X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a favorite YW quote?

Folks,

As we get YW.com's new incarnation up and running, DD wondered if we should put a quotefile up there somewhere...fans' favorite lines from the books.

Any thoughts? Feel free to nominate favorite quotes (remember to say which book they're from).
    Lee / Forum Administrator

Peach: "Listen to what the Knight tells you, and always read the fine print!" (I don't think that's the exact quote but I'm close...)
    Spot: "Uh-oh"
    Dairiene: "No, I will not move your planet! What do you want me to move your planet for?!"
    Ponch: "SQUIRRELS!!!!!" (I just thought that was kinda funny, you don't have to use that one.)
    :P I can't remember anymore right now, but I
    will! I'm a quote maniac!
    *Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Comment

Nita considered the image of Dairine facing down Darth Vader, lightsaber in hand, and felt sorry for Vader. --from High Wizardry
      Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
      "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
      "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

These mostly aren't quotes from characters but I like them anyway. I put one from each book.

SYWTBAW:
        Halfway out the bedroom door, realization dawned in her sister's eyes. "Maaaaa!" she yelled out the door, strangling in her own laughter. "Nita's got a boyfriend!"

DW:
        "Not old enough to love as yet,
        but old enough to die, indeed.
        the death-fear bites my throat and heart,"
        fanged cousin to the Pale One's breed."

HW:
        And then there was light.

AWAb:
        She leaped off the table and tore into the living room. There was a brief sound of scrabbling, and then from the living room, Kit said, "Uh, Annie, your cat just went up the chimney..."

TWD:
        In another he stood on a long narrow spit of land pushing out into a turbulent sea, while the waves crashed all around him, and waited what seemed like nearly an hour for what he new was coming: a fleet of huge-sailed ships that came riding up out of a terrible storm and with difficulty made landfall by that strange new shore.
        (I like LotR, what's wrong with that?)

AWAl:
        Kit looked at what he was holding. It looked very much like an eggbeater, except eggbeaters don't usually have pulse lasers built into them.
        Neets? he said silently
        A moment later the answer came back. What?
        Can I please move in with you?
        There was a pause...and then laughter.
        I'll be right over...

WH:
        "Uh-oh."

W@W:
        "Oops!"
        "If Time has a heart, it is because other hearts stop"-The Book of Night with Moon 9.v.IX

Comment

Ooh, M did a "guess the quote" quiz... let's see, Peach is from Deep Wizardry, Spot is from Wizard's Holiday, Dairine is from A Wizard Abroad (but it's "galaxy"), Ponch is from The Wizard's Dilemma. Right?

"This is not a nice place." - Nita in SYWTBAW.
          "That's going to be a tourist attraction in a few years, when they build the Hilton there..." - Kit in Deep Wizardry - and if only they had.
          "Besides," Kit said quietly from out of her range of vision, "how would you stop us?" - Deep Wizardry.
          "But I'm not going to let her monopolize this toy, let me tell you." - Nita about Dairine and the earliest version of Spot in High Wizardry.
          "She went to Mars and left the door open," said Tom. - High Wizardry.
          "OK," she said to the Lone One. "Last warning. Cut it out." - Dairine in High Wizardry.
          "Better apologize to her before she turns you into a soggy beermat." - Johnny in A Wizard Abroad.
          "What I really need right now in terms of energy is a chocolate bar," she said, "but the only thing I've got left in my pack is a cat. And I can't eat that." She made an amused face. "Too many bones." - Nita in A Wizard Abroad.
          Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

HW: Kit: "I changed my mind. Can I just throw up some more?"
            (I'll look it up later to see if that's accurate.)
            And of course:
            "So the Goddess is walking down the road and she meets this duck..."
            edit:
            quote 1, HW, Kit:
            "'I changed my mind,' he muttered. 'Instead of being dead, can I just throw up some more?'"
            quote 2:
            Perhaps it's from Door Into Fire? Someone else has my copies of the Door books right now.

Comment

"It's a little late for birth control."-Kit, High Wizardry

"No, I will not move your planet! What do you want to move it for? It's fine right where it is!" --Dari, in Abroad, I think. I know it's been said but I love it so much I just had to.

"Oh, I don't know. You might be good for something. Scrubbing the floors...washing the dishes..."--Kit, Abroad (again)

More later!
              *Ella*
              "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
              There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
              And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
              What could mean more than this?"
              --Bright Eyes

Comment

"So the Goddess is walking down the road and she meets this duck..." Don't remember that one, where's that from?
                *ding ding ding* And PM wins!
                hahahah!! I've remembered more quotes!
                Nita: What's the meaning of life?
                Transcendant Pig: forty two (Dillemma, I think...)
                Nita: Mom, did I ever tell you about the dinosaurs in Central Park? (Dillemma)
                Nita: "The problem is, I just can't keep my mouth shut..."(SYWTBAW)
                And how could we all forget: "In Life's name, and for Life's sake..."
                Nita's parents in shock: "Honey, are you seeing what I'm seeing?" "If you're seeing Kit levitating above the chair then yes." (I know I didn't get that exactly right but I couldn't find my copy of DW to make sure it was right, I think it's at my dad's house... *nervous*)
                And there are others but I can't remember the exact quotes, I think there was one from Holiday, Ponch and Kit eat the "blue stuff" I think there was a funny quote in there....
                *Agent~M*
                "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                "I could live

Comment

Originally posted by Agent M:
                  Nita: What's the meaning of life?
                  Transcendant Pig: forty two (Dillemma, I think...)
                  Isn't that one a forum joke? I can't find it in Dilemma.

More quotes:
                  "It counts for more when someone brings roses home if he's not also the florist!" - Mrs Callahan in the Wizard's Dilemma.
                  "Mom, I promise you, none of the 'wolves' are going to touch me. I just want to look normal. If I can't be normal, let me at least simulate the effect!" - Nita from WD.
                  She opened her eyes again to find Dairine staring at her as if she were something from Mars. Actually, Dairine had stared at things from Mars with a lot less astonishment. - Nita again, WD again.
                  But then Kit dismissed the idea; Neets didn't wear skirts that short. And it's a shame, said some unrepentant part of his mind. - WD
                  Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Too many good ones... lotsa people covered some already. Can't think of many right now, but I'll get to work. One that instantly pops into mind...

"'What's your name?' Kit asked. 'I mean, we can't just call you 'hey you' all the time.'

(True,) the white hole said. (My name is Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichephreidosd'enagouni-) and at the same time he went flickering through a pattern of colors that was evidently the visual translation.

'Ky-elik-' Nita began.

'Fred,' Kit said quickly."

Fairly long, but could be edited down of course. ah, the days with good ol' Fred...
                    ------------------------------
                    Have a cookie. it makes life better. If you don't like cookies, I suggest you seek professional help.

"So why should I take your hand when you can't promise happy endings?"
                    -Amber Pacific "Thoughts Before Me"

Comment

The entire TwelveSong! I love that one. I won't type it all out, because I'm sure that most people here would have read it.

DW: "If I were, saying so would be stupid; I'd be inviting you to eat me. And saying I wasn't afraid would be stupid too - and a lie."

Comment

You guyz all have great Quotes!!!! I can't think of anything off the top of my head but all the ones you said rocked!!

*Sometimes the mind is your most powerful weapon, but knowing karate sure helps!*
                        -Elita

PettyPembo

Comment

My favorite quote is the one where the Pig laughs at Kit and calls him some really long names that are too long for me to remember.
                          Hearts will never be practical, until they are made unbreakable.
                          "They smelled nice,"said Ponch"but smell isn't everything"
                          Check out the Encounters topic in Chatter II<<<If it's still there. Jeez. Long time guys.

Comment

"I want a raise," Picchuc sounding sullen.
                            "You just had one. Talk!"
                            "'Bush your teeth twice a day, and see your dentist regularly,'" The macaw begain in a commercial annoucer's voice. Tom made a fist and stared at her. "All right, all right"....-So You Want to Be a Wizard Tom and Picchuc
                            =^.^= ~ your relatey bites mines better! ~ =^.^=

Comment

The Pig smiled. "The moment any scientist says anything's impossible, you should start wondering. Science, like life, finds ways. But, anyway, you own a brain, and you still think continuous creation's been discredited? So where did your last bright idea come from?"-The Wizard's Dilemma.

The Pig gave him a shocked look, and then laughed out loud. "You simian-descended, equivocating, pronoun-starved little mortal twerp," it said. "Maybe the universe does favor young wizards because they haven't properly mastered the Speech's plurals yet. We really have to look into that."-The Wizard's Dilemma.

Comment

Working...
                              X