X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Maybe people just see it in English?

Comment

another interesting note on the subject is that there must be some kind of english to speech dictionary, since i believe nita made a habit of studying it at some point, and learning new words. it was also said then that it's not exactly a dead language...new words are always being added. therefore you CAN"T know all the words all the time, unless you happen to know everything...which very few people can mangage, i'm sure, other then those previously mentioned.
        I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

dorotheia: it is possible to have english. but also, notice all the new wizards are young!. so again lets think of this, as (previously said) the young have a tast for the speech. so maby it has english but maby not. if it is all in speech and they dont realize it. maby they think its in english at first but as they keep reading it gets harder because its higher level speech. now this is all a guess and i have know clue if its right but its a a=interesting thought
          its a long long walk to the end of the earth... but let me tell you if im walking to you then i'll walk farther than you would have dreamed possible.

Comment

Moon14:
            Maybe people just see it in English?

Well, no. I distinctly remember it saying something about how the Speech looked sort of Arabic, a little. I think there is definately some english. The Manual expands to what you know already and what you need to know, right? So maybe, as Nita gets older and learns more speech, the manual will implement more of it in itself to help explain the complicated subjects that cannot be explained clearly in the English language, if at all.

So... I think there's a little, but as Wizy123 said, maybe it sort of blends together a little. It is, after all, the universal language of the universe!

Hmm...A thought just struck me. If..since the pullulus....is that the reason that people can't hear the speech? But no, that wouldn't make sense, would it, after the whole Ponch thing....Hmmm...ach, weel, that's for another topic, eh?
            just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

you know what i wonder... the parents of kit and nina how are they able to hear the speach? is it because that they are around it and can now 'hear' it. is it a side effect?
              its a long long walk to the end of the earth... but let me tell you if im walking to you then i'll walk farther than you would have dreamed possible.

Comment

it's already been said: everyone understands the speech when they hear it. or at least, i think that was said...it's a universal thing....please correct me if i'm messing something up there, but i think i kind of remember that. of course, just because you'll know it if you here it, doesn't mean you'll translate it if you read it, or be able to speak it...which is why wizards have to work so hard. *will stop talking now, rather then extending my post, because i may be working upon a false memory over here*
                For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Originally posted by young reader:
                  it's already been said: everyone understands the speech when they hear it. or at least, i think that was said...it's a universal thing....
                  I believe nita and kit's parents said they understood it, but it was kind of fuzzy, like background noise.

Comment

ya they said they did i mean thee were parts where the electronics were having a war with each other. (at kits) but still its amazing that they didnt belive but now not only can they (or have to) they can hear the speech (probobly dont understand it though)

Comment

So, it CAN be heard, but there seems to be no relationship with who can understand it and who can't, and even if you understand it when you hear it, you can't necessarily speak it...that seems to be all we've concluded so far, unless i'm missing something...*Thinks i MUST be missing something, since that doesn't quite seem to work out at parts*

Comment

i think its more like anyoone can hear it but understanding it is another story al together. you can do somthing and not understand it right? and when you get older its hareder for you tho under stand and hear it because you stoped beliving in magic in life. wasnt their a part in the story where the willow tree said she talked to Nita when she was younger and Nita thought it was just her imagination.i mean if you really think about it its like we lose are scence of magic as we or rather they get older

Comment

maybe it has something to do with willingness to believe, too...i mean, kids can speak to trees, and such...i think i remember that. it's always been my oppinion, though, that it's the kids that truly believe in magic, and the adults that wish they did and forget...and with it, they loose the ability to understand the speech i suppose. (of course, there ARE some exceptions...for example, me, i hope, being a fantasy writer, will keep the belief, since it's part of my writing...) but for the most part, that's probably the way it works.

Comment

ya that might be it... i dunno maby we are looking to into it and its not as hard as we are making it out to be??? just a thought/. what if it really isnt all that difficult and we are just looing to into it.

Comment

I think, in the case of the Speech, most species can hear at the very least, the basics. I remember in W@W or WH or somethin, WH, I think, it has Mr. Callahan listening to Sker'Ret or one of those talk for the first time, and Dairine asks if he can hear ok, and he says, "Yeah. I'll tell you if you need to translate." Or something of that matter. And then there's Carmela, but she's a bit of a special case. I think Nita said something along the lines of "Already?" when she said the Mr. Alien comment in the begining, but I could be wrong about that. I would look it up but it's on loan.....
                              just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

Working...
                              X