No announcement yet.

Power-Spotting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC, the Old Testament does mention something of an afterlife, which my Bible (Good News version, easier on the eyes) gives the name of Hades--the implication being that it is sort of a gray existence not unlike the Greek envisioning thereof. Jesus' parable of Lazarus mentions that Lazarus was "in Abraham's bosom" after death, while the rich man was in torment, yet they could see each other, which meant they were in the same general area.

"Hell", or the traditional lake of fire, is described as being prepared for the Devil and his angels, and would appear to be a separate thing entirely.

Comment

Ys. There is mention made sometimes of the "sleeping saints." I think the Jewish afterlife (and if anyone is Jewish/better informed, correct me if I'm wrong) is just a lot of people locked in eternal sleep; there is mention made in a Christian apocryphal (I think, but it may have been canon) of Christ going down to "awaken the sleeping saints," which was given as proof of power.

I am Lionfish. HEAR ME ROA-- ....um, bubble. Blub, blub. *sweatdrop*

Comment

Iris. The Whisperer's Greek form could be Iris! *happy*

*checks back again* oh, she was already sorted out.... oh well.

I am Lionfish. HEAR ME ROA-- ....um, bubble. Blub, blub. *sweatdrop*

If you can't spell my name, go ahead and call me semi or S-chan. I don't mind, really.

Visit my deviantart site at semiramis.deviantart.com ^.^v!

Comment

I figure I could give some insight, I am an egyptian mythology addict. I believe that in Egyptian mythology the lone power could be asscoiated with a cross between Seth and Anubis.
          Seth was considered the god of desert storms and all non-egyptian lands(which the egyptians at one time thought were inferior). He was feared, yet often pitied by the egyptians. Anubis was the god of death and though he was considered evil almost none thought to challenge him except for a certain group of priests(reminds you of wizards doesn't it?)

Comment

Adding on to that.... The LP's redeemed form in the feline wizards novels is "Sa'raah", and the WP is "Aaurh"... both of them are feline in form, and I think Rhiow mentions at some point that the Egyptians adopted their gods from the feline vers. of the powers...might they, possibly, be Sekhmet and Bast(et)?

Comment

Wow, this is all very interesting. It happens to be on a subject that interests me a lot. As Greek mythology is the only subject I can really keep up with, does anyone else seem a parallel between Hades and the Morrigan. They're both pretty ambivalent, and they both represent death itself, but not the cause of death. Also, it seems they're both rather resentful of their roles, and didn't choose them.[I'm not sure if thats mentioned for the Morrigan in YW, but it is in other myths. Either way, it's really more regretful than resentful in her case.]
              -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.
              -It's only impossibe if you believe it is.
              -Existence is belief. I believe in magic, so it's real to me.

Comment

I was very much reminded of this thread yesterday - I was at the British Museum in the Japan exhibit and saw a statue of Fud? My?-?, who is the Japanese incarnation of a particular Buddhist Wisdom King, and who I think is a great candidate for an aspect of the Winged Defender. here is the figure I saw: He has a fierce aspect representing his steadfast intolerance of wickedness and he carries a sword that cuts through illusion to show truth and knowledge. Sounds a lot like Peach to me!
                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

AFAIK, there is no real god of craftsmen in the Hawaiian pantheon; in the Kumulipo, or Hawaiian Creation Chant, there is reference to "Ye 40,000 gods, ye 400,000 gods." Gods were invoked on things according to what their intended use was. Kane and Kaneloa were probably the closest you could get to anyone who was an Advocate for humans.

From those 400,000 gods, the closest parallel for the LP might be "Ku of the maggot-dripping mouth (ew!)" He presided over dark sorcery, specifically curses and praying someone to death. His slightly more benign aspects covered magic in general.
                  "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                  "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Working...
                  X