No announcement yet.

Manga/Comics/Bandes Dessinée

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not showing up on a search of the GCD, either. So, it probably wasn't. (Sigh). Oh, well, at least we can always read the script DD posted.

A GCD search does list a bunch of other comics that DD wrote.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I don't even read green lantern personally...I only read spider man...though i have a friend who i think only reads manga and does anime...
      I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
      For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Augh! Augh! Grrr. Argh....

Dave Cockrum died. Sigh. DD's gonna be bummed when she hears that one. Heck, I'm bummed that I heard it.

Dave Cockrum, if you don't know the name, was a comic book artist. He's best known for work on the Legion of Super Heroes and the X-Men. He's the guy who first drew Wolverine, not to mention Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus. He had not just one, but two runs on the book, and I remember his artwork vividly, because one of his issues was the first comic book I ever bought.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Over in the television thread, Countryfan1394 asked:
          Kli 6 when is the [Buffy] season 8 comic coming out, do you know?
          It came out yesterday, March 14th. I just picked it up at my local comic book store, and it's really fun. It seems like it's going to be a blast. However, the guy at my store said that they're already sold out. There's going to be another printing, though, so if your local comic store doesn't have it, chances are good that it'll come back in. Or you could wait until there's a collected trade paper.

wizy123 asked
          how many differnt kinds of kryptonite are their?
          Wikipedia is the source of all knowledge. Here's their entry on kryptonite.

Comment

i just read a manga called love hina its really funny.
            and another called full meatl panic (not realated to FMA) verry actione (i made up a new word) and verry insitive
            its a long long walk to the end of the earth... but let me tell you if im walking to you then i'll walk farther than you would have dreamed possible.

Comment

Since we're back to talking about Buffy Season 8, I figured I might as well unlock the thread and bump it.

Garrett--#7 is the most recent issue, iirc. Faith and Robin are apparently taking care of the Hellmouth in Cleveland.

I'm not sure if I'm going to pick up the Angel comic, either, but like you, the temptation may be too great. Whedon's only co-writing, but...

I also finally got around to picking up Bryan Talbot's Alice in Sunderland--holy moly the thing is big and heavy and expensive. Then again, Absolute Sandman vol. 2 is even bigger and heavier and more expensive, which is probably why I haven't gotten it, yet. Anyway, the writing on the Talbot is incredibly rich--it's going to take me a while to work my way through it. And I thought Heart of Empire was complex...

Comment

Originally posted by kli6:
                Garrett--#7 is the most recent issue, iirc. Faith and Robin are apparently taking care of the Hellmouth in Cleveland.
                Hopefully, not the same way that Spike did. :-)

I have to say, the retcon of the Hellmouth in Season 7 always bugged me. We saw the Hellmouth open before, in "The Zeppo" and (I think) "Prophecy Girl": where were the übervamps then?

Then again, Absolute Sandman vol. 2 is even bigger and heavier and more expensive, which is probably why I haven't gotten it, yet.
                Ah, thanks for the reminder. :-) *runs off to TheThingsIWant.com*

(oh, and going back to "prolixity is a virtue" -- my junior-year AP English teacher made us all buy Strunk and White. :-)
                Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that every word tell.
                )
                "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Ah, Death Note is good. I watched the TV series (obviously in Japanese with English subs since I've mentioned it so many times) after reading volume one. That's a great manga. Has anyone seen Mai-HiME or .Hack? I've read My-HiME, but not .Hack.
                  Wow, I've watched so much anime that I can't even remember all the names. I'm such an otaku (not a house, an anime fanatic).

Whoops, Death Note was only talked about on the first page.
                  "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
                  -Terry Pratchett
                  Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

Hiii! Okay, so the manga I like and recommend is Fruits Basket, love it, love it, love it. More on it later. Pita-Ten even though it was only eight volumes, .hack//legend of twilight is very good, D*N*Angel, which is finally being re-started after being on hiatus for two years, My Dead Girlfriend, an American manga which, when you read it, is like a creepy little bedtime story, and a new one, also an American manga, called Pantheon High, which is about high school students who are demi-gods. Fruits Basket is my all-time favorite manga and I've read it all the way to the end. The others that I've recommended are amazing as well. I usually only read stuff from Tokyopop, as any other publishers annoy me, and I haven't read the other majorly popular mangas such as Inuyasha, Death Note, Ranma 1/2 (I only read one volume and it wasn't interesting to me), Full Metal Alchemist (I have watched one of the movies, though), and Naruto. What I call American mangas are "mangas" that are from Tokyopop which have American writers. If you want me to explain anything better, just ask.
                    I stand tall, proud, brave, straight, and strong.
                    Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance.
                    ~Book junkie~

Comment

Oh my gosh! I love Fruits Basket. Though I haven't finished reading the manga I've watched the whole series!! Ah it's my favorite. My second favorite is Azumanga Daioh. Really hilarious, it's about a bunch of high school girls and things that go on in school. I think it's wicked cute. But number one to me is Fruits Basket!!!
                      Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                      Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                      It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                      Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

Yea, Fruits Basket fan! *high fives Emi and whoever else has said they like Fruits Basket*
                        I stand tall, proud, brave, straight, and strong.
                        Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance.
                        ~Book junkie~

Comment

My favorite of all manga is the Cain Saga/Godchild. It takes place in the Victorian ages, in London of course, and deals some pretty crazy stuff. But the art work is beautiful. Kaori Yuki, the artist, also did Angel Sanctuary if any of you read that. What really impressed me is that this series has been the only one (manga or even novels) to have an ending that physically effected me it was so strong and perfect and so in tune with the tone of the series as a whole. Seriously, I was trembling for a whole half hour after finishing.

Comment

I'm going to give this thread a little bump.

Originally posted by crazy_bookworm View Post
                            Yea, Fruits Basket fan! *high fives Emi and whoever else has said they like Fruits Basket*
                            I LOVE Fruits Basket. Probably one of my Top 5 manga series.

So I know there are a few Sailor Moon fans in this group, and I know that DD has at least watched Sailor Moon because it's referenced in one of the books. Anyway, anyone else excited about the manga being licensed and released here in the US? As well as Codename: Sailor V! I already own the first volumes of each, and volume 2 of SM and Sailor V will arrive in the mail on the 15th.

As for other series that I like...
                            Red River (Or Anatolia Story, depends on where you're from, it was published under different names)
                            Kanata Kara
                            Pretty much anything by CLAMP
                            Kodocha
                            Rurouni Kenshin
                            Usagi Drop (I liked the first half better than the second)
                            There are a few series that aren't licensed that I've read online, like Faster Than a Kiss and Hoshi wa Utau (Another of Natsuki Takaya's works) I get frustrated with some of the online scanlations though, because of the poor grammar. But if it isn't licensed it's my only way to read it, so I make do.

Anyway... I've been looking for a new series to read, any suggestions? I like pretty much any genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                              Anyway... I've been looking for a new series to read, any suggestions? I like pretty much any genre.
                              I'd recommend Fullmetal Alchemist to pretty much anyone. The effort Hiromu Arakawa puts into the worldbuilding is amazing. The plot is many-layered, but I never found it too hard to follow. The concept of alchemy is a lot like YW's concept of magic, actually: the concept of "Equivalent Exchange" and where it applies is a major theme. It's deep, complex, and philosophical, and it gives you something to "chew" on even as you enjoy it.

And I don't want to spoil anything, but the backstory behind the series is incredible. It's masterfully done and any of the characters' backstories that tie into it is bound to be a tearjerker. Even, often, the villains' - of which there are several, each of them unique and creepy/awesome/villainous in their own way.

I got so attached to the story and the characters that when I hit the last page I felt like part of my childhood was ending, haha. (Please ignore the fact that I'm 13.) :P

Comment

Originally posted by LifeSong View Post
                                I'd recommend Fullmetal Alchemist to pretty much anyone. The effort Hiromu Arakawa puts into the worldbuilding is amazing. The plot is many-layered, but I never found it too hard to follow. The concept of alchemy is a lot like YW's concept of magic, actually: the concept of "Equivalent Exchange" and where it applies is a major theme. It's deep, complex, and philosophical, and it gives you something to "chew" on even as you enjoy it.

And I don't want to spoil anything, but the backstory behind the series is incredible. It's masterfully done and any of the characters' backstories that tie into it is bound to be a tearjerker. Even, often, the villains' - of which there are several, each of them unique and creepy/awesome/villainous in their own way.

I got so attached to the story and the characters that when I hit the last page I felt like part of my childhood was ending, haha. (Please ignore the fact that I'm 13.) :P
                                I watched Brotherhood. I love that series so much! I know what you mean about the similarities between YW and FMA.

(Huge Royai fan, btw)

Comment

Working...
                                X