Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The paperback cover doesn't make sense to me....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I as the topic starter, the one who started all this discussion, am going to give you the image.

This is exactly the one that I have. Although right now I'm faintly remembering looking at this image (which is from YW.com, by the way, if you click on "A Wizard Abroad" it's displayed to the left of the book information) and looking at my own copy and going, "What? There are a few little things that are quite different!" Although I guess they used a different image, or I was looking a different one, because this one looks exactly like mine....
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

i hate to break it to you, eric, but all i'm getting is an x. and not even a big x! a small one! *might at some point look for it myself* when i have more time that is...*is trying to get through a whole weekend of posts currently*
      I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
      For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Try right-clicking the X and say "View Image", or something along the lines of that.

That's using Firefox, it's probably different for Internet Explorer or Safari or whatever you may use.

If you still can't see it then I'll give you a link to the page I find it at.
        "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Yeah that's the copy I have (or rather "have read" sense i dont yet own WAd). I never actually focused on the ships but I always wondered about the people. I didnt think about the cat either.
          Look closely at your next subway token... and talk to strangers...
          Darth Vader, look out. Here I come.
          iPsych- The Website for the Only Psych Podcast

Comment

The cat is Tualha, the kitten Bard.

Sorry about the one-liner. Although it's not a one-liner now.

Comment

I think that the girl on the right is Nita, the guy is Ronan, and the other girl is Darine. I have no idea about the ships though...
              Worlds biggest fangirl...future star of broadway...dictionary for the forum...in love with way to may fictional characters...You can call me Nate, everyone else does...I wonder if, when I finish my book, I'll have an awesome website with cool forums

Comment

All right. This is an old thread. Yeah. But I have to post before I pop from the info, and I didn't want to make a new thread since this one seems appropriate.
                WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COVER?!1!!1?? Look at Nita's face! That is not right!!!

I mean, I loved the cover that Eric posted, above, for a very long time, even though I didn't know what it meant. (I assumed it was Ronan/Kit holding up Nita during the re-enactment battle, since everyone was tired, and Nita was imploring Ronan to use the Spear. With Dairine stuck in there for some reason.)

But what happened here? I am flabbergasted: because on this site, where there's a review of the YW books, they have all the other covers and they all have
                THE SAME PROBLEM.

So either there's a new edition (s) out there, or someone digitally altered Kit's and Nita's faces in every single picture! I am horrified at the sacrilige!

But really: Why? What would be the point of making the covers subtly different?

Sorry if I ranted a little.

Comment

That really is weird! I have that cover, and Nita's face does not look like that on mine. I mean, I got mine four years ago, so I guess they could have changed it a little bit since then, but it still looks weird. When you search Google images, the "normal" version of that (aka the one I have, that is similar to that strange one) still shows up, but the altered copy shows up too. Strange!

Comment

Same with my covers. It looks like they changed all the faces on every cover. I think it's especially noticeable on the Wizard's Dilemma cover. It just looks wrong.
                    "Reading one book is like eating one potato chip."- DD

Comment

I know! Check out the SYWTBAW cover: what happened?

Nita looks totally different. I think this one is the worst: I actually don't mind the WD cover all that much, but this one I DO. :P

Comment

Okay, I'm just gonna post links.
                        This is what the cover of MY So You Want To Be A Wizard book look like. Is this what everyone else is talking about???

This is my Deep Wizardry

High Wizardry

(just in case anyone's wondering, I'm also posting these as a frame of reference... so we won't have to try and remember what they heck they look like, and then get confused when we see a slightly different cover... at least for me, anyways. =P )

A Wizard Abroad
                        EDIT:: Holy CRAP! I just looked two pages back, and realized this IS slightly different! Not all of the girl's face is visible in the cover I have! This one is FREAKY!!!! What the heck?!?!?!!!!! (I'm freakin out, mannnn!)

Wizard's Dilemma

A Wizard Alone

Wizard's Holiday

Wizards at War

Someone better freakin appreciate this.... cuz "wizard" sounds all funny in my head now, like there's three z's... lol
                        Last edited by Wolf; January 22, 2010, 12:55:51 AM.
                        ..................~*Wolf*~..................
                        AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
                        Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

Comment

Wolf: Compare your SYWTBAW cover and the one I posted...well. It's way freakier. Your Nita and my Nita are totally. different. Different posture, different hair and clothes, different weight and figure and age and ethnicity...plus, the weird Nita's legs don't match her torso.

Kit is different too, in the same ways.

And...omygosh! I just noticed that in the weird one, the air bridge is all blurry, but in the right one, it's a nice clean zig zag.

See, the elements are there and at a glance it's the same, but up close the two covers are very different.

alla: That would be a good explanation, but I don't buy it. What would be the point of putting out two different covers, one with aesthetically pleasing human figures and one with...less pleasing ones that look like paper cutouts somehow and don't match the descriptions in the book itself. I think someone had a go at this with Photoshop, since I can't find these odd covers anywhere else, not even in the many "editions-of-author's-works" sites I've browsed through.

Comment

Ok, so I made a side-by-side comparison... and it's really freaky!!

..................~*Wolf*~..................
                              AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
                              Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SilveredBlue View Post
                                alla: That would be a good explanation, but I don't buy it. What would be the point of putting out two different covers, one with aesthetically pleasing human figures and one with...less pleasing ones that look like paper cutouts somehow and don't match the descriptions in the book itself. I think someone had a go at this with Photoshop, since I can't find these odd covers anywhere else, not even in the many "editions-of-author's-works" sites I've browsed through.
                                I don't think its just a photoshopped fan mock up, as the background of the image is the same, albeit a little bit sharper, and it can be found in more than one location.

Here is another website that uses that image of the SYW cover:
                                http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/...-be-wizard.htm. This site gives its publication date as 2001.

Here's the "strange" AWAb cover at amazon - publication date of June 2001:
                                http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...F8&me=&seller=
                                I'm actually finding more images of the "different" cover for AWAb - the one you've posted as being the strange one - than of the one where it looks more like Dairine is one the outside of the trio, which you could then argue isn't an accurate description because Dairine's meant to have red hair. What's the publication date of your copy?

For the different Wizard's Dilemma cover shown on the site you link to, it could be a difference between the hardcover and soft cover titles. I don't have a hardcover to compare to my dad's paperback, but I know that there is a huge difference between the cover images of AWAl. Doesn't work for the earlier books though, as their hard cover images are from much earlier printings (except for the 20th Anniversary Edition of SYW, but that's a different thing altogether).

Comment

Working...
                                X