No announcement yet.

Glasses and Bunk Bed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Holiday Dairiene says to herself: "Maybe I'm gettin astigmitism(sp?) like Nita did a while back, but she grew out of it.... If we survive tonight I wouldn't mind wearing glasses."
    Or something like that. I didn't know what astigmitism was but I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with temporary eye damage or something like that if Dari mentions glasses. And if Nita grew out of it, wouldn't she not need glasses anymore?
    And the bunk beds... well in Holiday Nita does mention she doesn't have the bunk beds anymore...

*Agent~M*
    "Do what the night tells you, and read the fine print before you sign!" -Peach.
    "In the Cookies of life, your friends are the chocolate chips" -Sam
    *Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Comment

Astigmatism is when the cornea (the part of the surface of the eye covering the iris and pupil) is distorted. It's supposed to be circular and smoothly rounded; I believe astigmatism means it's oval and unevenly curved.

Comment

Originally posted by Rissa:
        Slight tangent:
        Another good story (for next time we're waiting in-between YW books) about a character who wears glasses is http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...51200-9582361, by Willo Davis Roberts. I haven't read the reissued edition; the original was published around 1980, if I recall correctly. This book gave me my introduction to really good science fiction, back in the days before I came across anything by Diane Duane or Robert Heinlein or Victor Appleton at my cozy local library. It was also the first book I ever read with a main character who not only wore glasses (like me), but in fact had to wear thick, ugly glasses (like me!) at all times.

End of tangent.
        I LOVE the Girl with the Silver Eyes! Anyways, I was just thinking about this thread the other day, when I was reading Holiday at the bookstore. Too bad it's too expensive to buy right now...and I love the little kitty thingie, Maddi!

~Rad
        I love Superchic[k]!
        The Moosetrix Alaska
        *Dai'Stiho*
        ~Rachel

Comment

i dont know about the glasses, but if she DID share a room w/ dairine then i THINK i know what happened to the bunk bed. in Holiday diarine (or her dad) says something about the visiting wizards sleeping in their pup tents because they dont "have the bunk bed in dairines room anymore"
          ***ally***
          Never try to eat a quesadilla while on the computer. Never. It is too gooey. I know this from experience.
          and yes...I am slightly (hehe) crazy

Comment

o i just thought of where the glasses went...in Holiday, when dairine, filif, rashaun, and ske'ret (i bet i spelled those wrong) were working on the Sun, dairine talks about how she was probably going to get glasses from doing all of it, but maybe after a whild she wouldn't need them just like nita didn't need her glasses after a while.
            ***ally***
            Never try to eat a quesadilla while on the computer. Never. It is too gooey. I know this from experience.
            and yes...I am slightly (hehe) crazy

Comment

M: I've had astigmatism for 5 years, but I haven't grown out of it. Yeah, PK, you're right about the shape of the cornea. My doctor went into this hugely long discussion about it and warned me about watching too much TV because it hurts the eyes. Give me a break! I never watch TV! If anything, I read small-print books in the dark, but that can't be helped. Besides, I think it's genetic in my family. Everyone on my dad's side of the family has screwy eyes. It skipped my sister, though. *is jealous*

I will rejoice in the moonlight;
              I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
              For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.

Comment

There's another cover, I think it's from SYLW that has Nita on the front, lying down, reading a book, with glasses and red hair. Kit's standing behind her, waving a wand and creating a blue light pattern in the air.

Comment

Dairine had glasses in Deep Wizardry. Remember- one of the whales had "an owlish, shortsighted look about him that reminded Nita of Dairine in her glasses." (sorry, my copy's not with me...)

Comment

Actually, I don't think she did. Usually, the desciription "owlish, shortsighted look" means that they aren't really supposed to be wearing glasses. Okay, let me explain that better. If you don't need glasses, but you put on a pair with a prescription, you can't see anything with them on, so you end up squinting at everything even though it doesn't help you see any better. That's what happens to me when I wear my dad's glasses. He's like, half blind. But, anyway, about Dairine, I think that suggest that she doesn't need glasses, but tries on Nita's just to joke around.

Comment

READ WIZARD'S HOLIDAY!! At one point Dairine is thinking about how Nita used to have astigmatism, and had to wear glasses. However, the astigmatism cleared up, and Nita stopped wearing the glasses.

Dai

Dai stiho. Go well.
                      Dai stiho. Go well.

Comment

Sorry, just scanned if this is already in here, but, in AWH i'm pretty sure about them mentioning "since you don't have a bunk bed anymore".

And don't forget that that could've happened during the gap between books...

Comment

Working...
                        X