"WH" paperback cover...any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "WH" paperback cover...any thoughts?

Folks, Michael Stearns at Harcourt has asked me for my thoughts on what the "Wizard's Holiday" paperback cover should look like.

While I'm mulling this over, I don't mind throwing the question open to the membership at large. If you could see a favorite scene from WH on the cover, what would it be?

Note well that (a) it can't be something in which the scale is so large that you can't make out humans: (b) it has to be something that's going to make people not familiar with the series want to pick the book up and find out what it's about.

Let me know what you think.
    -- DD

Personally, I say just stick with the hardcover cover this time; I wasn't particularly enthused with Alone's cover art, so I didn't mind its replacement (well, I did, since I have the hardcover and not the paperback ).
    --
    Grr. Argh.

Comment

The only reason I even picked up Book 1 was because of the cover and the title. At first I thought it was a joke but it turned out to be one of the greatest books I've ever read. Another reason I picked it out was because Borders recommended it. The book also got a lot of attention from the kids at school. They were all reading my book because of the title. (That's why it took me a month to finish.)
      (I like the new 3 covers for the first 3 books they're very interesting.)
      I don't know much but it would be cool to stick with that same artist for the 7th book. (My favorite scene in WH is actually when they went to the mall.
      I'll think about a good scene to be on the cover...
      penguins will rule the world.

Comment

Heh. The mall was great. But I dunno if that would get more people to buy it. How would you make that look cool on the front of the book. You have the ((*Gryphon is blanking*)) lake-ish thing with erm... LP and all. Wait, what's the cover of the hardcover Holiday look like? Mep. My brother has my copy. Who likes the lake???
        Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

I'd love to see Dairine and the exchange-wizards as a group--maybe in the mall with some disguise-spell slippage, or being introduced to Mr. Callahan in the kitchen.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I wasn't exactly impressed by the cover art 4 the 7th but I'm goin' with everyone else on this one. I would love 2 see the mall scene. LOL espellially Filif and Victoria Secrets.
            Or maybe even the beach scene. Oh and DD. I just want 2 say that u have inspired my writing as much as J.K.R. and i love ur books....AND WIZARDS AT WAR SEEMS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KOOL.
            If practice makes perfect and no one is perfect why practice?

Comment

I think that either the Mall Fiasco (that was brilliant!) or a pict of Kit and Nita approaching the Relegate's Naos.
              A physics geek
              And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

Comment

Maybe you could do a scene where Nita and Kit are on the other planet. (Okay sorry I'm forgetting names really easily today.) I love the idea of that planet. A pretty sunset and a beach with sheep flying around in the sky.
                penguins will rule the world.

Comment

I really liked the scene when Kit & Ponch went into the display to hear what was said. And they slowed it down and went over and focused on the LP and the Elder.

OR

The Lone Power in it's chair as Nita and Kit approach. That would be good, too.
                  http://superdrea.net/

Comment

DD you have to have a nice sunset scene with the crab creatures building there sand castles!!! It would bring warmth to the cover that it in the book, also It might be nice to have the lone power standing in the background with a smile on it face!!
                    Fox
                    God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Kit and Nita approaching the Naos would be good, especially if you could see the LP

Comment

I think it should be Dairine and the exchange students on the cover, with Dairine and Roshaun in front, Filif and Sker'ret to the sides, and Kit, Nita, and the Lone Power behind them...that would be a cool cover.

Comment

Oh that does sound cool, Evangelion!! But, all the other covers have a part of the story on them. But, I really like your idea!!!!!
                          ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                          **Neets**
                          CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

I agree with ATimson about keeping the same picture as the hardcover, though Evangelion's idea of having a split cover showing Dairine as well, perhaps with a redone version of the Nita and Kit scene, is also appealing.
                            Hmmm, 38 words in one sentence. Naughty me.
                            Of course, since I've got the hardback, I won't be buying the paperback anyway.
                            Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

In a way, I suppose, my idea did have a little bit of the story right? Dairine and Nit and Kit are in different places, K and N are with the Lone Power, not like on opposite sides of the cover, which kind of reflects the book. I guess when I think of covers I think, "What would the cover look like if this were volume 7 of an anime...which major characters would they put on the front?" My problem with the original cover for WH is Nita looks really young, and Kit looks nothing like I imagined him at all, so it kind of detracts when I look at the cover, rather than thinking "There's some cool art of some of my favorite characters." On that note and for that reason, Wizard's Dilemma has the best art for the cover, since its most consistent with character discription and such, and its very beautiful, flat out.

Comment

Working...
                              X