No announcement yet.

Manga/Comics/Bandes Dessinée

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, ok! FMA is probably my all time favorite manga. It's the second manga I read, the first having been Fruits Basket, which a friend of mine introduced me to several years ago.

Royai for the win! I love them. So much. (That conversation in the flashback where Col. Mustang appoints Hawkeye to be his bodyguard? Best. Scene. Ever. And their backstory is pure win.)

Well actually, the entire FMA backstory is pure win, despite it being incredibly depressing, and at times oddly reminiscent of the Second World War . . .

Other mangas I like:
    Death Note is awesome, although I feel like the second half wasn't that great . . .
    Hetalia. I'm a history geek, which makes it even cooler. (I have a tendency to skip ahead a little when I need to save my eyes, though.) Another funny thing: a lot of people say the art in Hetalia is weird, but I actually like the sketchy quality of it.
    Fruits Basket, as I said . . . one of the few shojo mangas I've read, actually. (Haha, spellcheck just tried to change "shojo mangas" to "shoji mangos" XD )

Some friends of mine are really into Bleach, which I don't get. I tried reading the first 8 or so volumes and I didn't really find it that interesting. Besides, it's LONG.

Comment

I've gotten hooked on Bakuman. It's just...so interesting. My attraction to it is kind of odd considering how much I can't stand Death Note. But that mangaka really does know how to write and draw, and I suppose he's composing about the business he knows best.

Kaori Mori's A Bride Story. For anybody who liked Emma: A Victorian Romance, historical realism, and, obviously, romance.

I've been using Viz Manga's new app to preview new series. It's pretty nifty. I think the art looks cleaner on a device than on the page, although I still prefer the printed versions, because I like the physical experience. But you cannot deny that the e-version is cheaper. There are other apps like that out there, too, like for Yen Press and so on...

Comment

My younger daughter (the one _not_ named after a Duane character :-) ) has recently become addicted to Fullmetal Alchemist, to the point where she ordered Ed's pocket watch from Amazon with her own money. (And you should have seen her freak when we pulled into Tim Horton's the other night only to see license plate "E ELRIC" in the parking lot...) She's also been seriously into Black Butler ("I'm just one hell of a butler.") and various other series. Somehow, she managed to get all the way through Elfen Lied without me catching her at it... not terribly age-appropriate. Clannad and Clannad After Story were pretty amazing as well.

I think we started on the anime kick when a friend brought Fruits Basket with her for a sleepover. Before then, I liked anime, but there was so much of it that I didn't know where to jump in, short of the series I grew up with (Battle of the Planets and Star Blazers ("YAAAA... MAAAA... TO!")). These days, Netflix is fairly helpful with pointing us to new series.

ETA: Grrrr. Yes, I know the difference between manga and anime, I just read the forum title too quickly. Sorry.
        Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; January 2, 2013, 09:52:01 AM.
        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Working...
        X