No announcement yet.

Do you like the long descriptive parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like the long descriptive parts?

I, personally, love the discriptive paragraphs that seem to characterize these books, but I know that some people don't care for them. My mom read HW and she skimmed through all of my favorite scenes because she found them too wordy. What do you think?

*~*FireWitch*~*
    A physics geek
    And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

I, personally, love the discriptive paragraphs that seem to characterize these books, but I know that some people don't care for them. My mom read HW and she skimmed through all of my favorite scenes because she found them too wordy. What do you think?

*~*FireWitch*~*
    A physics geek
    And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

Comment

I didn't notice any long wordy scenes- though I read far too much anyway. But, seriously, the only time long-wordy-ness (go ahead, Tui, mangle the language) has ever bothered me is in Lord of the Rings. One of the series I'm rerading at the moment is the Wheel of Time- that's quite wordy too, but in YW there isn't any, how can I put this, overweight prose- it's, uhm, not sparse, or anything... I'm not sure how to put this- there are long descriptive bit, but they're really good because they're accessible- easy to absorb without resorting to heavy words... I'm not sure this is making sense- it's sounding like I mean that YW is light reading, and that' snot it either- I'm lost, I think, but to get back to my pint- no, descriptive bits are great!
      Ka kite
      Tui

Tuibird in Aotearoa
      Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
      Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
      *sob* back to school....*sob*
      My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I love them! Like in SYWTBAW, when Nita's reading from the Book and there's a really long paragraph describing New York, it totally gets me into the setting more. I love those passages!

Comment

I have to agree with our resident Birdhead - I dislike long word-y-ness (thus my hatred for LOTR and Charles Dickens) but there isn't really any in the YW books. More in SYWTBAW than the others. All of her descriptions are attention getters and important to the plot, not just space-filling BS.

Yours till the bed spreads,
          Rowen Avalon
          mysites/ravensiggys/constitutionality
          Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
          "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

Comment

I love the discriptions in this series because although they are long they are poetic and allow you to picture everything including feelings. Books like those in the Clan of the cave bear series however are just annoying and make me want to kick something, I mean does it really take 2 pages to discribe a glaicer.

*Wooosh I be polydactial yo!*
            *Wooosh I be polydactial yo!*

Comment

polly6 are you still in here?

Princess_nita0
              Night owl,Up till Dawn
              "You must change yourself before you change your surrondings"
              "Attitudes are contagious. Is yours worth cacthing?"
              "when light enters the room darkness cannot stay. The truth is the light."
              "If the truth is the light.. explore ways we can enlighten those in the dark."
              "If it is based on a lie it cannot survive"(By Yours truly

Comment

ive never noticed that the books were very "wordy" but i think that because ive read brian jacques. However only one because his are so wordy. he seems to find pleasure in deeply describing grass and chocolate truffle. the only reason i read the book was because my bro reads them but i almost fell asleep reading it repetedly. but it really depends on the way the author describes it. i bet that is DD described the grass id be in rapture. lol

You're only young once but you can stay immature indefintly.

My givin name (from friends) is Psychotic Susan Hardhead. Psycho Susie for short

Comment

I don't really notice long-wordy-ness in these books. Not more then there has to be. As for in other books, it's all good as long as it's written well. LOTR for example, has long-wordy-ness. But its GOOD long-wordy-ness.

In the Young Wizard books its not so much long-wordy-ness, it's more...vived description.

Or at least thats what Frodo told me.

Comment

As a descriptive writer myself, I adore descriptive writing. (Gosh, I'm so biased.) Nothing helps me get into a story more than if something is well-described. Ms. Duane is especially good at describing things. Several of the scenes in YW made me go because of how well they were written. Description helps me visualize a scene sometimes better than I could on my own. However (playing devil's advocate here), sometimes authors can overdescribe a scene, leaving very little to the reader's imagination, which I don't like.

And about LOTR being long-winded - I had no trouble reading them even as an elementary school student, but maybe I'm unusual. The language seems very authentic for the time period that the story takes place in, and I don't know if it would have gone over as well with a more 'modern' writing style. ::shrug:: Just IMHO.

---

Heaven is calling
                    From a rainy shore
                    Counting wounded lights falling into their dreams
                    Still searching for an open door
                    - Sarah Brightman, "The War Is Over"

Comment

I used to hate the descriptive parts, but now I love them. As a writer myself, I can apreciate the skill it takes to describe something well. Diane Duane usually doesn't get to wordy for no reason. The only parts that bother me sometimes are when she's explaining stuff in great detail and it starts to detract from the plot.
                      -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.
                      -It's only impossibe if you believe it is.
                      -Existence is belief. I believe in magic, so it's real to me.

Comment

~And about LOTR being long-winded - I had no trouble reading them even as an elementary school student, but maybe I'm unusual.~(Guest) when I was in grade 4 I read them... although some people call me "gifted". I don't really think they are hard to read.

But about the long wordy paragraphes, I think they are fine exept when they go too far, and peoples imagination can't imagine. I don't think DD does this though. She's great!
                        "Just how have I failed to notice Neets is hot?" ~Kit

~Lover of great books ever since she could read~

Comment

I love the descriptive parts. The first time I read a book, if I'm really excited about it when I read a book I uaually have to reread it and then I catch more stuff like small details and things. I'm so excited to read the book that it helps to read it again, but i really love the details and everything. They make the book so in depth.
                          Dai stiho cousins
                          ~~~Ezra

Comment

For me, lots of description builds the world more realistically in my mind, I tend to see it much like a movie with description. DD does all that and more, and several other authors do as well. David Eddings is one I can think of, and Tamora Pierce too.

Description helps paint the pictures, and shows the story more than just root diologue... I've seen that in the early stages of my writing, and how I've gotten better at showing the more description I put in.

Thanks DD for all your excellent descriptions!
                            There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
                            "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

I like the long descriptive parts when Im just reading and not doing any thing else, which isnt very often, and not when I am at work and get interupted every 5 secs and have to refind my place every time.
                              Footsteps in the snow suggest where you have been, point to where you were going: but where they suddenly vanish, never dismiss the possibility of flight....

Comment

Working...
                              X