CSI also rocked pretty well on its return, and I am loving how they had to tie off something like five plot cliffhangers in Smallville's opener. I am so looking forward to seeing what they do with Kara/Supergirl.

What was weird was that the Bionic Woman pilot seemed not as tight with the reshoots for the new actress playing the sister.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Knowing that some of our membership are fond of Broadway musicals, I should like to point out that 1) Kristin Chenoweth (better known to many of you as Glinda in Wicked) got to sing a song on last night's episode of Pushing Daisies.

And that MTV of all places, is going to air a taping of Legally Blonde: The Musical this Saturday at 1 pm Eastern/Noon Central/1 pm Pacific.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• House seems to be coming up on a really good season in general, actually! I didn't mind the third season Tritter plot, but I know a lot of people who really disliked it are enjoying it this year. (and. omg. "I love you." My easily-swayed slasher heart melted a little, although - shallowness - I am so creeped out by Cameron as a blonde.)

I watched the second ep of Pushing Daisies this morning, and - I don't know! I really liked some bits (Chenoweth's little musical number was one), but the narration kind of grates on me. I'll probably give it a few more chances though.

And to follow up on Bionic Woman - I agree that the pilot didn't feel as tight with new kid, and I could be wrong, but I think they also changed the apartment to be much more flash - I really liked that she didn't have a swanky apartment in the pre-air, so that was kind of a drag, and felt a little bit out-of-synch with their apparent money problems. However, I really enjoyed the latest ep a lot - although I didn't really need to see Katee Sackhoff going crazy in another show, I really really loved her snark in the scenes with Heaven. Also, OK, it's not subtle, but their comments about objectification, being demeaning, all that - I am really loving them. My feminism completely outweights my desire for subtlety in entertainment here, because this could be done so badly and I just love that they're aware of that. Little things like - OK, the silhouette of a woman in the credits? This is such a trope, with shots of slinky women in sexualised poses, and they took that and they made it into something almost totally non-sexualised, something that potentially actually says something about Jaime and her struggle, and I'm totally overthinking, but I don't care, I think it rocks. A lot. And I love that her "origin story" wasn't predicated on Will's death, it really was because she wants to save the world, and I love all the women - whatserface, menacing blonde woman, kicked ASS tonight.

Er, yes. I may be becoming, you know, a fan. Or something.

Bones, for anyone who's reading this and watching, continues apace, although I'm a little tired of the way the show constantly vindicates Booth's puritannical sexual ethic - on the other hand, at least they challenged it in-show. In fact, two of my favourite shows commented on objectification and the male gaze this week - my cup runneth over!
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• I love House, here's my favorite quote:

*House bangs on Wilson's door*
          "I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE, I CAN HEAR YOU CARING!!!"

But this season has been a bit slow for me, I miss the original team, but I guess the characters were too complicated to continue on a regular basis. I like that they pop in every now and then though.
          ---------------------------
          I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Call me nasa, it's a tradition.... don't ask...

Comment

• Tui--ok, you can be the Bionic Woman fan, and I'll be the Pushing Daisies fan. (grin). I think I'm all feminist-imagery'd out from Buffy, because I'm not noticing the same things at all about BW, but then, I'm old enough to remember watching the original show with feathered hair, Sasquatch, and springy-noises and all. And I just sort of sit about hoping that Darin Morgan will write an episode for them (but that's unlikely, since I've heard his brother Glen's already been fired off the show. And where Glen goes, Darin follows).

But yes, serious tonal shift between the first and second episodes. It'll be interesting to see where it finally lands.

BTW, I sampled The Womens' Murder Club and found it a bit too nothing-really-new to be worth borthering over. Next up: Viva Laughlin (sigh. I couldn't even watch Blackpool--it's so sad that Hugh Jackman can lure me into watching its remake).

I must also say--I am loving the Sarah Jane Adventures with a love that has no bounds. My god, does it harken back to old-timey Who. Serious delight at: Sarah Jane's "My love to the Brig!" (UNIT!) and the bit where Bea was mumbling about Sontarans looking like giant potatoes with ray guns (which they do).

Oh, and I finally got my hands on the next-to-last issue of Buffy Season 8. OMG. And here I thought I might drop it when Whedon stopped writing. Vaughn had me in stitches over "the bearded wizard of Northampton" (aka Alan Moore). Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

• Oh, and I finally got my hands on the next-to-last issue of Buffy Season 8. OMG. And here I thought I might drop it when Whedon stopped writing. Vaughn had me in stitches over "the bearded wizard of Northampton" (aka Alan Moore). Thanks for the heads up!
              Next-to-last? That's all? *pouts* Guess I need to catch up on my reading, then -- I think 5 was the last one I got.

Then I get to start on Angel:After the Fall. I can't decide if I want to know what happens after "Personally, I want to slay the dragon." but I don't think I'll be able to resist.
              "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• In re: Angel and slaying dragons, it's funny because the whole thing is set up to be such a kind of, you know, rude gesture to the world, which I always thought was hysterical - um, have you seen the joke icon with JK Rowling, "rocks fall! everybody dies!" Well, I always thought the end of Angel s5 was kind of like the Joss Whedon equivalent: hellspawn! everybody dies! Which is fairly rockin', so yeah. Not sure where I was going with that paragraph! So I'll stop.

I wasn't worried about going from Joss to BKV, because - BKV! OK, louder: BKV!!!!!! I have a feeling I'm a bit behind though because I haven't been into the FLCS for, erm, awhile. I better go in next week and cancel my orders for the summer, since I'm going away again...

I'm so distressed by the fact that everyone I know thinks BW is boring. I just! I like it! Oh well, I can be the crazy lone fan. However, I concur about the WMC issues - dull in the extreme, lame lame lame boyfriend issues. Plus, my nasty little feminist critic is muttering, if this was the Men's Murder Club - oh wait, CSI I II and III, 80000 spinoff shows - there wouldn't exactly be an ex coming back to be the boss, you know? and so on.

I enjoyed Pushing Daisies this week; it could be growing on me, or it could just be that I miss my House and Bones. Baseball is lame!

SGA is still good (this week's episode, in fact, is great, although I already saw it when it leaked when Adrift aired, for pete's sake.) I heart Sam.

Speaking of stuff that makes me want to punch myself repeatedly in the face: Oh, Grey's. Why am I still watching you? I can drop shows! I can! I can! Meredith and Derek keep having the same stupid issues! George and Izzie is the worst decision ever! Callie suddenly had a character transplant this season! I really miss Addison! Lexie Grey is cute, though, and I still love Alex, Bailey and Cristina, so um, I guess that's why I'm watching the show?

Comment

• Re: "rocks fall! everyone dies!" -- I don't know if that really applies. It's not a rude gesture, imho: it's allowing them to go out in a blaze of glory, without actually needing to show the deaths. Look at the end of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid -- you know they didn't make it out of the plaza alive, but you don't need to see details. The same with <span class="ev_code_white">Thelma and Louise -- the car hasn't really started falling yet</span> when the scene fades out. At least with Angel, you have the satisfaction of knowing they would have taken a heck of a lot of that army out before they went down -- at least, you would have before they announced Season 6. Now I don't know what to think.
                  "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• So Phenominan on NBC this wednessday. Who plans on watching it. I feel sorry for the contestants. They had to sign their soul over to NBC for very little money. And NBC kept changing the contract. first it was mentalist then they added illusionist. You needed three acts then five then ten. Warning next sentance contains high doses of sarcasam, do not read if you have high blood preasure are nursing or pregnant, talk to your doctor if sarcasm is right for you . So Chriss Angel what amazing magic *cough all speccial/camera effects cough* he does. Uri Geller not that great of a magician. Should be a WONDERFULL show. Though im biased as one of the contestants is a friend of mine on the magic cafe. Although the new MIndfreak season will be better because i hear they have recruted Jay sankey(god of creativity) to make some effects. Im ranting now arn't I? Well ill end it here.
                    (\__/) "Be amazing"
                    (+'.'+)
                    (")_(")

Comment

• WHO'S HEARD ABOUT THIS?

Guys guys guys guys guys! Joss! Eliza Dushku! Television!(And Fox, the !#$%&.) *crosses fingers*

ETA: Watch with Kirsten (sigh) has a better link w/interviews with Joss and Dushku. *twirling*

Comment

• Holy moly. Fingers crossed is right. But whyohwhy did it have to be FOX?!!!

BTW, I'm amused as heck that Viva Laughlin bit it so quickly, thereby pushing up the entry date for the next Amazing Race.

But that's the only reality show I watch. Please oh please let there not be a writer's strike. I don't think I could stand another wave of Mark Burnett-type productions. I really couldn't.

Comment

• I don't think Fox has done a horrendous job so far on House, but I could be biased; as long as House runs I think I'll be a fan of it.

That being said, how are you liking the new Heroes? Chuck? Journeyman?

I'm starting to get into Chuck, though I feel like it's a bit contrived. Best Buy worker gets NSA secrets downloaded into his head? It's funny though, and connects to me on a geeky level, so I'm cool with it.

Haven't seen any of Bionic Woman or Journeyman yet, which makes me sad because I want to. Also, I missed the season premiere of Scrubs, which makes me want to smack myself.

In all honestly, I like where House is going. Aside from megalomaniac manipulative woman and aggressive shady plastic surgeon, the others are all fun characters, and I like the reappearances of House's former staff. Any naysayers?
                          Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
                          Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

• For every show Fox gets right, it goes horribly wrong for another three at least. The number of good SF/F shows they've canned after less than half a season is legion, including the much-lamented Firefly, Wonderfalls, and Drive of recent note.

House is fun, but I miss the Old Guy. I wish they'd kept him. It gets a bit tiresome seeing nothing but pretty 20-somethingish characters all the time.

Reaper is a better bet than Chuck for my money, although all my love these days is for Pushing Daisies. I am so happy to hear that Pushing Daisies got a full season order already. No anxiety about whether the back nine gets picked up (a "typical" show's season is 22 episodes. New shows begin with a 13-episode order, and if they do well, a further nine episodes are ordered. Right now, Reaper, Chuck, Journeyman and The Bionic Woman are all on 13-episode commitments. Extra scripts have been ordered, but no green light to do a full season yet). Just anxiety about the writers' strike.

If you like House, you may also want to check out Life--it's similarly modelled and also stars one terrific British actor playing an accentric brilliant character.

It's nice that Joss already has a seven-episode commitment from them, but I really hope that Dollhouse isn't going to be a Firefly foul-up all over again.

Comment

• Originally posted by kli6:
                              Reaper is a better bet than Chuck for my money, although all my love these days is for Pushing Daisies. I am so happy to hear that Pushing Daisies got a full season order already.
                              Pushing Daisies is on my very small "must watch list," along with Grey's Anatomy. Yep, I don't watch much TV. But I watched an episode of it online, and was hooked; it kind of reminds me of a movie, actually, what with all the bright colors and the narrator who's detached from the story. Plus, I find it funny that Ned and Chuck kissed through a sheet of plastic wrap. *shrugs* Anyway, it's a funny show. And one of the main characters makes pie. How can you not love a show with a character who makes PIE for a living? XD

Comment

• Easy Hungry you don't like pie.

*Gasp* but then your not human.
                                (\__/) "Be amazing"
                                (+'.'+)
                                (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                                X