No announcement yet.

Do you like the long descriptive parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the descriptive parts, to a point. Some times, if it is too descriptive or long winded, I get jolted out of that 'reading haze' that I get into when I'm deeply immersed in a book. Other's than that, I like it.It helps the plot.
    All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

and i forgot about the times when i just tell myself that im just gonna read like a couple of pages and just get lost in it and it ends up being like 20 pages
      Footsteps in the snow suggest where you have been, point to where you were going: but where they suddenly vanish, never dismiss the possibility of flight....

Comment

I love DD's descriptions. I feel like they always enhance the story, help me visualize and set up the scene. Occasionally it seems like it's too wordy, but if you actually read it, instead of just freak out at the size of the paragraphs, you see why it's important. Kuh-thunk

Comment

Descriptions are a huge part of why I read books! But where I love say, Redwall or what I've read of Anathem for inventing the architecture and landscape of my fantasies, I love DD's descriptions in YW for (literally) bringing life to objects that already exist all around us as well as inventing things that don't quite exist. In that way description is as much a part of the story as the other characters and plots. It's also easier to move through the stories and be awed without getting bogged down, whereas say LotR needs many sittings and a chart to properly savour. (Of course I read LotR over maybe 6 sittings. Oh well.)

So I suppose it's really a function of the style of the story I'm reading.
          Last edited by A Traveller with Magic; November 23, 2009, 02:12:00 AM.
          -Tell me and I may remember; show me and I'll understand; involve me and I'll never forget. Thank you, PM. Your light lives on.

Comment

Did someone say "LOTR chart"? :-)

And for the record, I like the long descriptive parts, too. While I can't quote the beginning of The Wounded Sky from memory, the image of the Enterprise warping through space is still fairly vivid in my mind, though I haven't read it for years...
            Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; November 23, 2009, 09:08:37 AM.
            "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

I like those parts, but i don't usually remember a part as "long" which can be a problem when recommending books to those who don't like them...
              Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?

-The Book of the Dead
              --sabriel

Comment

I remember when I was younger, I'd skim through the part in Deep Wizardry where they were practicing the song and then descending into the canyon; I thought it took too long and was too tedious. Two years later? BIG TURNAROUND. (Heel Face Turn ) I love them. I purposely read slower and re-read parts just to savor the beauty of the language. The only exception is when something's like, (and I think I saw someone mention this before on another thread,) "Frodo took a step. Then he took another step. Then he took a third step, slowly. Then he turned his head to the left. He looked ahead again. He took another step . . ." I haven't run into that in YW, though.

Comment

Working...
                X