Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you see someone in a store with SYWTBAW, what do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockingly enough, I have never seen another person in a B&N or Borders with SYWTBAW or any other YW book. Not only that I have never met anyone (in person that is) who has ever heard of the books . I think its high time the word got out! THE REVOLUTION WILL BE TELEVISED.
    "He who made kittens put snakes in the grass."

"Even if love does not dawn,
    The sun also rises,
    The day goes on."

Comment

• Well, I finally saw someone looking at SYWTBAW in the bookstore. In passing, I mentioned that it's a really really good series. Then, when I was standing in the checkout line with my books, I saw her with the whole series. Lucky, I wish I had the cash to buy the whole series...anyway, there's another person converted! How much longer until we take over the world? Hehe

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

• We shall be the little string sticking out of the spines of books for the entire world to be converted!

How's that for a YW metaphor?
        PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
        Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

• ive never seen anyone with the YW series, but if i ever did at a bookstore, i would totally recommend it...

im also pushing it to my friends, cause i mean i luv it so much...
          and i have extra copies of the book #'s 4,5,6,and 7, if anyone wants them. I can sell them to ya, if ya want..
          just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

• ah well, so far I have managed to get oneof my friends to read YW series, my other friend is considering it, and my other two friends laugh becuase I love it so much >.<!!!

Dai
            ~*If Time Has A Heart, Its Only Becuase Other Hearts Stop*~

Comment

• I've gotten three friends hooked on the series. I think one of the best things about the Harry Potter craze is that people are looking for other wizard series to fill the void between the HP books and the publishers are answering by reprinting great books like the Young Wizards series. But then, I consider YWs to be a far superior series to HP, but hey, that's not a bad thing to be a snob about good books and excellent writers like DD.

Comment

• going back a couple pages, i think it's outrageous that people want to ban books. I think that if the kid wants to read it, he should. Parents are allowed to intervien a bit, but not for everyone. That's just not fair!
                and the Great Gilly Hopkins? Come on! Goosebumps"?!?! Are they serious?!
                ok, anyways..

Zgirl wrote:
                I tried to get my friends into YW but some of them are like:
                "I WILL! Wait...how many pages is it?" "um...around 350." "Um...Never Mind."
                or---> "I WILL! I have so many other books to read first."
                But they never end up reading it.

tell me about it. I press my friends about it, and there like, "Well... i still have to finish Harry Potter." or "I've got a million books to read!" And I'll be like "Well, these are better!! READ THEM!! PLEASE!"

...ok, sorry for the insane moment.

and seriously, if anyobody wants books 4,5,6,or 7, i have extra copies!! i need to get rid of them!

Comment

• I've never seen anyone in a bookstore looking at them, though if I did I doubt I'd actually say anything. I'd be too scared. I'd want to try to make them read it though.

I have one friend who also likes them and we always loan books back and forth to eachother. We are always trying to get people to read any of the books we read. I think we've managed a few times though never with YW. Hopefully eventually people will pick them up. They're great books.
                  We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

• It's funny what people remember about the series... the other day, a friend was telling me that he'll have to buy me a new copy of SYWTBAW because his rabbit consumed mine before he could finish reading it. And another friend who overheard this said, "wait, isn't that the series where they go to the moon and have to compute how much air to bring with them?"

Probably not the key feature *I'd* remember about the series years later, but hey, whatever works. I guess I also win my bet with another friend that I could increase sales of the series by lightly coating my book's cover with carrot juice. ;-)
                    Ardub
                    r:w)

Comment

• Yay! I actually convinced one of my friends to read SYWTBAW!!! I'd been bugging her about it forever, so she finally caved!! (I think it also helped that she had a gift card to Borders.)

Another addict for our cause!!!

Sker'ret
                      Nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak! --Albus Dumbledore

I <3 Jamie Lawrence!!!!!! *squee*

Comment

• YAY!! I recruited someone, after recruiting her to another trilogy a year or two ago before I cae across this series. Another of my friends is reading SYWTBAW without realizing that its my fav. series! wait..that didn't come out gramaticallyn correct...

well, I told her, and now i think I have recruited two people to the crazyness!!

Comment

• Caitlin, I had quite a different encounter. I was at Barns and Nobles for the Midnihjt realese of HBP,(lol) and I saw two girls about my age examing the book SYWTBAW. I walked up behind her and said "you know, thats a really good book." and the one holding the book looked genuinly shocked. (I think I startled her alittle l.o.l.) She said "Yes, I know". (now it was my turn to be shocked. I had never met some one else who had even herd of them before.) Then the other girl said "Oh yeah she has. Im her sister and thats all she talks about, The Young Wizards Sires, she LOVES them!" The other girl started to turn red, clearly embarassed. I just smiled at her and said "Me too." and left with out another word.
                          Don't take life so seriously- you wont get out alive anyway.
                          I just got lost in thought…it was unfamiliar territory.
                          If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ardub:
                            another friend who overheard this said, "wait, isn't that the series where they go to the moon and have to compute how much air to bring with them?"

Probably not the key feature *I'd* remember about the series years later, but hey, whatever works.
                            I suppose the point of that was that it's unusual for stories using magic to make the characters work out such details. I'd think that the more unusual feature is the presence of aliens, particularly alien wizards - that, combined with the need to think about air, makes YW a science fiction series with magic, IMHO.
                            Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Murray:
                              I suppose the point of that was that it's unusual for stories using magic to make the characters work out such details. I'd think that the more unusual feature is the presence of aliens, particularly alien wizards - that, combined with the need to think about air, makes YW a science fiction series with magic, IMHO.
                              Therefore setting YW waaay apart from all the rest of the views of magic that American society is inundated with- like Sabrina teh Teenage Witch, where you point and thing happen, or HP where you wave a wand (or think) and things happen. With YW you actually have to put some effort into it. And it's slightly more modern than the whole "Double, bubble, toil and troubble" view of magic. And that's why I like YW so much more than HP and others- it's got much more of a real life application, ant it make much, much more sense for there to be work that one needs to put behind the magic to make it work.

And, I set all the "Box of Wizardry" sets at my Borders in prominence on top of the lone one bookshelf of YA books when I got there last time, and when I left, there were two less than when I got there. Which made me very happy.
                              PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                              Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

• If I see someone with a yw book, or any good book for that matter, I can't resist bringing it up. If it's not sywtbaw than I am like "Wasn't the first one good?" I am such a nerd I can't help talking w/ someone with a favorite book of mine in hand.
                                -AND I AM GOING TO EAT....IT... ALLLLLLLLLLLLL

Comment

Working...
                                X