No announcement yet.

Callahan=Cuchulain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm. Behindthename is a good site, and my sole online name resource for many a month. It says . . . that Jenny was formerly a pet form of Jane, but is now a short form of Jennifer, which has absolutely nothing to do with John etc. Jeanie is a 'medieval variant of Jane'.

Speaking of which, look up Jane. Do I need a new glasses prescription, or is it basically saying that Jane is a feminine version of John? Which is the English version of Juan? Which is the male version of Juana, which is the name from whence comes Juanita?

I probably just need a new prescription. ^_^

"...Not old enough to love as yet
    But old enough to die, indeed
    The death-fear bites my throat and heart
    Fanged cousin to the Pale One's breed
    But past the fear lies life for them
    Perhaps for me; and past my dread
    Past loss of Mastery and life
    The Sea shall yet give up Her dead..." /Song of the Twelve, Deep Wizardry./ (c) Diane Duane

Comment

*grins at Jenny* I think you're right, yes. And they all work out to "God's gift" or some approximation thereof -- except that I think they might be abbreviated, because "Jonathan" and "Nathaniel" are both translated that way, with Hebrew origins, and I'm fairly sure that "Jah" or "Yah" and "El" are both the 'God' part of the name.

Hm. Mrs. Callahan's name is given as Betty, which is derived (or can be, at least) from Elizabeth, which was the name of the mother of John the Baptist, whose name Nita's is related to.

But I think that's kind of pushing it.

Comment

Just a bit...

*checks* Nope, didn't think so. I define good name sites as one which has my name on it: ie, so far, none. Oh well.
        T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
        Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
        Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
        Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
        My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
        Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I think I remember a mention of her having Spanish roots. Maybe her mother is Spanish and her father is Irish.

I think that the whole Cuchulain name would be appropriate, as they seem to guard the universe(s) a whole lot.

Comment

tualha said that the spaniards invaded ireland at one point, maybe.....

i'm the queen of insanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Comment

juan and juanita are female and male forms of the same name, jon is english for juan, and juanita would be jane or jeannie or something like that, I'm not sure, but i do know juanita is a hispanic name, seeing as i live about 10 min. from mexico, i think i have it right(not to be rude)

Comment

I believe that her parents just liked the name Juanita. She could very well have been of Irish decent. After all, Dairine is supposed to have red hair. I'm thinking her mother does as well, but I tired to look it up and couldn't find it. That might have stuck in my head from something else I read.
                  "Go ahead! Panic! Do it now to avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!"

Comment

My great-great-grandfather was from Ireland. His name was Ferdinand. Not exactly an Irish name for an O'Hara to have. Appararntly, there's some serious Spanish influence on with western end of Ireland, somewhere. Which would explain the name. Then again, Nita's mom could've been Spanish (or of hispanic descent), since we don't know much about her family. We know a good deal about Nita's dad's family (you know, Biddy and all).

And Katie, just a note: I absolutely LOVE your avatar, but it's a wee big. To help keep down the costs of this sucker, we keep our avatars fairly small. I know there are rules about that posted somewhere...
                    PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                    Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

Working...
                    X