No announcement yet.

More "What Kind of Music Do You Like"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're probably right. It's downloading from iTunes in the background as I type.

70s and early 80s was when I was still paying attention to music radio and TV shows, so that'd be why I sort of think of him as new.

I'm also buying It's Still Rock and Roll to Me, and Beatles Influence. I might look for the others another time, to listen to the previews.
    Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Now I'm confused- because I'm sure someone would have mentioned it- but while I've heard of Billy Joel in an "Oh, yeah, he was awesome twenty or so years ago" kinda way, the reason I've liked him by assumption is Uptown Girl.

You know, the song that Westlife completely, utterly and fully destroyed?

Yeah.

And when she's walking she's looking so fi-i-ine
      and when she's talking she's saying that she's mi-i-ine...

In other music history, Simon and Garfunkel still rock.

This is my song for the asking
      ask me and I will play
      so sweetly I make you smile...

This is my dream for the taking
      take it, don't turn away
      I've been waiting all my life...
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Cha, Simon and Garfunkle will always be cool. I've actually never heard Scenes from an Italian Restaurant. It makes me so sad. But then again, I only have one of his CDs. I didn't know he was in Oliver and Company. Ya learn somethin new every day.
        The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
        I promise not to funfun anymore
        Be happy cause life is good

Comment

Originally posted by Birdhead:
          Now I'm confused- because I'm sure someone would have mentioned it- but while I've heard of Billy Joel in an "Oh, yeah, he was awesome twenty or so years ago" kinda way, the reason I've liked him by assumption is _Uptown Girl._

You know, the song that Westlife completely, utterly and fully destroyed?
          West who?

Now I've got Uptown Girl going through my head, and I think you're right, it is by him. I don't know about those other people .

Simon and Garfunkel - now, them I've heard of!

Comment

Ah, yes, "Uptown Girl"--the song Billy Joel wrote about Christie Brinkley right around the time that he married her.

Cress, "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant" is on The Stranger album. The song's seven and a half minutes long.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

SWEETNESS! Yah, I was listening to Uptown Girl for most of the afternoon. *digs out CD*
              Now I'm going to have to go and squander money on that CD so I can listen to Scenes from an Italian Restaurant. GAH!
              *sings along to Uptown Girl and pretends she can dance*

Comment

Cress... settle down.. I have heard of Billy Joel. Love Piano man... have it and Uptown girl.... he was very popular when I was growing up.

Ahh Tui... I'm with you there on Simon and Garfunkel! Boxer and Sound of Silence and Cecilia and Book Ends and etc... are very good.

Ahh... goes to check music stash... Ventures, Beatles, Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, Richie Valens, Wonders, Elvis, Mamas and Papas, Roy Orbison, Sam the Sham, Turtles, and many others that were before my time... but my father thought they were good and so I have loved the music from the 50's and 60's and way too many others to list... *deep breath* Wow... that was a long list.
                -----------------------------I'm not paranoid! Which of my enemies told you this?
                The trouble with life is that you're half-way through it before you realize it's a do-it-yourself thing.
                I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get bac

Comment

*grins* Well... *examines playlist* Cat Stevens, the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, The Mamas and the Papas (But only california Dreaming, so doesn't really count) Queen, Cream, Clapton and Bob marley, Gloria gaynor, Ella and Louis, Elton John (but only the Lion King), paul Simon...

...versus Bic Runga, REM, matchbox 20, Dido, nesian Mystik, the Red hot Chili peppers, Destiny's Chile, The Ketchup Song (HAH!), Spice Girls, Jewel, Shihad, Train, Smashmouth, Zed...

... and then Tchaikovsky and the Concerto de Aranjuez by Rodrigo (So, so so beautiful.)

I have he best balance of tastes, nanananana....

West who?
                  *quails* You're joking, right?

Right?
                  Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Hey Tui! I think that I have all of those that you listed too... except for about 4 of them, it looks like. *sigh*

I totally agree about the Elton John... his music is just too wierd and I like the Disney stuff only.

I need more classical on CD... I have so much on cassette tape (before CD's existed) and I haven't replaced them. And I have loaned a few out but I am missing them now.
                    -----------------------------I'm not paranoid! Which of my enemies told you this?
                    The trouble with life is that you're half-way through it before you realize it's a do-it-yourself thing.
                    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get bac

Comment

Originally posted by Birdhead:
                      West who?
                      *quails* You're joking, right?

Right?
                      Oh, Adam West? The actor who plays Batman on TV and in the third of the Batman films?

Seriously, as far as I know, I've never heard anything by Westlife. I really don't follow the music industry any more, and haven't since about the mid-80s. Billy Joel really is one of the newer people in my musical memory, along with Randy Edelman and so on.

The newest tunes in my iTunes purchased music collection are probably two tracks from the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack. Apart from them... probably the Live Aid "Dancing in the Streets" or "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" by They Might Be Giants, which I first heard on Tiny Toons Adventures. (They became They're Definitely Dwarves in Terry Pratchett's "Soul Music".)

Comment

Well... I like videogame music. Add a little bit of Mozart and Bach to it. Mix it up real good -- shaken, not stired-- and you'll get what I like. (Or if you're lazy, just click this link to my site, and listen to the music I write. That should give you an idea on what I like. www.stormybeach.com)

Comment

I remember playing a jazzed up version of a Bach toccata in my wind band - a bit of a mightmare to play, but great fun! I sometimes wonder what Back would compose today, as he carried on with Baroque music long after his contempories had given it up and moved to classical.
                          "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

I don't know who Westlife is. YAY for The Beatles, LOTR Soundtracks, Spirited Away sountracks, taiko, Joe Hisaishi, Queen, Beach Boys, The Matrix Reloaded Sountrack, Uptown Girls sountrack, the Magic Flute, Pirates of Penzance, The Mikado, Gilbert and Sulliven in general, Simon and Garfunkle, Paul Simon, Elton John (in the Lion King), old Disney soundtracks, I could go one for a long, long time. I was running out of room in my CD case, so I got a newer, bigger one that holds 64 CDs, and it still didn't have enough room. GAH! But there are some CDs I don't listen to as much anymore. Like The Sting(scott Joplin), Mamma Mia, all that good stuff. I can't live without music.

Comment

*die oldies!*
                              Anyways I was watching Country music videos on GAC this morning and there was this really funny one called Girls Lie Too and it had Johnny Depp in it, (In his pirates of the carribean costume.) and Dudley from the Harry Potter movies. It was so funny because it was all about Johnny Depp. I don't like country music but I sure love their videos!!!!!
                              penguins will rule the world.

Comment

I am such a sucker recordings of live performances... will buy music I would never normally buy if it's a live recording. I also buy a lot of soundtracks.
                                "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

Working...
                                X