No announcement yet.

"WH" paperback cover...any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typical beach scene. People lounging around, sun, sand, towels, umbrellas . . . aliens in swim trunks and stuff. The title would be eye-catching enough, I think, and then the typical-but-warped beach scene would make someone flip through it to find out just HOW such a situation could come about. Nita and Kit, just soaking up the rays, talking to Aalalids with their alien beach house in the background.

Oh, a question: Is the cover art being done by the same artist as the other seven books? If it is, we have an idea of what style they will have and what to expect.

Comment

I like the beach scene, but I think it would be more effective if the Alaalids looked less humanoid. The scene basically has very tall black people lounging on a beach, with two short Caucasian/Hispanic teenagers present.

I can't believe Semiramis hasn't said anything in this topic - or is she drawing her ideas?
      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

mmm... are you asking what scene I would like to see on the cover, or what scene would be _good_ for the cover? A scene I'd like to see would be something with Dairine and the exchage students- maybe in the kitchen. Or on Everest. However I don't know whether that would make people pick it up... Alaalu beach scene would be nice.
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I tried yesterday to reply to this topic but it couldn't find the server when I was done, so it got lost and I was too tired to redo it... so here goes.

I think that the display scene would be really neat.

First off, the series is really about Kit and Nita. Second, knowing that, I would like to see, as an alternative, Dairine and the gang on the Sun doing the spell. Those two scenes are what I remember the most about the book and are the major events. I think both would be great cover pictures, unlike the one it has now.

Please change it.
          -----------------------------I'm not paranoid! Which of my enemies told you this?
          The trouble with life is that you're half-way through it before you realize it's a do-it-yourself thing.
          I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get bac

Comment

Hmmm...I see what you mean about the series being mainly about Kit and Nita, but in WH they served really an auxilaury role to Dairine and crew...I really think they should get the cover time.

Comment

I've had a second thought!! I think the front cover should be placed around the Kits house!! With the t.v on and Charmella talking to her chat buddy!! and the exchange students there!! that might be nice!
              Fox
              God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

I like the exchange students. Filif was the coolest. Everytime I go to a gardening center I think about Filif. (DD see what you've done to me!!! )
                penguins will rule the world.

Comment

But the exchange students don't come to Kit's house until the next book. Right? I kinda like the hardcover version.... Maybe the cover should show the horizon of Alaalu (sp?) that'd be cool....
                  *Agent~M*
                  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                  "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                  "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                  "I could live

Comment

I like the idea about the Naos, although I agree that Dairine and crew need more cover time...

...huh.

Maybe a pic of Alaalu hovering in the background of Dairine and etc. doing something? although I notice every single cover so far, unless I'm missing something, has either Nita or Kit on it... myah. Or perhaps a shot of nita going towards (or turning from) the Naos, with a giant fuzzy-superimposey-type shot of the sun with a little fuzzy-silhoetty Dairine-n-crew above (although not clear enough to provide spoilerage)?

...I dunno why, but this book makes me think that there should be odd camera angles in the cover... I'm not sure that helps at all, buuuut... myahhhh...

Comment

How about this?
                      Nita and Kit standing in front of "Alaalu version" of the Lone Power who is curled up in her chair. In one (or both) of the upper corners, we see Dairine and the exchange students readying the wizardry they take up to the Sun. That covers two significant scenes without giving anything away. (I allways liked the merged scene drawing covers of the earlier edition of SYWTBAW--people should do more of those. Why? BECAUSE I SAID SO.)
                      ~Sharky

+Member of the STTF (Save the Topic Foundation)
                      +Member of the FBI (Forum Bureau of Investigation)

Comment

I totally agree that Dairine and crew should get some cover time. So what I'm thinking is that we should have Dairine, Filif and Skerret hovering near the sun while Roshaun steps in. How's that for a Holiday? I have the feeling that, while the book is humorous at times, the beach scene would have people thinking that it's just something you read for fun. NO! These books are pretty serious stuff, really. And I really hate it when people seem to think that YA novels are pure fluff. Arg.

By the way-- I thought Nita was perfect on the original Holiday cover, but Kit was...bleh. I dunno, I think of him as this sort of tall Hispanic kid with a lot of dark hair and those flashy black eyes. Someday I'll post a drawing of him so y'all can see and tell me if I'm wrong. I know DD mentions him being chubby in the first book, but he was what, 12? And then he had a growth spurt and all, and I'd expect him to lose the baby fat and get leaner now that he's 14/15. Esh. Who knows...

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

Dairine and RoShaun on Mars! Dairine and RoShaun on Mars!
                          Or, no... how about Dairine at her desk, forging her father's name on some permission slips?
                          I like the idea of the Relegate in her chair, except I'm afraid it would look like one of Anne McCaffrey's Rowan books.

Comment

Mmm...I don't know. I liked the art for the HC. The mall fiasco was funny, but it wasn't really that relevant to the main plot.

Speaking of which, when is the paperback coming out? I was expecting it to be this fall, but Amazon doesn't have a listing for it.

Comment

The mall fiasco was funny, but it wasn't really that relevant to the main plot.
                              Actually the mall scene was completely relevant, it helped develop Roshaun's character as well as Carmela (who is a major character now, regardless of being a non-wizard). It also helped develop Dairine a little (tolerance and personality wise) as well as being general anime style hilarity (which brings me to another question, mainly for DD herself, What kind of anime do you watch, since I always get the anime vibe from YW, especially in Wizard's Holiday).

Comment

I agree with sharklord and say that they should have the Lone Power scene with Dairine and company in the corners.
                                "A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"
                                "How are you today, missus Darcy?"

"keep holding on" avril lavigne

Comment

Working...
                                X