First Reactions to W@W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Reactions to W@W

I'm moving Vidur's message here (and also NightV's) so that they have a more germane topic line.

Please remember, folks, this is an open thread and it can be read by other members who haven't seen the books yet. For discussion of specifics, please go over to the hidden W@W Spoilers area. Otherwise, keep the comments here general.

Thanks.
    Lee / Forum Administrator

I got Wizards at War today. Have started reading and decided to take a breather. So far it doesn't look like anyone else got the book, nothing posted in the special spoilers section. I'm about half-way done and I'm going to finish tonight (it's still night here). It's been REALLY REALLY good so far and I think it's actually about to get better. It's on its way to becoming my favorite of the series. I might be posting in the spoliers section soon.

It's a good thing my first class of the day is at 2:30.

Comment

I dunno, I didn't like this one as much as another... I'd say second best in the series.
      ---
      How cheerfully we consign ourselves to perdition...

Comment

So far I think it's fabulous--I too am about half-way, and I just ADORE all the interactions...suddenly all the characters are coming together and it's spectacular how DD handles all the different personalities. And I'm especially loving the (detail removed) stuff (is that considered a spoiler? Because if it is I'm really sorry; I'll remove it right away if someone objects, just tell me).

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

AlidaART, there's now an entire spoiler forum where you can post as many spoilers as you want. If something is "questionable" as a spoiler, and you want to post it in a non-spoiler area, you can use the <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[color:white][/color]</pre> tags to "hide" it.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Thank you kli, I am now aware. And I have taken gratuitous advantage of it, I'm afraid. Well, c'est la vie. Though it is nice to know that when posting in said forum I don't have to put giant SPOILER WARNINGS everywhere.

Um, so--non-spoiler overall vote? FANTASTIC. Better than ever. High praises.

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

Hmmm... i really liked this one... esp Carmela.
              I picked the book up backwards by accident after eating lunch and opened it to a seriously bad page. So I kind of flew through the book, to make sense of what I read. Other than that I loved it tho. But I'll agree, there are others in the series that are better.
              ~Sam

Comment

OMFG MY FATHER IS THE MOST EVILIST PERSON EVER.

yeah. But first, what hapenned when I got to Borders yesterday. Picture, if you will a 17-year old girl who is at Borders so much that she knows the entire staff by name. (But doesn't work there...yet) So she's at one end of the kids section (you must cross the void of small children running around to get to the YA books at my Borders) and sees WAW in a pile on the new books table. She freaks out and goes flying across the kids section, scattering small children to get to the new books table, where she grabs fanatically at the first copy of WAW she reaches. That would've been me yesterday. I was PSYCHED.

Anyway, back to my father, I pulled a maraton reading of WAW yesterday afternoon (much like my infamous Pride and Prejudice reading marathon, although waaaaay more fun). So I'm like 30 pages from the end whe my father decided that if I don't empty the dishwasher NOW, the universe is going to end (or some vauge equivalent of that). So I put my book down and go do that. Well, whilst i'm unloading the dishwasher, HE takes the book and starts reading it, and won't give it back to me. He even took it to work with him the morning. AAUGH!!!!! And I paid for, so it's not like he did and can take it at will. It's MY copy. *dies* must....know...how....it....ends....*dies again and again* I'm totally going to be out of it today in school. Oh well.
                PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

Aw, poor Caitlin. At least your Border's still had copies. Here's my conversation with the evil Border's employee who thinks I'm crazy (teBewtIc)

Me: Do you have any copies of W@W?
                  teBewtIc: No, we sold out of them yesterday.
                  Me: Will you be ordering anymore soon? Like tomorrow?
                  teBewtIc: NO, we won't be ordering more until October. (!)
                  Me: Why? It's clearly a popular book, as you've sold out already.
                  teBewtIc: We won't order more until October.
                  Me: You said that already.
                  teBewtIc: You can place a reserve on a copy though.
                  Me: *hangs up the phone*

So, I've ordered a copy online, which should get here in a week or so...maybe more. But that Border's clerk was really annoying...anyway, one week and counting! (Hopefully)

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

I went to Barnes and Noble and since the one were I live is particularly large, it took me a long time to find the book. *It was on the VERY BOTTOM shelf in the teen section*

But yeah, I did sort of a victory dance when I saw how thick it was. YES! More YW to read!

Unfortunately for me, my parents like to tell me to do things while I'm reading, too. Only I take the book with me when I do it. Heh...so I'm cleaning the counter and reading the book at the same time.

My sister kept yelling at me to 'put that dumb book down and help me with my math homework!'*sigh* NO I will not do math instead of read W@W! Oi!

Comment

omg omg omg omg omg!!!!!!

i think this is the best book i've ever read, and that is a really big compliment. I can't believe what happens!! AHHH!!

ok, im sane now. I got it in the mail, and i was like, "OMG!!! I cant believe its finally HERE!!"

and im like the writer above me (With the Team Voldemort link)... I could not put it down!

well, anyways, to you who are going to or currently are reading it, happy reading!!
                      just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

I have read through it twice now. I loved it! This one is my favorite.

Comment

Just finished reading all the posts in here from the bottom up (dont ask). I just got W@W in the mail! YIPEE! I went to borders and the guy told me they wouldnt have it till october. I sAid Thank You while Thinking ' You suck, you dont have W@W and Amazon does..' So I got it on Amazon and have read about 40 pages into it. IT ROCKS!
                          ~Azen
                          In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

Douglas Adams

Comment

I just finished it yesterday. It was very good, and quite a ride, or at least more so than any of the recent ones. However, I must admit that a few of the events were just a bit too strange for me to rank W@W as being the best so far, but that's just my opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing what DD will pull off in the sequel.
                            ---------------------------
                            "The law of entropy is just a complicated way of explaining why some things don't happen very often."
                            -Norman Christ, Professor of Physics, Columbia University (Does the Lone One know this? :P)

Comment

There's quite a nice review here, BTW:

http://www.randomdialogue.net/2005/0...ds-at-war.html
                              -- DD

Comment

Working...
                              X