Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (SPOILERS INSIDE)

I saw it yesterday, and it really is the best one of all, yet they... still... messed it up in some parts. Now I'll put the CONS of HP4, so you know what the expect for and not puke so much.

1) The first part of the movie, the "Muggle Lynching" scene, you could say, sucks. It was edited way too much, and it went from a gang of Death Eaters torturing a muggle family to Barty Crouch JR burning the tents... not a good change.

2)Don't get your hopes up... they don't show the Quidditch tournament.

3) The actor who plays Barty Crouch really sucks, I couldn't understand a word he was saying and he wasn't really what I saw in Barty Crouch, who was way more different than what they did in the movie.

4)GARY OLDMAN ROCKED! (In his 45 seconds of acting)

5) The actor who played Krum... yeah you guessed it, ********.

6) Emma Watson changed, and it wasn't exactly a good change.

7) They took all the monsters out of the Last Task's Maze, the Sphinx, EVERYTHING. It was just an always-changing maze.

8) Since there weren't any monsters in the maze, Harry doesn't learn any of the spells the teaches the others in the 5th book, so I don't know what they're gonna do in the 5th movie.

9) You guys know the whole Elf-slavery thing, and the prejudice with Winky, and Dobby bringing gillyweed to Harry? Yep, edited. There are no house-elves during this movie.

10) In the Quidditch World Tournament (or whatever it was called), you know how Harry gets lost and suddenly hears somebody conjuring the Dark Mark and BAM! there's Winky? In the movie they degraded it to Harry (being so distrophic) falling and the people who are running kicking him in the face and knocking him out, so he could wake up 30 minutes later in the same place, magically unseen by the Death Eaters, and looking straight at Barty Crouch JR conjuring the Dark Mark.

11)The actress who played the "hot and sexy" Cho?... not really.

12)The Beauxbatons and Durmstrang intros at the Great Hall were just plain stupid.

13) Karkaroff's parts in the book were almost totally removed.

14) Though they DO show Karkaroff's trial (which was good), they take out Bellatrix's... I WANTED TO SEE BELLATRIX.

15) How about a flashback scene about what happened to the Longbottoms? ...Nope.

16) As always, Daniel Radcliffe looks as if he had Down Syndrome.

17) They also don't put where he gives the winnings to Fred and George, so they can start the shop.

18) NO DURSLEYS. AT ALL.

19) MOLLY'S NOT THERE! Neither is Charlie, and the father's on the movie only at the beginning for a little while.

That being said, the movie wasn't too bad, Fred and George rock, they got the grave yard scene right (though there are only like 4 Death Eaters when Voldemort summons 'em.), they got Voldemort right, and they got Cedric and Fleur right.

The scene were Harry Returns from the graveyard was great. First the people don't even notice Cedric's dead, they're just clapping... then suddenly Fleur screams... Hagrid's expression changes, then they notice.

The scene with Karkaroff's trial, where he's saying all the names was great, 'cause he starts saying "Wait, wait! I have one more name, one person who was directly involved with the torturing by means of the Cruciatus curse, of the Longbottoms." then you can see Barty Crouch JR standing up and starting to go, Igor says his name, he starts to run, Moody's on top of him in an instant.

Moody wasn't that bad either, at first you're like WTF DID THEY DO TO HIS EYE!?!? But, he wasn't bad.

The actor who played Barty Crouch JR was good as well.

They got the dragons right!

Basically, though it is a good movie you sometimes get the feeling that it was made in a hurried way, some scenes that would've been awesome and that wouldn't've took so long where not even included.

The most "hurried" parts are both the beginning and the ending. I swear I almost puked at how they messed up the Death Eaters at the World Tournament and stuff.

Michael Gambon is a good Dumbledore, though I liked the other one better.

Anyway, what this movie is missing is several "clue scenes" that, done correctly, would've made this movie great. Little important things are missing from the movie, so they didn't screw up THAT bad, yet I'm still wondering why they took out the House-Elves, or the monsters in the maze.

Still, go WATCH IT! You won't be dissappointed, what I wrote is ways this movie could've been great, yet there are still many good things in the movie.
    ---

RATING; 6.7/10
    Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

I saw it yesterday night and liked it, but it was very very rushed.

I swear, Fred and George were on drugs. XD I think Fleur should've been different... Can you imagine the reaction the people who haven't read the books would have? It would be "wtf???" the whole way through. XD Movie 3, they didn't explain the Marauders. Movie 4, they didn't explain anything. It was rapid event after event, but... they had to cram the whole book into an hour and a half.

Umm... I had to stifle laughs at all of the wrong places, like when Harry asked Cho out, and then when Harry was on top of dead Cedric, that sort of thing.

I think they screwed up Dumbledore. They completely missed his personality; too serious, too sinister, too ehh... I don't know.
    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean with Dumbledore but it wasn't exactly screwed up, they just portrayed his character differently.
      Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
      ------------------------------------------------------------
      "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

Cedric was really hot. That was my favorite part of the movie. Heh.

-Dumbledore was slightly scary in this movie, well in the beginning he was. I kind of got used to him as it went on.
        -Rita Skeeter was perfect. And hilarious. I was very upset that they cut her parts though!
        -For some odd reason Krum really bothered me. He was just different than what I expected.
        -I agree with Diego on #12 (The intros of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang.) They were really...interesting...I actually did find Beauxbatons hilarious though.
        *walking walking *sigh* walking walking *stop and sigh* walking walking (zoom into their butts) walking walking*
        -I think the whole Weasley family looked as if they were on drugs. (Except for Ginny.) But when I saw the NYC red carpet premiere thingy of this movie, the Weasleys were all suddenly off drugs with new haircuts! YAY!
        -I liked Fluer actually I thought she was very well done. (Ecspecially for a 20+ year old to be acting as her.)

My favorite quote "Almost all the bubbles were gone." Moaning Myrtle <--that was absolutely hilarious.

Overall I have to give it a pretty high rating because one of my friends went to see it with me, (She absolutely hates HP but has never seen the movies before,) and she understood everything and thought it was very good. (She wants to see the 5th now.)
        penguins will rule the world.

Comment

It seems like they took a lot of the explinations and things like that out. I think it might be a bit hard to understand if you haven't read the book...

ex. Prior Incantanum got a brief mention. with no explination of what it was...

They took out the match... T-T they make a big scene of getting them into the stadion... and cut to the tent... not right... T-T

They did take out Harry's winning's so how they're gonna do Book 6 may be a bit of a problem... and the twins "escape" in Book 5.

I acctually think the entrances for the other schools were quite good. It kinda set's the... mentality... of the two schools.

They kinda screwed up Moody's eye... It's not supposed to stop moving...

The whole movie's just plain funny though. Ferret Malfoy!

Really all they took out were some of the little sub-plot things though... along with a few details that would be nice... but all-in-all a good movie

Comment

Gotta agree with everything here, especially that the beginning basically sucked cuz there was NO tournament and it was really choppy... it rocked otherwise though, with a few little issues. AND RITA SKEETER'S BLACKMAIL THING AT THE END WAS NOT IN THERE!!! *grr* it wasn't THAT big a deal but I loved it... *sigh* Oh well, really good movie and I LOVED the graveyard scene, that was awesome... and the Yule Ball, lol. And I liked the second challenge too, AWESOME...
            Oh, plus the House Elves: SPEW!!! What happened to SPEW??
            heh, Ferret Malfoy was funny! lmao
            *Agent~M*
            "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
            "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
            "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
            "I could live

Comment

I missed the beginning!!!!!!!!! I was SO mad. See I went to see it the day it came out at 3, but my school gets out at 3, so we had to run over to the movie theater, but then right when we got there one of my friends tripped and split her lip, so we missed rather a lot. I think we came in right about when Beauxbatons and Durmstrang showed up. I didn't like the Beauxbatons entrance, but I like the Durmstrang one. Well I guess I didn't like that they had an entrance, that was kind of stupid, but I liked what it was anyway.
              That's pretty much the only part I remember anyway. That and the very ending, which was UBER sad.
              The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
              I promise not to funfun anymore
              Be happy cause life is good

Comment

I liked what I saw but I agree that the movie could have been better. Maybe they should quit changing directors for almost everyone.

I laughed in it once and it was during the part where Voldermort said "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO"...yeah it reminded me of Star Wars Ep. 3 and I couldn't help it...the people around me gave me dirty looks...

I don't like the fact loads of crap got left out and I hope the new director can do better.
                Just my luck, they ran out of cookies again!

I have a demon cat that was spawned from Satan.

Comment

*WALK*STOP*SIGH*WALK*STOP*SIGH*WALK*STOP*BUTTERFLY S* DUMB!!!!!!I LOVED THE DURMSTRANG ENTRANCE@!!!!!!!!!!!!The move was ok too rushed missing key parts SPEW for one.Gryph i had a hard time trying not to laugh at odd things not being random.THE MONEY.*shuts up*
                  The Answer to life the universe and everything: CREW 42!!!!!!!!
                  DON'T PANIC!!!!! *two seconds later once the plan does not work* OK PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  I have a spelling problem. SYWTBAW

Comment

The Whole movie was mental. The books didn't have the fancy entrances of the other schools, No SCREWTS, no Sphinx, the maze was messed up, they didn't show the quidditch world cup, the 2nd task was messed up only a little, the first task was terrible the dragon is supposed to be taller than that and it doesn't chase harry all over the place. I should know I read the book 28 times since 7th grade!

at least they got cedric, cho, and krum right.
                    ---------------------------------------
                    YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.
                    "in remembrance of Peter Murray,5/16/06,dai stiho

Comment

I want the director from movie 3 back!
                      Lessee . . .I liked Durmstrang's entrance--all military-like. Beauxbaton's entrance was just plain funny. Hermione at the Yuel Ball . . .wow.
                      Too choppy, though. Not very good scene transition.
                      (I went to see Saw II only a few days after I saw HP4, so the awesomeness of it probably lowered my opinion of HP4. But I hold to my words.)
                      I lurk. It's what I do.
                      "Always put off until tomorrow what you can do today."

Comment

Well, I just decided to add something in here.

I live in Australia, so the movie doesn't come out until December 1. I figure I'll read the spoilers after, then they won't be spoilers....

I want to read the spoilers but I am too scared I'll completely spoil the movie.

Comment

saw it the first showing you know the whole stay up late thing. i also saw the spoilers but they didnt show much. meh the movie wasnt too good they could have done better. but i am a v. big hp fan and was sort of dissapointed at the whole focusing on the tourney thing angrinesss
                          argghhhh
                          CountD

Comment

Cassi, we've got a non-spoiler thread going for GoF, as well.

Given that roughly one page of text becomes one minute of screen time, and the book was in excess of 700 pages, if you wanted everything in the book to be in the movie, you'd have roughly a 12 hour movie. They had to do it in less than three.

And from where I'm sitting, it sure as heck didn't FEEL like they'd thrown out three-quarters of the book, so I say they did a pretty good job of adaptation. The things they threw out were things that, for the most part, I didn't care that much about. The only part that was missing that I really did notice and minded was Dumbledore sending everybody off at the end on their individual assignments. Given how much else they tossed out, I think that's pretty good.

I agree a few of the transitions over cuts were abrupt. I think both the World Cup and first-three-dragons sequences would've benefited with a ten-second montage to indicate passing time, but I'm not a professional film director.

I also preferred the tone of this movie to the third one. YMMV, I have quite a few friends who think the third flick was the best one of all. But for me, a large reason of why I like reading the books is the British "cosiness" and charm, the nice little eccentricities and the humor. This was all vastly missing from the third flick, and abundantly present in GoF. Of course, I have an additional prejudice in that I've seen other films by both directors, and loved all four of Mike Newell's (GoF), and hated both of Cuaron's (PoA) .

For me, however, the most telling bits as to how much I liked this film, is that I don't mind the additions that were made. Hermione's line to Ron about how he ruined everything (at the dance) isn't in the book. And it was completely right. The second dance (with the rock band, and the camera pan over to the losers' table) also isn't described as such in the book, but also felt completely the way it ought to.

The thing is that the movie isn't meant to replace or even BE the book. It's just a different version, an adapation. If I want the book, I'll read the book.

The same goes for the Narnia flick. I know there will be things in there that are different from the book (the big battle being realized being one--in the book it's all off-screen). That's the reason I want to go and see it. If it were exactly the same as the book, why not just read the book instead?
                            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I loved the movie. I thought it was the best one so far. But, I wish the house elf plot hadn't been cut. I was looking foward to seeing Hermione, Harry, and Ron wearing buttons that said "S.P.E.W' Oh well

Comment

Working...
                              X