Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you see someone in a store with SYWTBAW, what do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talkingbeast:
    ...Madeleine L'Engle. Some parents have objected to her books on religious grounds.
    What sort of religous grounds? I know a friend of mine found a bit overtly christian for his liking.

Originally posted by Lisa:
    If you have parents who won't let you read books, like my dad, that's not fair.
    My parents knew that the one certain way to make go to any length nessccary to read a book would be to ban me form reading it, so they never bothered. I was the sort of child who would read anything if it interested me (still do in fact). Also, the notion of whether a child is too young for a book can *only* be decided by letting them read it and find out for themselves.

Intellectual Freedom website... I was looking at the 100 most frequently challenged books 1990-2000, and 10 most challeneged books of 2003 and they made surprising reading. I wasn't that surpised to see Harry Potter featuring, but was surprised by Of Mice and Men (#3 in 2003) "for offensive language". Now, I spent considerable time studying it for GCSE English Literature, and I really cannot see how the language is offensive. (GCSEs = UK end of compulsory schooling exams, taken at age 16).
    the other book on the list which bugs me hugely is Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which is there on grounds of racism. I know this stems because the exsistence of 'Nîgger Jim'. The challenges ignore the fact that 'Nîgger' did not have the racist connatations it does today, and that the entire book is written with an anti-racist agenda.

Sigh... it's things like this which make people hate the USA. Maybe if the political system wasn't so completely and utterly corrupt, it would be less of a problem.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

What sort of religous grounds? I know a friend of mine found a bit overtly christian for his liking.
      According to the _2001 Banned Books Resource Guide_ there were cases in 1985, 1991, and 1996 when parents (and one unspecified person) challenged _A Wrinkle in Time_ "contending the story poromoted witchcraft, crystal balls, and demons" "because the book sends a mixed signal to children about good and evil. The complaint also objected to listing the name of Jesus Christ together with the names of great artists, philosphers, scientists and religious leaders when referring to deenders of Earth against evil" and "becuase it allegedly undermines religious beliefs"

Other people have a view more like your friend's. I have a book here with a quote from John Rowe Townsend who says the themes in L'Engle's books 'are determined by what the author is; and she is a practicing and active Christian. Many writers' religious beliefs appear immaterial to their work; Miss L'Engel's are crucial.' If you ever get a chance to read an interview with L'Engel she is a very interesting lady- committed, definitely, but pretty different from most who write in the "Christian fiction" genre.

Do you already know about the Freedom to Read Foundation?

Comment

Reading banned books lists inevitably makes me really sad. It's bad enough when I see a book that at least I can understand why it's banned, even if I think it shouldn't be- Fine, so Go Ask Alice is a book that is moving and relevant and IMPORTANT on Young Adult shelves; a book that, possibly, is in the position to really help young women; so what? It's got sex and drugs and teenage pregnancy in it, right, it's out on its ear. I think it's terrible and stupid, but at least I understand.

But Bridge to Terabithia? I do not and will never understand why you would ban that book. *upset* In the Night Kitchen? What, it's got nudity in it or something? it's a children's book! A picture book! Annie on my Mind, fine (despite the fact that you probably will not get a sweeter book about crushes) but James and the Giant Peach? What, exactly, is not to like? I guess I understand The Chocolate War, but ANASTASIA KRUPNIK? *head explodes* Why?

I guess book banners don't work by the same rules as most people, but for crying out LOUD. Anastasia? I kinda feel sick just reading the list. I mean, some of most inoffensive books I can think of are there, while, say, The Sword of Truth series- which I like, BTW- which has fairly large amounts of fairly graphic violence, rape, etc- are totally ignored, I suppose because they're not aimed at children but... And they've got The Chocolate War but not Fade?

Also, it made me remember that my aim two years ago was to read all the books on the list. I, um, still haven't. But oh well.

Sorry, blethering on OTly.
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

PM i was wrong! It was not so you want to be a wizard! it was Eragon!! hahaha I always go in Waterstones to see if they have started stocking it and must have seen Eragon by accident! To be honest I use Amazon to Buy these books. Your right I have never seen them in a book shop which is a shame! But I have written a review I think on Amazon saying how good they are! I surpose thats the only way I can recomend them
          Where can i see a copy of this banned list? I would be interested in seeing it! Does anyone know if the UK has a banned list like this?
          Fox
          God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Originally posted by Fox:
            Does anyone know if the UK has a banned list like this?
            Fox
            I have *never* heard of a case in the UK where a group of parents have got together to make a school change who it can and can't issue a particular book to. These matters are considered best left to the libarians at indivudual schools. A parent could request that a child not be issued a book, but never a blanket ban.... thank goodness.
            "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

I bought the first four in Dillons, which Waterstones later took over. Oh, and both my Feline Wizards books came from there, too. However, that was back when they had British publishers. If you want to find them in an actual shop, you'd have to look for somewhere like Forbidden Planet in London.

I don't know about a banned list for the UK.
              Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Its a shame that you cant buy these books in these shops! I mean Waterstones i thought was a UK Bookshop! So why dont they sell UK Written books. I mean yes I know DD is American but she is a UK citizen! they should promote UK authors!! I did go to London a couple of months ago and we never did find Forbidden planet! The firend i was with who wantted to go there for his comics got really miffed when we all ganged up and said that an hour was more than enough time wasted looking for that shop! dont think he was happy but we only had a short amount of time there!! Might look for it again next time i go!

Oh and thank god for that Wilf!! I did not think that there had been any banning but to be honest it would not effect me too much! i mean with internet shopping you could easly get banned books anyway! its the children I feel sorry for! they have a right to make there own minds up about what books they read! why should people enforce their own thoughts on these children!!
                Fox

Comment

A lot of the books on that list, I can understand why someone would dislike them. Still, they should NOT be banned. The one I'm upset about most though is Bridge to Terebithia. That is one of the best books I've ever read. And that's saying something, because I consider that realistic fiction, and generally I don't like realistic fiction. But that book was so good it made me cry. There is NOTHING wrong with it.

And another thing. Why are so many fantasy/sci-fi books banned? Just because they have magic or "supernatural powers"? Please. Grrrr.
                  Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
                  "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
                  "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

I mean Waterstones i thought was a UK Bookshop! So why dont they sell UK Written books. I mean yes I know DD is American but she is a UK citizen!
                    Actually, the Republic of Ireland isn't in the UK, even if it is quite close. Unfortunately, none of DD's books seem to have UK publishers, which is probably the main problem. (Right. So what about DC's graphic novels? Aren't they published in the US? I've seen them in Ottakars or Waterstones or both.) (Uhh...)

I did go to London a couple of months ago and we never did find Forbidden planet!
                    I remember you mentioning that. Hence the reference to having to "look for" somewhere like Forbidden Planet .
                    Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

I remember telling you PM! just in case you forgot i thought i would mention it again! lol hahaha. Lisa you made some good points there. Dont forget for something like the last 2000 our culture has been run by religion. Its a very strong part of life, I know some religions dont like Harry Potter and Im not going into any of that now because its a very prickly subject but I think people are still using religious guidelines in a way when they want books banned. I think over the next 15 years we are going to see a switch in our culture from religion to science which might also mean that its acceptable to read read these books. I think the best way to go around these bannings are to talk to your parents and maybe start an action group of your own. Alot of schools these days have a student concil that report to the school! i might look up that book you mentioned!
                      Fox

Comment

I know some religions dont like Harry Potter and Im not going into any of that now because its a very prickly subject but I think people are still using religious guidelines in a way when they want books banned. I think over the next 15 years we are going to see a switch in our culture from religion to science which might also mean that its acceptable to read read these books.
                        Heh. It could go the other way, and the books get banned because they're not scientifically accurate , but thats just me thinking too much.

I was in Pulp Fiction today and the copies of SYWTBAW and DW that they had on Tuesday have gone. I dunno if they were bought by someone who has read them before or what, but yes... I'm just doing what kli suggested and posting stuff in their respective topics

Alla

Comment

UPDATE! I actually reccommended SYWTBAW to someone at a book stall at the Uni markets today, and she bought it!!! Yay! Thats one for me!

Comment

*shaking with rage* I...am...just...so...mad at this.

*explodes* I mean, what kind of person tries to put down 'To kill a mockingbird'??? And 'Lord of the flies'...admittedly, there is some violence, but *all caps* these are masterpieces!!! These people....*chokes* *coughs* I give up. I'm going to read as many of these books as I can find, that are avaliable. They can thank their lucky stars the YW series isn't up for *witchcraft and other idiotic stuff which is going to poison our children's minds, and destroy their faith*.

Comment

*points* See, this is why BANNING BOOKS DOESN'T WORK.

*so amused*
                              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I'm using the quick reply button for the first time! Heh, just wanted to say that. (It's because my computer's really slow and didn't let me use the normal button.)

Anyway, slightly on topic, I'm going to do a booktalk, which is like an oral book report, on the Young Wizards books! Or, at least one of them. Which one do you suggest? I'm get to stand in front of the class and tell people about how good the book is and tell them they should read it because it's so good. It actually says in the project description that you're trying to "sell" it.

And on the book banning thing, I get angry just thinking about it. I'm lucky that the librarians in my school libraries, this year and last, are really nice. Last year, they were getting rid of some of the really old books, and they let me have my pick of them. They also ALWAYS take my advice whenever I suggest some good books.
                                Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
                                "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
                                "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

Working...
                                X