No announcement yet.

Believe in hypnosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but who here has had a personal experience?(curiosity will be my death)

Comment

*shrugs* I'm with Tui, basically, in terms of not thinking there was anything to believe or disbelieve about its existence. (The effects some people claim to get, yes.)

My Health class involved a video at one point that was supposed to combine hypnotism and subliminal messages... I found the whole thing rather stressful, honestly. I never had a great deal of confidence in that teacher -- I'd have trusted her in the sense of not expecting her to do deliberate harm or something, but not, say, to get arithmetic right or show what I considered good judgment about assorted things -- so I was strongly disinclined to relax or voluntarily enter a suggestible state around her. I didn't really watch the video the first day (I'd've tried to sneak and read, but it was too dark ) and requested to be excused on grounds of objecting to the whole thing the next, and was followed by another couple of students. ...And the teacher came to get us afterward and accused us of trying to guilt-trip her. *eyerolls* Other way around much, I thought.

My mother pointed out later that I read fast enough that I probably could have read the "subliminal" messages consciously with no trouble, so then I kind of wished I'd tried it.

Comment

that's kind of interesting, an if u read quickly u can normally pick up the subliminal messages, try some of the online ones. and btw, ne1 that wants to try it, the demo on this site is entirely for relaxation purposes, and contains no subliminal messages, try it out
        www.danielolson.com

Comment

Has ne1 online been hypnotized?

Comment

sorry, i'm trying to bring this to the top again in the fervent hope that some1 here has, my curiosity is killing me

Comment

Hi all
              Ali cause I don't want you to bust a gut I will go look at this site for you and post something later.
              Fox
              God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

That will now have to wait untill the next weekend because it takes 5min to an hour to download!!! my Parents would bust a gut if i was on the net that long!!!
                l8r peps
                Fox
                God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Frankly, I'm not high on the idea of any substance or anyone but my creator influencing my behavior. I tend to regard hypnotism as simply a little bit of foolishness or a misguided attempt at bringing some kind of spirituality into life. If we want to talk about mental health, about as far as I'd go is meditation or prayer...time spent not just thinking your own thoughts, but thinking of others and their welfare. Learning to get your head together.

But for any teacher to bring this into class...pretty tacky. There's no excuse for a teacher to fill a classroom--particularly when the class is required--with hypnotism when there's legitimate academic material to cover.
                  I solemnly swear I am up to no good...

Comment

It was wrong for them to force the children to watch, but voluntairily it should be allowed, perhaps as part of a psych course

Comment

Originally posted by Lamarquise:
                      Frankly, I'm not high on the idea of any substance or anyone but my creator influencing my behavior. I tend to regard hypnotism as simply a little bit of foolishness or a misguided attempt at bringing some kind of spirituality into life. If we want to talk about mental health, about as far as I'd go is meditation or prayer...time spent not just thinking your own thoughts, but thinking of others and their welfare. Learning to get your head together.

But for any teacher to bring this into class...pretty tacky. There's no excuse for a teacher to fill a classroom--particularly when the class is required--with hypnotism when there's legitimate academic material to cover.
                      Lamarquise, I think you might be thinking of meditation, which does have some spirituality, sortof. Hypnosis, though, is just some relaxation thing. If you're hypnotized, you're not unconcious, just very receptive. You'll listen.

Comment

Well, it was a health class. There's no such thing as "legitimate academic material" for Health class, it's a waste of evreyone's time. We did vaguely random stuff like that in Health to- looked at aromatherapy, all that kind of stuff.

As for prayer vs meditation, i know a few religious people who use prayer as a sort of meditation, fi you like, examinign themslves and their action which is kinda the point. or would be, for me, if I wa either religious or did meditation, which I'm not and I don't.
                        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

And also, hypnosis only works if you are willing to be hypnotized so no one in the class would be forced

Comment

Forced to be hypnotized, no. Strongly encouraged, though. This was also the class where we had to write our own obituary (a friend and I got taken aside and taken to task for being flippant) and the teacher said she wanted us to be "caring and apathetic" toward fellow students when discussing sensitive subjects.

Comment

One of my teachers had us do something on a similar topic. And the tacher was wrong to reprimand those that did not wish to view the tape, however i see nothing worse with this than optionally showing the 9 11 bombings in history class, it's part of history, and mental chrises and psychology are part of health, the student should always have the right to an alternate assignment, but the initial assignment shoul be offered as well,

Comment

"Caring and apathetic"? Is that a direct quote?

*snickers* Flippant obituaries, that's a new one on me too, though I daresay you could nanage it. Well, you msut have. I think flippancy is important for your mental health, don't you?
                                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Working...
                                X