No announcement yet.

Diana Wynne Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I met her on a number of occasions, the first a decade or more ago, when a choir in which I sing spent a couple of very enjoyable weekends using her basement as a recording studio. I was relatively new to fandom, and her basement introduced me to the concept of double-stacked and tripple-stacked bookshelves. The weekends were rather warm, and we spent quite a bit of time cooling off on her back lawn, and had some good conversations. Later that same summer she was one of the guests at Wincon V, the 1999 UniCon, in Winchester. Being new to fandom, I'd not taken any of my books along for signing. I found a copy of Homeward Bounders on one of the dealers' shelves, bought it, and she signed it for me. Our paths have crossed from time to time, mostly at conventions, in the years since, but those two weekends are treasured.
    -- Rick.

Comment

There's an obituary by Christopher Priest on Diana Wynne Jones in The Guardian, and Neil Gaiman's tribute to her is also a fine one.
      Last edited by Lazy Leopard; March 30, 2011, 04:56:06 AM. Reason: Tidy URL and add Neil Gaiman's tribute
      -- Rick.

Comment

No way! DWJ passed away? I did not know that. =( That's very sad to hear, I enjoyed her Moving Castle books.

I'm hoping to read the third one after reading the first two again after my exams and Omnitopia.
        How do you wake Lady Gaga up in the morning?
        You poke her face.

Comment

Even though we've lost an amazing author and we're sad, we'll still always have her books to read. And in DWJ's case, that's a lot of books and a lot of really good reading.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I found out Diana Wynne Jones ... died a couple weeks ago... poor diane. her books will truly remain a great & wonderful memoir from home ... RIP Diana Wynne Jones
            A spell always works. -So You Want To Be A Wizard I wonder would it work on my sisters... hmm...

Comment

Enchanted Glass.
              I am so glad that so many authors are blogging about their experiences of her. I learned so much more about her through that. It's not any consolation for the rest of the books she could

Comment

arg

woah.... Lots of news I'm finding out here. This is not happy news though....
                I went through a 2 year period without internet access and totally fell out of the loop where these things are concerned.

Very sad to hear... It's always disheartening when a great literary and creative mind fades from our world... But life moves on.

A salute to a great writer with imagination and breadth of vision...

Comment

Working...
                X