Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The world is changing... bad changes or good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just deleted a post that could easily be construed as a threat of violence against other forum members, although I'm sure it wasn't intended that way.

Keep it civil, folks.
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

i wonder if the natural greenhouse effect would cause as much trouble as it is now that we're speeding it up...i suppose if it progressed at its usuall rate, we'd have adapted as things changed without even realizing it, but the way we've speeded it up....it's a big problem. *wants to get out of new york BEFORE it's flooded if possible* of course, considering my back up state's california...i'm not sure how good i'll do. personally, i wonder what the worlds coming too when a public library closes down because their AIR CONDITIONER broke. (that here, and now i'm typing this in a different library) and when you see flyers for a wanted attempted rapist in a neighborhood thats considered relitively safe...at least for new york.
      ----
      when it comes to the electric car, one of my teachers once told me that they had a perfectly well working electir ccar once, which eveyrone could have used without any problems whatsoever...the copyright was bought up, and it was destroyed.
      combined posts - GF
      I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
      For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

young reader: i dont want to be mean but dont you have to combine the two posts together?

ummm... what was the green house effect? i remember hearing about it and i want to remember but i just cannt
        its a long long walk to the end of the earth... but let me tell you if im walking to you then i'll walk farther than you would have dreamed possible.

Comment

The green house effect is that the sun shines throungh a transparent layer, such as the glass in a greenhouse or the atmosphere, the sunshine warms the air, and then the heat is unable to escape through the transparent layer. The atmosphere is thickened by the gasses that we release into the air, making it more and more difficult for heat to escape.

My grandfather, a fisherman, is constantly complaing how the herring have changed their migration because of the warming of the oceans. It's good for Iceland's economy, but not for Denmark's.
          I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

sorry about the double posting...it's what happens when you have daily post emais, and you don't always have time to check every post after. *looks sheepish* with luck, the world willr ight itself before we do any real damage...but i don't really feel like counting on luck at the moment.
            For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Well I have a story, and I'll tell you why I'm telling it after:

We got a new dishwasher today. It's a really nice one, and it's stainless steel with a slate-colored tub on the inside, so our rusty water hopefully won't make the inside so disgusting as the old one was.

Well they wanted a quarter of the cost of the dishwasher just to install it. My dad decided we'd just install it ourselves. So my friend, me, and my dad installed it. We made the connections, plugged it in, started operating it, aaaaaannnnddddd.......

Water leaked everywhere beneath it. We looked and it doesn't seem to be the piping connections but a problem with the seal between the tub on the inside and the motor.... Great. I was thinking "This is the thing that our dishes will be contained in hundreds of times to be washed" but we're probably going to end up waiting another week for a new one.... *Sigh.* We have been letting the dirty dishes build up so we'd have plenty to experiment with when we got the new one, but I suppose we'll have to wash them all by hand.

Later last night, though, I was running my finger along the seal on the inside of the dishwasher, where the water drains out, and I realized that towards the back, the seal wasn't seated properly. So hopefully all the repairman (who's coming some time today, as my dad called yesterday after we concluded it was nothing to do with our installation that was the problem) will have to do is to re-seat the seal, and everything will be fine, and that they won't need to order parts, in which case we'd have to wait another week or two for it to be fixed....

-------------------

Cheap foreign labor. Greediness. That's what happened here. Probably when they were loading it in to its crate box, they banged the motor on something, which pushed up on the seal. And they probably knew they had damaged it- but didn't do anything about it. Even if the Chinese were payed better, maybe they'd do a bit better job. But the best thing is just to have the darn things made in America like the used to be....
              "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Made in America? How often do we hear that term? And why should China's quality be any worse than ours? That dishwasher could have been made in America and still had defects; just because it was made in a foreign country doesn't mean that it's evil. Perhaps you're sore about the outsourcing of jobs to foreign countries. Well, China needs jobs, too! China is a manufacturing country; they've already established themselves as such - look at the back of any product; 9 times out of 10 you'll find that shiny gold "Made in China" sticker. *looks up at above rant* Oops, sorry, didn't mean to pounce on you like that *grins toothy grin as tail twitches*
                "...For my own part, I known my job; my commission comes from Those Who Are. My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always..." - The (Kitty) Catechism
                Define the universe and give 3 examples.

Comment

Well if you have a product that's made in China, it needs:

To be moved OUT of the Chinese factory, moved ON to a truck to be shipped to the shore, moved OFF the truck, moved ON a ship, moved OFF the ship, move ON a truck, moved OFF the truck at the dealer, be moved IN to the dealer and be in a stalk room, be paid for by us, moved OUT of the stalk room, moved ON to a truck, moved OUT of the truck, moved IN to my house, and get cut OUT from its box, and move IN under our counter.

That's a TON of moving, and anything could happen during all this moving. (Meaning the dishwasher getting dropped, getting crushed, kicked, etc.

And if you have a product that's made in America, it needs:

To be moved OUT of the American factory, loaded ON to a truck to the dealer, loaded OFF the truck and IN to the dealer and be in a stalk room, be paid for by us, moved OUT of the stalk room, moved ON to a truck, moved OUT of the truck, moved IN to my house, and get cut OUT from its box, and move IN under our counter.

Transit from a factory in America is MUCH shorter than a factory overseas in China.

I'm talking about this partly because of the fate the dishwasher suffered according to the repairman. The motor underneath got banged somehow, (during transit, most likely) so it made the seal misalign. And one of the clips that holds the motor in to place snapped during this. Luckily the repairman was honest enough not to re-seat the the motor and call it OK. So my dad called the dealer and asked for another one. Now we have to wait until Thursday or Friday (It's Tuesday today, and the defective dishwasher arrived yesterday on Monday) for a second one. So... much... WAITING! I am a very patient person, but for this one stupid thing I just can't wait....
                  "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

you know why you never find our stuff here its because we send it to all the differnt contenents and they sent their stuff here... its kinda sad because we never get to test drive our stuff and cannt really say who makes better stuff...

i feel sorry for the dishwasher... poor poor dishwasher it never had a chance...

deleted mostly-dup post - GF
                    its a long long walk to the end of the earth... but let me tell you if im walking to you then i'll walk farther than you would have dreamed possible.

Comment

america just doens't actually MAKE that much anymore...i mean, almost anything you find in the common market comes from another country! and while some people say that everything could made in america, noboddy actually follows through with that...if you checked the clothes of those who complain, you'll most likely find that everything they're wearing comes from somewhere else! personally, that goes for me too, but i don't complain to much....besides not always thinking of it, i don't think you should complain if you're also full aware of the solution, and not DOING anything about it...(though sometimes everyone ends up complaining anyways, including me, and it's hard to blame people for that, the solution should still be sought in the end)

Comment

Originally posted by wizy123:
                        i feel sorry for the dishwasher... poor poor dishwasher it never had a chance...
                        I just told the dishwasher you said that. It it glad for your pity.

Now that I really think about it, I remember when the deliverers took the dishwasher out of the box that they kind of had it half on the ground, half on the crate at one point, so maybe this is when it was bumped and broken. To think that I probably witnessed the wound that eventually killed the dishwasher. Oh, well, even if I had realized that they had done something wrong and mentioned it to them or my dad, the damage was done, and they couldn't do anything about it. Although we may have gotten the replacement sooner... I don't know. Whatever.

Comment

well, at least you know what's wrong. i'm sure the dishwasher will be happy to know exactly WHAT is disablizing it....*teleports to your house via the computer and tells it* and you might have gottena replacement sooner, but just as likely it wouldn't help...things like that often take a long time...*grumbles about EVERYTHING taking a long time* i mean, just look at schools...i have disgraphia, so they're supposed to provide me witha computer...however, when i arrive at the new school,the entire school year passes without me ever getting one, and when we yell at them for it NEXT school year, they tell us how they thought i already had one! and then the one they get me is always breaking down!

Comment

What's disgraphia?

That's another things wrong with schools. The schools in the inner city don't have a lot of technology with is vital for today's changing world. The children that goes to these schools have parents who can't always afford a computer. (Wealthy schools I have noticed have a computer for every student. Maybe not all wealthy schools but many.) The schools also aren't always clean. The bathrooms are gross and there is never any paper towels or soap. The buildings are in a terrible state of disrepair. And sense I live in earthquake country I pray that I'm not in one of those schools if a big one strikes. The school claims it's the budget cuts. Budget cuts of what I have no idea. But our teachers think the big wigs in government keep all the money. I mean it is no secret that these people have 3,4,5 houses and give themselves raises.
                            Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
                            Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

Originally posted by spyells:
                              What's disgraphia?

That's another things wrong with schools. The schools in the inner city don't have a lot of technology with is vital for today's changing world. The children that goes to these schools have parents who can't always afford a computer. (Wealthy schools I have noticed have a computer for every student. Maybe not all wealthy schools but many.) The schools also aren't always clean. The bathrooms are gross and there is never any paper towels or soap. The buildings are in a terrible state of disrepair. And sense I live in earthquake country I pray that I'm not in one of those schools if a big one strikes. The school claims it's the budget cuts. Budget cuts of what I have no idea. But our teachers think the big wigs in government keep all the money. I mean it is no secret that these people have 3,4,5 houses and give themselves raises.
                              Dysgraphia-A physical or mental condition that prevents one from writing...i'd almost call it reverse dyslexia, but since I have minor dyslexia I can tell you that for the most part I can read.

Comment

no, it is reverse dyslexia. i CAN write...it's just that no one can read it. :P most people describe it as the written form of dyslexia....and the schools are really slow doing anything to help me with it, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X