No announcement yet.

Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, O was based on Othello. I doubt I would like Othello much better, if the plot is basically the same (and as I understand it, it is). I just absolutely and completely hated it, and I don't usually feel that strongly negitively about movies.

Comment

• I've seen Othello, but it was a couple of years ago and I found it very hard to follow because of the language and the fact that they were talking so fast. I liked it pretty well, but then again I am slightly obsessed with Shakespeare. I love analysing the character motives etc. So much fun.
      The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
      I promise not to funfun anymore
      Be happy cause life is good

Comment

• What always cracks me up about Othello is that nobody ever uses the motivation that's in the text for why Iago wants to screw with Othello.

Sadly, my favorite film version of Othello has to be the Olivier one. The one where you can see his makeup come off on an exceedingly young Maggie Smith (who is known to you lot as Professor McGonagall). Mostly, though, it's just because I get to see a lot of British actor "baby-pictures": Derek Jacobi is Cassio, Edward Hardwick has a walk-on, and Michael Gambon (Dumbledore II) is naught but a spear-carrier.

My absolute favorite Othello is one I saw at the National Theatre back in 1997 (Trevor Nunn). Shakespeare works better on stage for me than it does on film or video. OTOH, it's hard to beat the Olivier Lear, or the Flying Karamozov Brothers' Comedy of Errors.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• I LOVE the Flying Karamozov Brothers. I went and saw them once at the Guthrie. They were so good!!!!!!!
          Yeah the only Othello I've seen was at the Guthrie.
          Maggie Smith ROCKS!!!!!!!!! I know I've seen her in something other than HP, but I can't remember what. Hmmm...wait, it might have been The Prime of Miss Jean Brody, or however you spell it. I don't really remember.

Comment

• Brodie, I think. The IMDb is great for this kind of thing. Here's Maggie Smith's listing. You should see the FKB CoE if you can find it: jugging, musical instruments, AND Shakespeare. It's really funny.

I saw Sky High and it was fun, but kinda fluffy. I did love Lynda Carter's last line, and seeing two of the Kids in the Hall back together.

Is it just me, or is there nothing out right now? Man, I'm just dying for Serenity to open, and the only movies before then I wanna see are Brothers Grimm and Corpse Bride. Ok, maybe Proof.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• *BUMP*

wow.. its been a while since anyone posted in here.

I went and saw Skeleton Key about a week ago now. I liked it. Except for the pun at the end... Its funny, out of the four trailers that we (I went with a bunch of friends) saw before it, we now have another four movies that we want to go and see. Namely Red Eye.

Howl's Moving Castle is coming out here soon. Well at uni anyway, its just I don't know when I'll have the time to go and see it. Or who I can drag along with me.

Alla

Comment

• I saw Red Eye... meh, 4.5/10.

I saw Brothers Grimm, though. One of the weirdest movies I've seen this year... and here I was thinking weirdest movie ever would be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but Brothers Grimm took the gold. 7.8/10

Did anyone notice that the music of El Zorro 2 in the trailer is almost exactly the same on in Pirates of the Caribbean?

BTW, PULP FICTION ABSOLUTELY ROCKS!!!

"Which one's yours?"

"It's the one that says bad mother****er."
                Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
                ------------------------------------------------------------
                "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

• The Zorro 2 trailer is out? I'll have to go looking for that later . As for the music. If its the same I would hazard a guess that it was written by Klaus Badelt or Hans Zimmer - probably the latter. Hans Zimmer worked with Klaus Badelt on the Pirates of the Carribbean soundtrack - and if you listen to it and Gladiator one after they other they are nearly the same. Whenever I'm playing the 'Music Quiz' on my iPod, I always get the POTC and Gladiator (mainly the 'Battle' music) muddled up. Just to confuse you a little more

Alla

Comment

• Hey, did you guys hear that there is gonna be a Pirates of the Carribean 2 and 3? I love you Will!!

and did anyone see the boogeyman? The middle was ok, i guess, but the end. pah. horrible movie. White Noise? Now that scared the crap outta me.

However, i still think that the best horror movie of my time was The Ring. Nobody expected him to die!!
                    just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

• Let's see...I saw Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. I tell you what, Wonka had serious issues. Definitely weird, but enjoyable. Saw Howl's Moving Castle awhile ago--it was pretty good, though very strange. I nearly died laughing at certain parts ("I don't see the point of living if I can't be beautiful *sob*.") You'll get it after you see the movie ^^

Saw Batman Begins. Eh, pretty good. I love the villains(has one in common with Red Eye, actually!) but the whole movie felt like a preview. Very action packed, yet I kept catching thoughts that went like 'this is a really long commercial' XD Just recently, I saw Red Eye and I must say that I *loved* that movie. Was it bloody? Nope! Overtly immoral with an excessive amount of cursing? Not a chance ^^ Was it a great thriller that made the whole theater scream? HECK YES. ^^ If you like that kind of thing. I mean, it wasn't a 'scary movie' persay. It was more of a suspense bit, and I happened to love that in a movie :P

Oh, and I saw House of the Flying Daggers. If you don't mind subtitles, then it's a great movie. I am in awe of their skill in martial arts and strangely mystical forests and stunts. Pretty good in my book ^^
                      ~~~~~
                      You know when people see a cat's litter box, they always say, "Oh, have you got a cat?" Just once, I want to say, "Nope. It's for company. Help yourself. Make yourself comfy. Take your time."

Comment

• I went and saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yesterday with MedSoc friends. We had a chocolate eating session before hand and I gotta say, that MedSoc on a sugar high is hilarious XD. Anyway... the movie was good. It was on an IMAX screen soooo big. And we got to see the Harry Potter Theatrical trailer thingy (the one thats longer than the teaser) before *dances* It looks _really_ good. I'm hoping that it won't be another disappointment like the third movie.

Hehe.. Howl's Moving Castle is starting soon near me . I can't _wait_ to see it. HMC was one of my favourite books when I was younger (while I was waiting for dad to find a copy of A Wizard Abroard, I think...) and so yeah. I read it on saturday night, just to refresh my memory before lending it to a friend, who hasn't read it yet.

POTC 2 and 3 Yep.. knew about that a while ago. I think they started filming last october or something. Due to come out the middle of next year.

*sigh* too many movies that I want to see... too little time... and too little money

Alla

Comment

• I just got back from seeing Batman Begins. I didn't really like it, but I'm not a huge action movie person.
                          I completely agree that Brothers Grimm was SO weird. I liked it though. Weird movies work for me. I'm not sure why.
                          I spent most of House of Flying Daggers making fun of it, so I don't think I would have liked it if I was actually watching it while being serious. It's tons of fun to make fun of though.

Comment

• Ok, just before I start, I know, I know, these movies came out like soo long ago, but they're like my favorite movies.

1. Mean girls ("That is so fetch!" "Gretchen! Stop trying to make fetch happen!")

2. Ferris Bueler's (sp?) Day off (" Hyello, is this Mysta Peterson? This is..." Cameron impersonating.)

3.Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (with Gene Wilder) ("If you want to view paradise...")

They just rock!!

And of course, the stupid/funny movie based on a college project with nearly any words, NAPOLLIEEAAAAAAAN DYNAMITEEEEEEE!!!!!

I don't know why I love that movie so much. Perhaps it makes me feel like less of a nerd!
                            just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

• I cannot stand Napolean Dynamite. It's not so stupid it's funny, it's gone beyond that to just being really stupid and boring.
                              I didn't like Mean Girls, but I can't stand Lindsay Lohan and so far high school is nothing like that.

Comment

• Have to agree with Cress on the Napolean Dynamite thing...but the fact that I watched it at 4 A.M. MIGHT have something to do with it...I just think it's the stupidest movie ever, no offense to anyone who likes it.

Mean Girls...last year, high school was like a watered down version of that. It's a little better this year, because we now have some classes that are mixed between grades, like the juniors and seniors who are in my Pop Culture class (fun class, if you ever get the chance to take one, do it!) We actually just finished watching Mean Girls in that class...

Ferris Bueller's Day Off: best movie ever. 'Nough said.

The last movie I saw was...Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. That movie was creepy. Don't think I'll watch it again anytime soon.

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

Working...
                                X