No announcement yet.

Please unlock a thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK... Well I had said that DD obviously has an Internet connection in her house. And she must have multiple computers connected to it. So somewhere in her house there has to be a LAN hub, or a LAN center, or whatever those things are called. And plug a server in to that LAN hub, and voila! Internet connection for the server.

Yes, DD not having time to maintain a server does make sense to me. But what question did I ask? I'm confused...

And, again, what's this have to do with phone bills?

Please... I am not trying to argue with you or DD about how to get the YW.net site available to everybody... I was just trying to throw out an idea that may save quite a bit of DD's money. Now I understand that this won't work because DD, being busy as she is, God bless her, just doesn't have the time to take the responsibilities of such a thing.
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

A personal internet connection isn't the same as running a server. Think of it this way--100 people can hit the site at the same time. That's like getting 100 calls into the house. A personal internet connection assumes a handful of users and their bandwidth.

An enterprise server, like one for Amazon, has to be able to handle hundreds of thousands of hits simultaneously. You need a LOT more bandwidth for a server than you do for a client.

This board requires more than a personal connection can handle. And that amount of bandwidth is charged at a very different rate--like for a business phone line than a personal one.

That's where phone bills come in. The more you use the more you pay.

There's also the issue of a server always expected to be up-and-running. You can't turn it off.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Not to mention connection types for bandwidth purposes.

If you go in an office building you can enter a room and see their servers and connection. This is something some people like the concept of for a server base. They have a whole room dedicated to it.

Servers and bandwidth on a commercial level are not the same as posting to forums and connecting on the internet. Kli6 may be frustrated at you(I cannot speak of her feelings on the subject)but she is actually trying to explain that fact specifically. Another way to put it though might be. "We have rules for a reason, and we aren't the only place on the internet to post info. If you feel it is unfair to follow the rules, than there are places that don't have those rules and you can go there. Otherwise, please follow the rules."

Comment

OK, now I completely understand why it wouldn't work. Because of the personal connection. She'd have to upgrade to a connection that allows more bandwidth, and that'd eventually cost the same as it would to have the site be here.

And EM- I don't feel it's unfair to follow the rules. They're certainly more strict here than any other forum, but they're not so strict that it scares me away. The only thing that bothers me are those three people who go around and criticize everybody for their format, spelling, etc. (You know who you are, and for other people I'm SURE you know who they are). No, Kli6 it's your job to do this, and if you do come and point out someone's mistake, you're nice about it, see to it that the mistake gets corrected, and forget about it after that. But the other three know they you are....
          "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

I'm not always nice to newbies, Eric, but I was polite to you. It honestly seems to me like you just want someone to hate, and I happened to be there. It may be Kathy's "job" to help people, but the admins are busy and can't always be around to help new people. Therefore, many regular users try to help out. All I was doing was pointing out a rule that you had missed, and I don't appreciate the constant jabs about "some people" in every one of your posts where they will fit.

When I joined the forum, we didn't have mods. Lee relied on nothing more than older users helping out the new ones. Since mods/admins were appointed, no one expected the users to stop pointing out rules- help is appreciated, because as I said, the admins are busy a lot of the time.

I don't hate you, and please stop taking anything I say to you as an attack.

Comment

Originally posted by wildflower:
              It honestly seems to me like you just want someone to hate, and I happened to be there. It may be Kathy's "job" to help people, but the admins are busy and can't always be around to help new people. All I was doing was pointing out a rule that you had missed, and I don't appreciate the constant jabs about "some people" in every one of your posts where they will fit.
              I don't like to hate people. I don't like being frustrated with people. I really DO appreciate you trying to help out, but you just have to be nicer about it, ask nicely for someone to correct something, see that it gets done, and forget about it, like I was saying before that Kathy does. And I wasn't asking for help... however, probably a better word phrase would be "to correct new people." And you were pointing out more than "a" rule that I had missed.... There was the "issue" about the repetitive nightmare thread that I deleted and forgot about, upon your more-than-asking to, when I mentioned that I had made a new signature you started attacking me about the six-line rule, even though it was only four lines. I changed its format now, but it's still four lines. And it was the nightmare thread that I had made, and then linked you to in chat to examine the signature. The reason I've been so jumpy with you is after I linked you to the thread, you immediately started jumping on me for me putting it in a whole topic, which I still think was the right decision, and after that issue was resolved you started attacking me about the signature rule, when my signature was fine anyway. Maybe if you hadn't attacked me so bad for two things at once, we'd be on better terms with each other.

So from now on, we are just two other members. To me, you are not that mean one who criticizes everyone, and to you I'm not that dumb, stubborn newbie that always makes mistakes. So let's start off fresh now.

Comment

Eric, part of the problem is that after a certain period of time, you just begin to get more and more irritated at ignorance of the rules. After you've told your 27th newbie that there's a limit on sig lengths, it's only natural to get a little snippy.

But you do bring up a good point that when oldbies are correcting the newbies, it should be done with humor and respect, and also with the understanding that we're unusual, and that we can blitz the hell out of someone with a bazillion different rules at once and it can be confusing. Take post counts into account.

Also, please keep in mind about the punctuation/spelling/texting nitpicking, that there may be another factor at work, such as dyslexia, visual impairement, or Tourette's Syndrome. You just don't know. So play it safe. The spirit of the law is more important than the letter of the law. When you can drive, you'll discover that speed limits are ... flexible. It's not always about breaking a rule or keeping it, so much as it's about not killing people or causing huge expensive messes.

There's also the fact that correcting someone in front of other people can be more humiliating than one-on-one. Remember you can take things to a quiet corner with private messages, too.

But also, oldbies, thankyou thankyou so much for making the effort, because it's also very true what wildflower says: the mods can't do everything or be everywhere. And, ultimately, every board's character is determined soley by its members and what and how they write. The best mod in the world can't make a good board without extraordinary members. You guys make my "job" easy.

Taking responsibility for yourself is good. Taking responsibility for others is better.
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Eric:
                  when I mentioned that I had made a new signature you started attacking me about the six-line rule
                  Actually, just for one last clarification (argh, sorry), it's much easier to correct someone before they make a mistake- I didn't assume your signature would be long, but it's a mistake a lot of people make, so I asked if you'd read the sig guidelines. That's all. It probably came off badly because of the thread issue immediately before it, but it wasn't my intention.

And for the record, you never were "that dumb, stubborn newbie that always makes mistakes". A fresh start sounds good to me, and hopefully you won't end up seeing me as some evil old member. :P

Now that everything should be resolved, we can stop scaring people away and go back to the thread's original purpose. I almost forgot what it was... *grin*

Comment

Originally posted by kli6:
                    Also, please keep in mind about the punctuation/spelling/texting nitpicking, that there may be another factor at work, such as dyslexia, visual impairement, or Tourette's Syndrome. You just don't know. So play it safe.
                    I'm not that sensitive to how people type here; I've seen far worse on other forums. If there's a typo here, a typo there, a mix-up between its and it's, stuff like that, I can tell when it's accidental. It's fairly easy to tell when someone's just being lazy.

I guess I'm really lucky to have the skill to spell so well.... And when there's something I'm not sure of, there's always FireFox's spell checker! But if anyone thinks I use FireFox's spell checker for everything that I spell wrong, observe how I type in chat! Spell checker's don't work there.

Hey, I just thought of something... maybe if the chat room had a built-in spell checker. That would help a lot of people, and it would enable people to understand what other people are trying to say. Not that it's a problem now, but once in a while I get really stumped on something.... Although I don't know if a spell checker would increase bandwidth. I don't see how it would, though. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Please. I want someone to correct me this time!

By the way, the space between "somebody correct me" and "if I'm wrong" is unintentional; I can't get it to go away. Sorry for any confusion!
                    <hr class="ev_code_hr" />
                    Hey, I have a thread that I request to be unlocked!

It's titled "Got a favorite YW quote?"

Here's the link: http://youngwizards.net/eve/forums/a...3/m/9101025231

Done, and edited to combine double post -- GF

Comment

Please unlock the thread under the playroom archives titled "What are the first few sentences on page 51 of the book nearest you?" at http://youngwizards.net/eve/forums/a...2856004963/p/3

Comment

I just looked at the link to Eric's request and I second the motion; that looks like a fun thread! *is already looking for the nearest book*
                        "...For my own part, I known my job; my commission comes from Those Who Are. My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always..." - The (Kitty) Catechism
                        Define the universe and give 3 examples.

Comment

Unlocked and moved to Chatter II.
                          Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

Please unlock the thread under the crossings archives titled "Why did you choose the username you did?" at http://youngwizards.net/eve/forums/a...4/m/7616076934

Comment

Unlocked and moved to Chatter II.
                              "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Can you please unlock the thread in the books titled "Mrs. Callahan's choice".
                                http://youngwizards.net/eve/forums/a.../862109943/p/1
                                Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
                                Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

Working...
                                X