Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you see someone in a store with SYWTBAW, what do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm another unfortunate Brit who relies on Amazon! Though I bought SYWTBAW secondhand somewhere. I have however sold Tamora Pierce to someone in waterstones, been persuaded into reading Northern Lights (The Golden Compass to the rest of the world) and went onto reading them all, and have struck up random conversations with strangers in bookshops when I've seen them reading books I like

Uh..Hi Ya'll by the way!

Nius
    ~~ a.k.a Knight of Ni! ~~

Comment

Took me a while to think of an obvious one-- Madeleine L'Engle. Some parents have objected to her books on religious grounds, too, though. It might be fun to suggest _Heaven's War_ (a graphic novel that features C.S. Lewis and Tolkien as characters). It's hard to know exactly where a person's hangups will be. I've always thought _Deep Wizardry_ made for good Eucharistic theology!
      One thing that bugs me about "Christian fiction" is how much plagiarism I've noticed within it. You'd think if an author was worrying about morality (sigh)...
      I wonder how some ban-prone parents might react to _Dealing With Dragons_ where the witches are good and the wizards are evil?

Comment

Dealing With Dragons was awesome! I don't see why parents are so worried about children getting 'magical' ideas from books. Its rather strange to me - ok, so my dad is a bookworm who had me reading them from when I was about six, but still. Adults should be more worried about the sort of TV shows that their kids are watching. At least books stimulate the imagination. Anyways... IMHO, some of the religious stories are pretty fantastical too like (coming from a bit of a christian background), say, walking on water?...

Comment

On occasion, someone will ask me if I know a good book for them, especially at school. I am extremely shy, so I try to avoid these situations, but when they do occur, I send them straight to the fantasy/sci-fi section. Sometimes in bookstores, if I see a girl my age looking at a good book I will tell her to read it, and maybe give her other good suggestions.

On book banning: I can't stand the thought of people not being allowed to read what they want! I am very sensitive to that kind of thing because my dad is very Catholic and generally won't let me read fantasy or sci-fi. He's actually taken books away from me before. I got hooked on Lord of the Rings about two years ago and even though I read them (in secret) at his house (my parents are divorced) he didn't know I liked them until my mom told him.
          Also, in the newspaper one time, I heard of a book burning. They burned a lot of books with magic in them, including Harry Potter.
          Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
          "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
          "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

Iv'e never seen anyone either, but I bring the books to school and tell kids about them sometimes. I also have done a book report on AWAb.

Comment

I can see where the idea for banning some books come from. I have read a few books that I find quite disturbing in my time, but the way I see it, if you do not like the book, put it down and get anther one. It is just like all this controversy over the video games now day. If you do not care for the violence, then do not get it.

I find that book burning more disturbing the banning of books. The thing about such is, when they have the burning, where do they get the books??? If they buy them themselves, they are giving their money to the author who wrote the book. If they are getting them via charity, money is still being given to the author. So no matter what they do, they are still paying the author for what they do. They are only burning their own profit. That is how I see it.
              "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed." ~G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I'm not sure where the books were from, Gibby, but I think they were from libraries. It was some sort of church, and they were burning anything "against God" or something like that. They also burned Oija (sp?) boards. I still have the article somewhere, and I'll post more when I find it.
                Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
                "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!

Comment

I found the link to the article.
                  http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...&notFound=true

Okay, there it is. I know this post is short. Sorry.

Comment

Just in case you wanted somewhere to go for more information on the whole book-banning vs. First Amendment Rights thing, the American Library Association has a great Intellectual Freedom page.

Wouldn't you love having that department in your job title? "I work for the Office of Intellectual Freedom!"

Guess I'll re-read a Harry Potter for this year's Banned Book Week.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

My least favorite part of that article is the thing about kids not being allowed to check out books unless they have a parent's permission. If the library has the book, you should be able to get it. If you have parents who won't let you read books, like my dad, that's not fair.

When is Banned Book Week?

Comment

Is that true! that you cant get books out without parant permission!! WOW! Is that even legal? I mean I could understand if the books had Adult content but everyone is indervidual and have differant tastes! This is crazy! So is it the same if you go into a book shop? I mean if you cant get a book out at the library without a parent then waht about a book shop? Will they ask parents to come in wiht there children now to buy books! Mind you in a library at least you can stay in and read the books there!
                        Fox
                        God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Lisa wrote:
                          When is Banned Books Week?
                          The website says September 24-October 1, 2005. The 2006 Banned Books Week is September 23-September 30.
                          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Fox:
                            Will they ask parents to come in wiht there children now to buy books! Mind you in a library at least you can stay in and read the books there!
                            Fox
                            Uh-oh, I'll have to stop buying books...

I wonder; what about buying online? Would a parent have to log in to Amazon at the same time as the child? Though, if you can only buy with a credit card, I suppose the parent has to be the one who buys them.
                            Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

I never thought of that PM!! I mean what is the world coming to when they take away the right to read! Thats got to be against Human rights!! I'm so glade Im in the UK and not the USA! mind you it would not effect me and PM as we are surpose to be adults! hahaha well I know Im not! How about you PM?

I was in the book shop the other day and I was in the young adults section just to see what they had and this kid walked past! I nearly started to tell him to get the Wizard series but I thought it might look werid that a young man was talking to a boy in a cornor of the book shop!!
                              Fox
                              God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Adult? Oh! You mean, adults don't have to get their parents' permission? Good, I can still buy books then!

Ok, just ordered the first two Rihannsu books from Amazon, so I can find out what they're like.

You've got a bookshop that sells the YW books? Wow! I thought you had to go to shops like Forbidden Planet to find them nowadays.
                                Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X