Dairine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dairine

Does anyone else think that besides Kit and Nita that Dairine is the best? Sure, she's supposed to be the bratty sister, but I find her my favorite besides Nita.

"No, I will NOT move your planet! What do you want to move it for? It's fine where it is!"

Comment

I don't like Dairine much, but you have to have pity or something when you think how busy she must be.

*Ella*
      *Ella*
      "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
      There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
      And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
      What could mean more than this?"
      --Bright Eyes

Comment

Yay! Look at people who like her!

"No, I will NOT move your planet! What do you want to move it for? It's fine where it is!"

Comment

http://www.geocities.com/booknightmoon

Comment

She's my second fave YW character in the list that goes Kit, Dairine, Arhu, Tom, Carl, Nita, Ed, Fred, Ponch...

I WANT HER PYJAMAS!

*blushes*

In the sense of having little yodas all over my pyjamas, not Dairine's actual ones... I have the feeling hers wouldn't fit me anyway...

Hannah [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

http://timeheart.fateback.com

'Felis Catus is your taxonomic nomenclature. An endothermic qaudroped, carniverous by nature.'
            'Felis Catus is your taxonomic nomenclature. An endothermic qaudroped, carniverous by nature.'

Comment

Dairine(I can't even spell it)I don't really like her all that much my favorite character is Nita but if I had to make a list it would go like this
              1.Nita
              2.Kit
              3.Ronan(I have a friend who is just like him)
              4.Peach(One of the powers that be too cool)
              5.Johanne(The girl who beats up Nita sad but I like her style she dosen't put up with anything)
              6.The Lone Power(He makes the story a little more interesting)
              7.Tom and Carl (they are equall)
              8.Rhiow(In the book of night with moon and to visit the queen)
              9.Ponch
              10.Nita's mom (she was a big part of the story in "A Wizards Dilemma" and the way she fought back against the Lone Power totally rocked to sad she dies though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img])

*Nita*

Comment

Sigh...I never liked her very much in the first few books - she was always the bratty younger sister - and later, when she got her wizardry, I felt defensive for Nita and disliked her even more because she had more power than Nita (hmmm...I wonder who I like better [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]). But then, in _Dilemma_, I started to feel differently about her. With all that was going on with Nita's (and her) mom, it would be hard not to feel bad for Dairine, even if she was an incredibly evil person. But she isn't and now that she and Nita seem closer and seem to get along better (atleast, they did in the last book) she seems more tolerable now.

But I have to admit...those were awesome pyjamas. Especially compared to my plain plaid ones. *Sigh...*

~Em~
                "But victory's certain. Never think otherwise. There is loss, and there is pain, and in your home frame of reference, they're real enough, not to be devalued. But today the energy's running out of things just a little more slowly...for those who tru

Comment

Dairine's never been my favorite character either. Partly because she is the bratty younger sister, and I already have one of those. I am also defensive on Nita's behalf, so that didn't help. And having her introduced as a main character only in the third book didn't help either. By that time I was already very attached to Nita and Kit, so I wanted the story to focus on them. I just wasn't as interested in Dairine, and I think it colored my reaction to her character. I don't dislike her, and of course I felt bad for her during Dilemma, but I don't like her nearly as much as some of the others.

Leisure without literature is death, or rather the burial of a living man
                  Leisure without literature is death, or rather the burial of a living man

Comment

*ugh* Bratty younger sisters; tell me about it. At least mine isn't a genius. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] (No offense meant, sis)

*Ella*
                    *Ella*
                    "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                    There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                    And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                    What could mean more than this?"
                    --Bright Eyes

Comment

I don't have a bratty younger sister of my own (thank god), but I do have some *achem* other relatives that could fall into a category like that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img].

~Em~
                      "But victory's certain. Never think otherwise. There is loss, and there is pain, and in your home frame of reference, they're real enough, not to be devalued. But today the energy's running out of things just a little more slowly...for those who tru

Comment

I still want her pyjamas... *cackles wildly*

My favourite airine moments are in "A Wizard Abroad." 8sighs bitterly* She's just so *cool*. i would like to think if she was my lil sis, I would admire her greatly, but I actually think she would drive me insane after ten minutes.

Pah. Who wants to be sane anyway?

Hannah [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

http://timeheart.fateback.com

Comment

The thing that bugs me about her is that she acts so damn smart. I feel so close to Nita (don't laugh at me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]) and her bitter feelings about her sister become mine too. I bet if I had a sister like Dairine, she would drive me insane after ten minutes too. (But according to most of my friends, I'm already insane: nothing's changed there). *Sigh* I guess I'm just too used to being the smart one... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

But those are great pyjamas...

~Em~

Comment

I personally adore Dairine.
                            A lot of people seem to be saying that they saw her as the bratty younger sister in the first two books, and that because of her late introduction as a wizard it makes it hard to identify with her. And that makes a lot of sense. Identifying with Nita in the first place makes it hard to like her 'bratty little sister' later, especially those of us who have or have had bratty little sisters or brothers(I know I have). Also it is very obvious to me that we as the reader are supposed to identify with Nita, and I think in that instance Dairine is used as more of a plot device than a character.
                            I think that what helps to redeem Dairine in my eyes is that in High Wizardry she is a character more than a plot device, not only that, her whole quest for knowledge, and being more intelligent than Nita is painted in a wholly sympathetic light.
                            If you recall in HW, it was Nita coming home crying from her first day of school that prompted Dairine to value the pursuit of knowledge so much. When Dairine starts to learn things quickly even more quickly than her sister she doesn't understand why Nita is so upset, its a victory to them both in her eyes.
                            And at heart is Dairine so different from Nita? I don't think so. The same basic traits are shown and exhibited in different ways, but they both love reading, they both are wizards, so they both obviously have enough of the tendency toward wizardry.
                            Besides, somehow I mostly see Dairine as the ultimate fan. She finds out about wizardry, and then finds out that she may never have it, but she still wants it so badly. I see so much of my own and others fascination with magic in Dairine and that's part of what makes me like her. And I always had a soft spot for the stubborn ones...
                            (BTW, this is my first post here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] So hi everyone!)

Jesus is coming. Look busy.
                            Dan! Eric's playing the piano again! HELP!!!
                            -courtersy of the cast of JCS

Comment

I do have a bratty little sister like Dairine but the only difference is that she is not super smart she is just a pain in the butt but aren't all little sister's?

*Nita*

Comment

Working...
                              X