No announcement yet.

Callahan=Cuchulain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect that last line was a terrible attempt at a pun. If that is the case, I am chastising you. Severely.
    heh.
    T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
    Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
    Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
    Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
    My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
    Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Maybe we should ask the Irish how to pronounce Cthulhu.
      Umm... no. After all, if you pronounced it correctly, you would summon him, and that would be A Bad Thing.
      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Comment

It actually wasn't... that bad. It made me laugh. But still.
          T
          PS: Ah, you're back? You've been busy lately, no?
          PPS: Yes, you always turn the conversation towards yourself.
          PPPS: Seen the Matrix Reloaded yet?

Tuibird in Aotearoa
          Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
          Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
          Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
          My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
          Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Comment

Juanita is indeed a Spanish name, it's the Spanish form of Jane.

But then, Dairine is an Irish name, so . . . (Am checking with list of favorite Irish names)

According to this, and I make no guarantees about the accuracy, Dairine means 'fruitful', or 'fertile'. o_O Uh . . . okay . . .

My (reallife) name is Italian; I have brothers with Hebrew names, a sister named 'Joy'. We're of Portuguese and Danish decent. Go figure. Apparently, Mr. and Mrs. C were just going with names they liked. (Yikes, I talk like they exist. I disturb myself sometimes)

Cuchulain (sometimes Cuchulainn) was actually a figure in Irish myths--very briefly, he got his name because someone took him to their house and he killed their guard dog (something supposedly impossible, esp. as he was a kid at the time). The owner of the house was then minus a guard dog, so Cuchulain said he'd guard the house. Thus, Cuchulain, 'Hound of Culann'.

As with all myths, this story has many versions, but that's the first version I heard, so that's what I'm sticking with. :P

"...Not old enough to love as yet
              But old enough to die, indeed
              The death-fear bites my throat and heart
              Fanged cousin to the Pale One's breed
              But past the fear lies life for them
              Perhaps for me; and past my dread
              Past loss of Mastery and life
              The Sea shall yet give up Her dead..." /Song of the Twelve, Deep Wizardry./ (c) Diane Duane

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny Young:

But then, Dairine is an Irish name, so . . . (Am checking with list of favorite Irish names)

According to this, and I make no guarantees about the accuracy, Dairine means 'fruitful', or 'fertile'. o_O Uh . . . okay . . .
                Sure she's fruitful. She's the mother of an entire species, isn't she?

-- Dex Lives No, I'm not the author. I just think you should read it.--

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny Young:
                    Juanita is indeed a Spanish name, it's the Spanish form of Jane.
                    I thought Juanita was the feminine form of the Spanish translation of John. Juan, Juanita? Right?

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.

Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.
                    I will rejoice in the moonlight;
                    I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
                    For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.

Comment

Comment

We have spanish names in spanish class and my name was once Juana, that meant Joan, I wanted Joan of Arc (I was obsessed) but oh well, so Jane and Juanita sound different but it's extremly likely that they are the same.

*Agent~M*

I'm a walking talking dictionary, until you ask me about America.
                        *Agent~M*
                        "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                        "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                        "I could live

Comment

Well, the origins of names are very often foggy, so, yeah, my book that said Juanita was the Spanish form of Jane could very well be wrong.

Little bit of information that I have never confirmed but has always held true in my experience: when you add 'ita' to a Spanish name, it becomes a nickname. For instance: my family is adopting a Guatemalan baby, whose name is Kiara. Her foster family--who speak Spanish--refer to her as Kiarita. (Isn't that cuuute? Ahem.)

So. It would seem that 'Juanita' is a nickname for 'Juana', which is the feminine version of 'Juan', which is the Spanish form of John. *fans self* Wow, there are many more nuances to Nita's name than I knew.

I think I'll just call her Nita. ^_^

"...Not old enough to love as yet
                          But old enough to die, indeed
                          The death-fear bites my throat and heart
                          Fanged cousin to the Pale One's breed
                          But past the fear lies life for them
                          Perhaps for me; and past my dread
                          Past loss of Mastery and life
                          The Sea shall yet give up Her dead..." /Song of the Twelve, Deep Wizardry./ (c) Diane Duane

Comment

Name etymology links, if you're interested.

Juanita

Juana

Juan

John

Rather a simplistic site, but I'm at work and don't have time to do much real hunting.

Comment

So it is the female form of Juan? What would that be in English?

*Agent~M*

I'm a walking talking dictionary, until you ask me about America.
                              *Agent~M*
                              "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                              "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                              "I could live

Comment

The equivalent's probably Jeannie or Jenny.

Comment

Working...
                                X