No announcement yet.

A Galaxy Without Dark Matter: Wizards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Galaxy Without Dark Matter: Wizards?

http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn13280-galaxy-wi...les-astronomers.html

My first thought when I found this article and read it was 'Hey, are there any WIZARDS in that galaxy?' Which just goes to show exactly how much of a silly YW fan I am.

Though really, it COULD be possible! Highly improbable, but possible. Anyway, what are some thoughts on this weird ol' galaxy?
    "Accomplishing the impossible means only the boss will add it to your regular duties." - Anonymous
    Nita, Kit, pay attention to that one!

Huh that is a bit odd. I think that's exciting that we can finally see that type of stuff. It does make you wonder if there is any type of Wizards out there making the Dark matter go away..
    Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
    Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
    It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
    Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

Wow, that's a cool article!

I think it's more proof that there aren't wizards in that galaxy. Remember, wizards had a rough time removing dark matter, and I don't think they could do it. (Well, maybe a wizard on ordeal or something, maybe several of them.)

Mousey: Aren't we all silly YW fans?
      Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

You're talking about dark matter, but who's to say that it's bad? dark matter is just something that scientists don't know much about. It isn't called dark matter 'cause it's evil, you know. It's because it's the opposite of "regular matter", which we can see.

Anyways, I don't think it matters how much (if any) dark matter there is.
        "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
        -Terry Pratchett
        Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

As I understand, dark matter makes up most of the universe. From what I've read, the universe seems something like this:

4% -- Regular Matter
          23% -- Dark Matter
          73% -- Dark Energy

What I've learned from reading and watching documentaries, is that the dark matter seems to be harmless, while the dark energy is somehow "Defying Gravity" (haha, I just have to quote Wicked every time I talk about this) and pulling the universe apart at 70 kilometers per second per parsec (which could result in the universe exploding if it continues, as said in W@W).
          Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

I don't think there are wizards, and if there are, then they are highly developed scientists. But they'r enot magic. The article is cool. A galaxy with no dark matter.
            I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

Its amusing that whenever I read 'dark matter', for some reason I instantly jump to the conclusion that it is evil, or not good for the universe. I think I've been reading too many fantasy stories... It wasn't until a year ago that I had it explained to me that it was just matter that did not emit any light, and thus cannot be observed visually (from the great distances involved in space).

Thats an interesting article though. However, I'd be inclined to think that something might be wrong with the measurements. Still, it would be interesting if it doesn't contain any dark matter.

Comment

To be truthful, I found out that dark matter as a whole still has a few theories popping up here and there, meaning that Dark Matter isn't really defined as to why its here. I think it would be interesting to understand, but for now, I bet it does have something to do with the expansion of the universe. Overall, Dark Matter is something that should not exist, because I don't like the idea of planets being further from each other than they are now. Then again, it would be fun to figure out a better, and more faster way to travel. When we find a challenge, we simply chase the challenge down until its solved right?
                Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

hmm... I just had a revelation. I have long believed that dark matter could be the excess matter from parallel universes. Though perhaps the expansion of the universe can be explained by the creation of more parallel universes. Just think. Everything is moving equally away from each other and something could be filling the space equally and evenly in between the atoms. We can't notice it with something as close to us as the sun, but in the billions of light years of space, the growth is exponential.
                  2 Saxy 4 u 2 Handel...

Comment

That is odd, but very cool. Wasn't that--the slower orbiting outer rings--what scientists were expecting to find? And they actually found that the outer orbits went faster and faster. I just watched a video about stars and spectra (in chemistry, because it explained how elements are identified in spectra), called Doubt. It was made in the 80's or something, I think. It's ironic that scientists can't accept data that's been proven outside the norm, even if the abnormality was what was originally expected. There should be some anomalies out there somewhere.

I doubt whether the absence of dark matter argues the existence of wizards there either way. Wizards aren't tied
                    Originally posted by SaxySullivan View Post
                    I have long believed that dark matter could be the excess matter from parallel universes. Though perhaps the expansion of the universe can be explained by the creation of more parallel universes.
                    Oh yes, and another thing... Yes, I have noticed that dark matter has been dumped in the "evil" class. I think the trouble comes from the fact that black holes and dark matter usually discussed together, as if they were the same thing. It's like the square = rectangle but a rectangle ? square. But the human brain makes connections, and all of the sudden they're the same or completely different things. While dark matter is not quite as creepy as black holes, they still have evil-sounding names, and sound quite alike. The result is that they're bright red targets for human phobia, scientific principles or no.

Comment

Thats pretty freaky kind of an old post though so they probably found like 80 of them by now.
                      Footsteps in the snow suggest where you have been, point to where you were going: but where they suddenly vanish, never dismiss the possibility of flight....

Comment

Working...
                      X