What characters do you identify with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What characters do you identify with?

I was just wondering what characters in books people identified well with. Personally, I see myself in both Nita and Dairine in YW, and especialy Meggie from Inkheart. As someone who doesn't usually relate to characters, or people for that matter, I'll be interested to hear what other people think.
    Last edited by Silverclaw; April 29, 2009, 06:59:44 PM.
    -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.
    -It's only impossibe if you believe it is.
    -Existence is belief. I believe in magic, so it's real to me.

Meggie as well. Jacen Solo during his days in the Young Jedi Knights series. Shay in the Uglies-Pretties-Specials books. Daine the Wild Mage from Tamora Pierce's Tortall books. That's all.
    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it binds the Universe together.
    "Oh. So...what, you liked it 'cause it was shiny?" - Logan Cale
    "I'm sixteen. Of course I'm hungry." - Ben Skywalker

Comment

Tiffany from Terry Pratchett's books. She's no-nonsense, doesn't think her name quite suits her, brave, and has Second and Third thoughts. (Which will only make sense to readers of the books.)
      Also, Suzy Turquoise Blue from the Keys to the Kingdom, and Pinto and Kestral Hath from the fantastic Wind on Fire trilogy. Aerin from the Hero and the Crown. I can't think of any YW characters, though...possibly Carmela? I like her attitude, but I don't share her personality.

Comment

I always identified with Nita. I really understood Dairine's power-hungry knowledge gathering in HW, but her attitude's a very far cry from mine... Dairine and Nita's relationship is very close to the one between me and my sibling, too. If only I could send him to Mars...
        Other characters? Kim, in Spirits that Walk in Shadow by Nina Kiriki Hoffman. That had more to do with a period in my life than what I am now, but it still resonates deeply. Meliara in Crown Duel, by Sherwood Smith. Sophie in Howl's Moving Castle. On the boys' side, Eric "Cat" Chant, in the Pinhoe EggCharmed Life). Will Stanton from the Dark is Rising series, maybe.
        For the most part, I don't relate very often or much to any one character. There are things that I admire, but would not hope to imitate; and traits I possess, but are swamped by enough differences that we aren't very similar at all. What do you think? How important is identification with characters?

Comment

In YW, though everyone probably says this, I'm Nita. I have a passion for reading and knowledge, and I'll speak my mind. On the other hand, I'm not at all shy and I don't have a bullying problem.
          Last edited by estar9821; August 20, 2011, 08:31:00 PM.
          "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

Originally posted by dorotheia View Post
            For the most part, I don't relate very often or much to any one character. There are things that I admire, but would not hope to imitate; and traits I possess, but are swamped by enough differences that we aren't very similar at all. What do you think? How important is identification with characters?
            I think identification with characters on some level is important, in that they have to be *human* and believable, but I don't think it's that important to relate to any character specifically. So I guess it's more like identification with certain traits that a character has, rather than the character specifically. Because if the characters aren't believable, then what happens to the story?

But I think that the characters have to be likable too. Not all of them, of course, but, for example, I have trouble re-reading the Harry Potter series because I don't very much like many of the main characters/protagonists. (I do love over-analyzing the series, though. )

But anyway, characters that I identify with personally . . . I used to really identify with Dairine. I don't much anymore, but I still love her.

Umm . . . Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter, definitely; she's one of the 3 or 4 main-ish characters from the series that I do actively like/respect, and besides, she's Totally Awesome. And Keladry from the Protector of the Small series.

-------

Comment

Hmm. I think I am made of Hermione & Luna from Harry Potter, Kit from the YW series, Phoebe from Oh. My. Gods. That's all I got for now. My mind is going blank
              A spell always works. -So You Want To Be A Wizard I wonder would it work on my sisters... hmm...

Comment

Umm....Nita, but doesn't almost everyone ;P Kel, from the Protector of the Small books
                (those are my two favorite series, so....)

Can't think of that many others, really, but....nope. my mind's going blank. But there are definitely TONS of characters who I WISH I was like =D

Oh, and I'm glad that there're other Tamora Pierce fans out there! She's awesome. And just a really nice lady to boot! And, her books are unbelievably epic
                All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Working...
                X