No announcement yet.

A Writers Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I understand what you mean. My oldest characters were fanfic chars, whom I've recently begun adapting to an original universe. But they've become so well formed that they're real people in my mind, and it's become extremely difficult to write them so that the readers understand them as I do. I'll write something that seems really epic and captures them perfectly, to me. But then a friend will read it and it won't have the same effect. Give it to a friend, have them read it, and see what they think. Always works wonders for me.
    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it binds the Universe together.
    "Oh. So...what, you liked it 'cause it was shiny?" - Logan Cale
    "I'm sixteen. Of course I'm hungry." - Ben Skywalker

Comment

Originally posted by willowtree View Post
      May I suggest you read 'The Graveyard Book' by Niel Gaiman? (such a terrible last name. I feel sorry for the guy)....
      I wouldn't worry about it. Neil doesn't mind. He's a GLBT-friendly kinda guy.

He's probably more irritated at the folks who mispronounce it "Guy-Man". Hence the FAQ.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I would say read read read read read and read if you aren't doing so already. That's how I figured out what I like to write, by finding what I like to read and what makes me want to throw the book against the wall.

After that, just let the first draft happen - worry about characterization and plot and setting and all of that, but don't try to make it perfect. To paraphrase a quote my teacher had on her wall for a while, "First drafts always suck." Don't worry about quality yet and write the story. Then leave the draft alone for at least a few days and read it with fresh eyes. Editing is a big part of writing, and remember to go over your content first and get it the way you want it before you start editing for style or grammar.

And yeah that's about all I have. =P

Comment

**Blinks** it's been so long, i don't even remember having replied to this - it was weird reading my own posts. **doubleblinks** Once useful thing i've found - turn your muse into a character. That way, if you run out of ideas, you can start poking her. :P ((It's a common technique to talk to characters, when you're stuck - so why not your muse?))

Mind you, I'm always forgetting to try that with Ethalia... but it does give me someone to blame for the random things that pop into my head repeatedly and force their way into my stories.
          I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Working...
          X