Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best of the four
    "Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance!" I would rather be hated for who i am than be loved for who i pretend to be!
    "People...stop being mean to each other.
    Especially for the sake of laughs. IT SPEEDS UP ENTROPY." -Diane Duane in chat.
    "T

Comment

Diego... I think I love you for this post. XD It sounds so much like how I rant.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm hunting out spoilers to dull the pain, so that when I actually see the movie I'll be able to (hopefully) watch it with yelling at the screen and ruining it for my family. Diego's post is very good for this.

But I do actually want to see it. I have no earthly idea why, but I want to. Maybe because it actually doesn't look *that* bad, compared to some things, but... I don't know.
      I was hoping to see it in theaters, and my family was going to go with a couple other families, but that sorta didn't work out, not sure why.
      I think part of me wanting to see it is the whole "can't complain about it in a theater" thing, because I keep quiet in theaters and rant at home. I'll probably wind up watching the DVD, though, and chances are I'll sitting in the other room with headphones on while mom, dad, and my brother watch it, and then later I'll watch it on dad's laptop with headphones or something.

And then I'll come here and rant. Or not, because Diego probably already said everything I'll hate. XD

'cept for the way that in the movies, they will add things. Add things that weren't in the books and aren't in the least bit relevant, and they'll cut out important parts of the books that would have made the movie make more sense to stick in their new irrelevant parts...

But I don't think Bill's in it either. Gah. I like Bill! Only I keep picturing him with black hair, which sucks, so as long as the movie version of Bill had long hair, I would be perfectly happy to have my book image killed for once.

Okay, I'm done. XD And I haven't even seen it yet...

Oh. Done with ranting, anyway. Can I just take a line or two to point Goddess Cookie and ShadowWizard to the board FAQ, linked to in Kathy [kli6]'s signature? Avie guidelines, in particular- and the bit about short posts for Shadow, who's done a four-word post with no caps or punctuation. XD No worries, but no caps/no punctuation/posts only a line or two long/avies larger than 100x100 pixels are all things we try to avoid around here.

Right, *now* I'm done. </rambling>

Comment

oh no.. WF has started the foundations again... or have I spent too long away from posting here? ...

I would have to admit that this is most definitely my favourite of the movies so far, and its not just because David Tennant (Barty Crouch JR) = *squee* - for all of the four minutes about that you get to see him. I was MAJORLY disappointed with the third movie. To put it bluntly, I didn't find it worthy of buying the DVD at full price - I got it when it became cheaper, just to have the set. GoF, while leaving out so much detail, definitly satisfied me enough that I'll probably get the DVD the day it comes out.

That being said, there were a few things that I reckon could have been added in, such as a five minute or so quidditch match at the World Cup - so that the audience gets to see the Wronski Feint and so on - oh and actually get to see the teams' mascots.

I also think that they could have added in a vague mention of S.P.E.W. - just show someone wearing a badge or something.

Ralph Fiennes (sp?) was awesome as Voldemort (did anyone else notice his lefthandedness? is this something that I've glossed over while reading? I didn't think that I had, and is it going to mean something later on?..)

I don't think that they chose the right person for krum... He's described as eagle nosed or something like in the book - I think a better person for it would have been the actor playing Krum's friend - the one who asks Parvati to dance.

Oh more rant - WHY WERE THE PATIL TWINS BOTH IN GRYFFINDOR? I can understand one perhaps visiting the other in the common rooms or something, but they are both shown in gryffindor robes too.

Moody was awesome - and the ferret scene was too hilarious for words - although it does have me thinking - was Moody using the Imperius Curse when he was making Malfoy 'bounce'? Just a thought...

Alla

Comment

Hi everyone... It's been a while since I saw the movie and now I'm getting around to posting something.

All this hype about it being the 'scariest' yet. Give me a break, the second and third were scarier.

Now......... How creepy was Myrtle.....

Comment

Yeah I didn't like the one who played Krum. He looked -BLAM-ing ********.
            Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
            ------------------------------------------------------------
            "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

My favorite line? "You know I like it when they walk." Seriously funny.

Eh... they did mess up some parts, yes, and left out about 50% of the book, but the important part is it _works_ as a movie. Unlike the third one, where they hardly explain anything, at least this one made sense. I pity anyone who saw the third movie without reading the book (it WAS my favorite of the books, until they made the movie).

Crouch Jr. was awesome. The lip thing was strange, though. (And I agree with Diego's post, the one right after this one).

Here's the way my mom summed up the movie: The average reading public is smarter than the average moviegoing public, so they have to leave stuff out.
              Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
              "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
              "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

I think the lip thing, though strange, was appropiate considering the character.
                Comradely, Diego

"Be a real

Comment

THEY CUT LUDO BAGMAN!!!
                  All the Harry Potter movies are all about action. The next director needs to just have some slow talking scenes. The quiet but strong kind. The only one they had in this movie was when Harry and Ron were mad at each other. The top box to renew the emnity between the Malfoys and Weasleys/Harry. Hermione trying to convince Harry and Ron to join SPEW. Small scenes, not action packed, but they add a depth that changes a movie to an absorbing, entertaining, enthralling Masterpiece. Look at all the best movies. They all have those scenes that provide depth.
                  And they're gonna have a heck of a time explaining Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes in theupcoming movies. The Directors,Writers,Producers,Whoever, need to think ahead, look at the big picture, and include the scenes that, though they might not seem to important at the time, will make sense to the veiwer once they see the next movie(s).
                  After all, just like in books, a little mystery never hurts when you're trying to hook a viewer!
                  </ramble>

Comment

And they're gonna have a heck of a time explaining Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes
                    I reckon they'll be able to do it easily. They could make it out that Gred and Forge have been just plotting stuff to use against Umbridge - then they decide to open a shop after that. They only need to mention it for the first time at the swamp bit - or with Hermione getting angry at them for testing things on the first years - or not even then. I think that they were thinking ahead in GoF - they made sure that the twins had more of a role so that people (well those who don't read the books) know a bit more about their characters, so that they're ready for a more... troublesome pair of twins come movie 5. Well, thats just what I think anyway.

Comment

I can't believe they left out Winky! In since there was no Winky, the ending of the movie was kind of messed up. They didn't put in Ludo Bagman, or a lot of other parts that I think will be vital in the upcoming movies.
                      I absolutely LOVE the Harry Potter series, and I'm on my tenth time through the books. I've always wondered why they use quills and parchment, because it seems to take place in present day. Maybe it's just to add to the magical effect of the book. Quills and parchment sounds more fascinating then pens and paper. I asked for some quills and ink for Christmas and I saw them come in the mail! I can't wait for Christmas!

Comment

GOF was a complete disappointment, and i'm talking about the movie, they left out SO many things, it would talk at least an hour to list them, i was realt disappointed in it, the book, as always, was so much better.
                        Elad Levy

Comment

I've always wondered why they use quills and parchment, because it seems to take place in present day. Maybe it's just to add to the magical effect of the book. Quills and parchment sounds more fascinating then pens and paper.
                          One of the things is, I think, that technological items (including ballpoint and I'm guessing even fountain pens) don't work around magical places - for the same reason that computers and other 'modern' items don't. (I'm sure that Hermione (character, not member) has referred to this from Hogworts: A history somewhere... if not, I'm not sure where I've read it). Other than that, it probably is that it adds to the magical quality of the books - that and its cool . I can never be bothered with quills that you have to dip in ink (I've tried calligraphy with a nib and ink and didn't have the patience) - what I do, is take apart a ball point pen - get the ink bit out and then cut the bottom off a feather and then insert the ink in there... it works fine.

Comment

i think that they totally messed up the quidditch cup. the beginning totally sucked! i mean, what about the forest and stuff?? that was a major part and they messed it up!!

Comment

Yeah they really messed up the first part, as I said in my first post, but everything else was fine by me.
                              Comradely, Diego

"Be a real

Comment

Despite the problems I had with the movie I still enjoyed it. I personally didn't care at all that SPEW wasn't in there because I didn't care for it in the book either. I always thought Hermione was a little too obessed over the house-elf thing. And even though Ludo Bagman wasn't in there I don't mind it that much. He doesn't really play a mojor role in the series as a hole. In fact he isn't even talked about in books 5 and 6. The thing that really bothered me was the Qudditch World Cup. I know they couldn't put everything in but they could have at least added 3 minutes of it.

Overall I think they did good with what they had. It is a big book after all.
                                There is a thoery which states that if anyone ever discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by somehting even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another which states that this has

Comment

Working...
                                X