No announcement yet.

Twilight's Vampires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The truth is that I like Meyer's vampires better than the conventional ones like Dracula & Co. The fable roots just don't make sense to me. There's no reason for them; they grew up by tradition and have little substance beyond that. Like faeries and iron, etc. Meyer's vampires have every rationality they need.

Except for "sparkly" skin, as you have all pointed out, but there are superficial reasons as well. Meyer's vampires are made for taking out their prey, humans. Humans probably would find their skin attractive/surprising. The skin is the source of the some of the myths that grew up around vampires in her universe, such as bursting into flames in the sun. I'd say that if I was too busy running away to look closely either!

For this reason I don't think about it much. It's just the weak point in some very good worldbuilding. "Sparkly" = "glamorous," and then on to...something worse (fake, maybe?). Depending on your POV that is exactly what Meyer's vamps are. But not in my opinion.

Comment

I personally don't like the Twilight vampires, although I have read all four books and the first 12 chapters of Midnight Sun (Breaking Dawn was just painful to read, and the others, in general, to reread). I think the whole reason I don't particularly like the Twilight vampires is because they seem too perfect. I haven't read any other vampire books, besides the Vampire Kisses series, but those vampires are more "traditional". The fact they're virtually indestructible is also annoying to me. Tearing them from limb to limb and setting them on fire? That's a pretty limited way to die. There should be at least a couple more ways they can die.
      I stand tall, proud, brave, straight, and strong.
      Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance.
      ~Book junkie~

Comment

I personally think that twilight has destroyed the term vampire for a whole generation. The Sookie Stackhouse series is a much better representation of the whole supernatural genre.
        Footsteps in the snow suggest where you have been, point to where you were going: but where they suddenly vanish, never dismiss the possibility of flight....

Comment

I thought that the vampires in Twilight were all the more creepy because the narrative took a turn into soulless fangirling of Edward whenever he appeared. Bella would go from being annoyed at Edward's obsessive stalking to being reasonably okay with the whole idea, and it seemed to depend on how close he was to her as to how she'd react.

When I read it, I thought it was the most chilling first person account of having one's personality slowly broken by a possessive, absurdly powerful boyfriend who not only will stalk you, but you'll want it and be broken when he leaves.

Comment

The TwiVamps...Or as I've heard them described 'Sparkle-fairies'. It's a charged subject to be sure. Sadly, Twilight's what started reading vamp stuff. I didn't like the first book all that much. In fact, if my friends hadn't told there were werewolves in the second one I would never have picked it up. Yes, I know they're shapeshifters and all but we didn't know that. Oddly enough though, when I read Amelia Atwater Rhodes' vamps, that's when I seriously started looking into vampire stuff. Those are the ones that fascinate and entrance me. And there is a precedence for a human-vamp romance. Just not that submissive...least I don't think. I've never read the 'classic' vampire literature. Just Twilight, Atwater-Rhodes, and yes I've read the House of Night books. Though I don't even see those guys as vampires, since blood isn't even really required. But yeah, that's my take on it.
            Duct tape is like the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it binds the Universe together.
            "Oh. So...what, you liked it 'cause it was shiny?" - Logan Cale
            "I'm sixteen. Of course I'm hungry." - Ben Skywalker

Comment

I appreciate all types of vampire fiction. I've read everything from Twilight to Dracula but frankly I'm more of a fairy/fey girl. However what I've always wanted to know was: who would want to go to highschool that many times!?!?!?!?! And what the heck is up with the sparkling?!
              Dai
              elz
              I think I'll go ennoble some waffles.
              -Nita

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm438 View Post
                I know there are so many people that liked twilight's vampires. Personally, I thought they rather killed the term vampire. They just can't compare to vampires like Lestat. I mean these vampires aren't even the sadistic mindedness that has come to the term vampires.

So do you agree, Twilight killed the term vampire or are the Twilight vampires the best vampires out there?
                I must admit I don't love them but they are pretty ok type of books. I guess logically Twilight isn't really about vampires. Twilight mostly focus on that romance between teenagers...... I think adding vampires in it just gives it a twist. I would rather watch something action packed but yet there is some comedy of romance and love in...
                A spell always works. -So You Want To Be A Wizard I wonder would it work on my sisters... hmm...

Comment

Working...
                X