DD back home: signing reschedule & other volcano fallout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD back home: signing reschedule & other volcano fallout

Just a quick progress report for those of you who were concerned.

After getting home at the weekend, DD has spent the last day or two (mostly) in bed recovering from the cold she caught in Milan. While we haven't talked on the phone (she still doesn't have her voice back and has been advised to keep resting it so it will come back quicker) I have a few messages from her that reflect a whole lot of frustration over her inability to get back in time for the signing. (And the large amount of money trying to do so cost her, which she may not be able to reclaim via travel insurance or other means.) She is already looking at opportunities for a reschedule.

On the strictly East Coast side (and by the way, she is contemplating adding on a West Coast signing as well -- think of the new commitment as a "mini tour"), she has to touch base with Harcourt and Books of Wonder about this first, and it will take a while to sort out everybody else's ideas on the subject. Additionally, she has work commitments over the next couple of months that mean she's not going to be at liberty to just jump up and run off whenever she wants to. But initial indications are that she's trying to decide whether a date in the summer or in the early fall would be better, and she asked me to throw this subject open to comment on the Forums.

Thoughts, anybody? What's easier to get to -- a signing over the summer holidays or one during the school year? Sound off.
    Lee / Forum Administrator

On a purely selfish level, the further out it is, the more likely it is I'll be able to get money together to make it down there. On the other hand "more likely" still isn't terribly likely, so....
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

BTW, it looks as if she's been using some of the in-bed-with-the-laptop time to catch up on her Tripadvisor reviews.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/members-reviews/WicklowChick
      Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

well, it would be nicer for me if it was over the summer, because then I don't have to miss school...on the other hand, missing school might be nice...
        I think summer would be better, and also. then she doesn't necessarily have to do it over the weekend!

Tell DD that I hope she gets well soon!
        Last edited by 96bookworms; April 27, 2010, 06:10:14 PM. Reason: spelling!
        All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Oh dear... Summer is actually a really bad thing for me. I probably wouldn't be able to go at all if it was anywhere in the summer, so many things already planned. Either quite soon, or in the autumn, would be easiest for me. Wolf and I had said that we aren't going to buy or read AWoM until the signing, and I'd be willing to wait until autumn if I would actually be able to go to said signing.

All I could say is, "Oh please please please don't put it in June, July, or August, or I'll die or be miserable," but that sounds selfish.

So...yeah...
          Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Enfield-Burke View Post
            Thoughts, anybody? What's easier to get to -- a signing over the summer holidays or one during the school year?
            To me, any time is good as long as there's a good enough time in advance so I can get the specified days requested off from work. If it's sometime that works well for me, I may make a small vacation out of it since I haven't had one in the past few years, and have accumulated more then I can spend PTO hours. But like I said, any time is fine here; Summer / School Year / Winter / 3 AM at a Pub in Ireland (ok, maybe not the last one, but I'd love to do that sometime).

On another topic, here's hoping you are starting to feel better Duane. Good luck with the cold and all that.

Gibby Gibson
            "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed." ~G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Working...
            X