Glasses and Bunk Bed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasses and Bunk Bed??

I know this is pretty Tiny, but I'm a-wonderin, what happen to Nita's bunk bed and galsses? From ~So you Want to Be a Wizard~ I quote-"Nita eased herself onto the bottom bunk bed, groaning softly..." and " Nita Sat up and pulled the book out,felt around for her glasses." Im not to terribly sure, but I don't recall either of those mentioned or spoken off again. How off am I?

Nita has (had) glasses!?!?! Wow, I haven't read SYWTBAW for awhile. I never remembered that... Does she still have them now, in the more recent books. *flips through pages* I never really remember anything mentioned about that, but maybe I'm wrong.

Nita has glasses!!?!! (sorry, I'm kind of slow sometimes [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] )

Dai,
    ~Em~

"Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." Frieda Norris
    "But victory's certain. Never think otherwise. There is loss, and there is pain, and in your home frame of reference, they're real enough, not to be devalued. But today the energy's running out of things just a little more slowly...for those who tru

Comment

Or maybe she wears contacts.

Still, it's a bit odd that they were never mentioned again. I suppose there weren't many opportunities in _Deep_Wizardry_, since she spent most of her time as a whale, and she wasn't the focus of _High_Wizardry_...

It would be nice if the upcoming books mentioned something about them, though. [hint hint]

Logic is a poor servant, but an excellent master.
      -- The Book of Forgotten Things
      Logic is a poor servant, but an excellent master.
      Forget science fiction: other people are the ultimate aliens.

Comment

No...with the glasses, I would see it if it was mentioned again, because I wear glasses [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] (they stink) and I would know. It's sorta like...if you're a freak reader (like I am) and you find a character who wears glasses (like I do) you remember, and notice.

*Ella*
        *Ella*
        "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
        There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
        And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
        What could mean more than this?"
        --Bright Eyes

Comment

SYWTBAW says that she wears glasses, but as far as I can tell, NONE of the cover art (for any of the editions I have seen) have had her wearing them! Even the first edition of SYWTBAW!
          I'm guessing that it's just a little detail that got forgotten along the way. But, a simple explanation might be that she only really needs them for reading, as Caledonian suggested.

Worlebird
          ------------------------------------
          !/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj
          $/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1
          lK[d2%Sa2/d0$^Ixp"|dc`;s/\W//g;$_=pack('H*',/((..)*)$/)
          Worlebird
          "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us the nicest of the damned." - They Might be Giants

Comment

Perhaps the glasses have not been mentoned again for teh mere fact that they aren't important. I've worn glasses for nearly eight years and honestly, I don't even notice them any longer. Despite what my mother wants me to beleive (she wants be to get contacts, I'm fine with my glasses), they aren't that big of a hindrace, and once you get used to them, t's like the aren't even their until something goes wrong with them.

(My most interesting "going wrong" glasses story: I was square-dancing for a skit. We were rehearsing, and one pair of dancers made a wrong turn and ended up in teh wrong spot. So when my partner and I turned, we smacked right into the other pair. The girl's head hit my glasses and broke the wire at the bottem [I have half-frames that have a wire, rather than a metal rim, at the bottom of the lens] and it snapped. The glass hit my face and made a gash under my eye. When people asked how I hurt my self, imagine how tough I sounded when I said it was a square-dancing accident! )

~*~
            "It is easier to carry a cross around your neck than across your back."
            ~*~
            A picture is not always worth a thousand words. I would rather have the words and paint the pitcure with my mind.

Comment

Maybe she could have used her wizardry to cure her eyesight, in another book, and it just wasn't mentioned? That could be pretty likely. I mean, glasses are realy annoying sometimes (I have them for blackboards) and it would be great to suddenly never have to wear them again. I would probably do that if I had wizardry [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] (I wish). It's an interesting thought, anyway.

~Em~

"Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." Frieda Norris
              "But victory's certain. Never think otherwise. There is loss, and there is pain, and in your home frame of reference, they're real enough, not to be devalued. But today the energy's running out of things just a little more slowly...for those who tru

Comment

Slight tangent:
                Another good story (for next time we're waiting in-between YW books) about a character who wears glasses is The Girl With the Silver Eyes, by Willo Davis Roberts. I haven't read the reissued edition; the original was published around 1980, if I recall correctly. This book gave me my introduction to really good science fiction, back in the days before I came across anything by Diane Duane or Robert Heinlein or Victor Appleton at my cozy local library. It was also the first book I ever read with a main character who not only wore glasses (like me), but in fact had to wear thick, ugly glasses (like me!) at all times.

End of tangent.
                I lurk. A lot. Don't mind me: I simply do not have much of interest to say. I've been here since two computers ago - oh, somewhere before 2001, for certain. But I'm so quiet, I'm generally unmemorable!

Comment

As far as the cover art goes, I have a rather early paperback edition of _Deep Wizardy_ which depicts Nita and Kita standing on the surface of the ocean, wearing swimsuits and jackets, surrounded by shark fins; and she definitely _is_ wearing her glasses in the scene. Interestingly this is one of the cover pics where she has just above-the-shoulders dirty blonde hair...

I would scan the cover for you to see, except that the book's on the shelves in my classroom (and I'm at home), and I don't have a place to post it.

Squash

Comment

As far as the cover art goes, I have a rather early paperback edition of _Deep Wizardy_ which depicts Nita and Kita standing on the surface of the ocean, wearing swimsuits and jackets, surrounded by shark fins; and she definitely _is_ wearing her glasses in the scene. Interestingly this is one of the cover pics where she has just above-the-shoulders dirty blonde hair...
                    That's the cover art for the version I have read (it was the cover art for the original hardback edition as well, I believe). I didn't remember her wearing glasses, though I do remember the hair... Hmmm.... guess I just didn't pay enough attention.

Worlebird
                    !/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj
                    $/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1
                    lK[d2%Sa2/d0$^Ixp"|dc`;s/\W//g;$_=pack('H*',/((..)*)$/)
                    Worlebird
                    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us the nicest of the damned." - They Might be Giants

Comment

Comment

I've seen that glasses-cover-art edition of SYWTBAW. It didn't look much like anything the way I imagined it, though. Actually, I've never seen a cover that looked right. Either a character was wrong . . . or the depicted scene just didn't match the real one (example: Magic Carpet DW has them in bathing suits swimming with the shark. What?!). So, yeah, Kerry gives up on drawings. That's why I like the new covers best: they're so stylized that not much comes through, you just get this kind of impression of what's going on.

Oh, yeah, I was talking about glasses. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] There's only one place where Nita would care about having glasses: in DW. She's going around on the beach, going swimming, shapechanging, changing back, all apparently without specs. I don't understand [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] If she only has glasses for reading or something, wouldn't she need them to read spells, like when she heals S'reee?

Comment

http://www.geocities.com/booknightmoon

Comment

The awful cover art for the Science Fiction Book Club edition of the first three books has Nita wearing glasses. It also has her with red hair and Kit looking like his parents came from India rather than Latin America. Yes, I know, cover art is so rarely accurate (see hardcover version of The Door Into Sunset, good heavens!) but it still annoys me.

Inside every cynic there's an idealist desperately yearning to be let out, and when they are let out they're usually a real pain and cause all sorts of trouble. --Chris Boucher

Comment

Yes, Rhiow-chan, yes, I do! But it never mentions beds, really, except the bunk bed and in Alone *snicker* ("where's my bed?!)
                              I have a picture in my head for each and every book I read.

*Ella*
                              *Ella*
                              "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                              There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                              And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                              What could mean more than this?"
                              --Bright Eyes

Comment

Working...
                              X