The Golden Compass discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Golden Compass discussion

I'm creating this thread to get TGC messages out of the SYWTBAW thread. I almost posted there, so I figured I'd better set a good example and wind up in the right place. :-)
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Have you seen any of the trailers? They made Pan's voice a girls. That pretty much is the beginning of totally destroying tha movie in my opinion. I don't know if i'll see it- it appeares as if they have already totally messed it up- if they couldn't make Pan a boy, who knows what else they'll have messed up?
    Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

"laugh out loud" your kidding!!!!!!!!!!! Tell me your kidding, that is the worst thing I have ever heard! It might be amusing to watch though, though I cannot imagine Pan as a boy. I am going to see it tonight, I write agian when I see if it is good or not!
      Kardia

Comment

Not to re-mention the Golden Compass,but I recommend NOT seeing it if you have read the book.(Pan's voice sounds girly, but the name in the credits is a boy's...I think it's Jack or something) Clara, you might have to kill someone.
        Anyway, nothing is in sequential order, and they did not even put the whole book into the movie. They stopped it three-quarters of the way through.
        If that happened to SYWTBAW, Nita and Kit wouold be somewhere in the middle of there ordeal, probably before the sun goes out. Nita would probably meet Fred before she meets Kit(don't know how that would work)All the very small but very important details would be left out (like Peach and the fish, and probably the talking with the trees)and things that HAVE TO be known about (or at least mentioned) before-hand would not have been, therefore confusing all of the viewers (especially us)
        *rants on and on* oh yeah, (seeing as the way Lyra got the answers from the Alethiometer was all wrong), Nita and Kit would probably get the answers from the fish & Peach (if they even mention them)not in riddles, but something less mysterious.
        They'd probably turn worldgating into something new too. And I bet you the history would be all wrong
        Then again, what are the chances that DD has tha same producers as TGC? and even if they do change the movie, they would have all of us to worry about. I think it would not be a risk worth taking for the producers to change the movies;they wouldn't be safe to leave the house.
        Anyway, sorry to bring TGC back into this forum,but I just had to compare it to what might (oh, I hope not)happen to SYWTBAW, and if they had all the same mistakes, how messed up the entire movie series would be. *sighs from exasperation* Just a thought(Nightmare)I had after seeing it.
        ~We're the kinda friends that kill each other for a handful of Doritos and in the end we don't say sorry we say Haha! Too bad!!~. Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Comment

Pan isn't a girl -- the actor is Freddie Highmore, who played Charlie in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He's only 15 now, and he must have done the voice acting at least a year ago, if not longer.

And as one of the reviewers at AintItCool.com pointed out, moving the end of the book is much the same thing that they did in Fellowship of the Ring. Assuming we get the next two books, it will work out in the end. So, go see it, so they decide to spend the money to make the next one. :-)

I went Saturday night: while there were things I noticed as being off, it wasn't annoying enough to start screaming "No, no, NO!" -- which LotR got pretty close to at some points. :-) Lyra rocked. :-) It'll be interesting to see if Nicole Kidman can convincingly pull off some of the twists that Mrs. Coulter goes through in the next couple of books. I'm not too worried, though -- if anyone can, she can.

I'm embarrassed to say that I thought Patrick Stewart was the voice of Iorek until I got to the credits. Afterwards, I was rather amused by one of the other casting choices. And when Derek Jacobi came on screen, my first reaction was "It's The Master!" I don't know if I'll go back to "Hi, Brother Cadfael" anytime soon... Jacobi is such a good villain....

Edit: Ok, now I'm even more amused. Lord Asriel and Serafina Pekkala have acted together even more recently than McKellen and Lee. :-)
          "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Ha,ha, I accually loved the movie, I mean some things were off, but the general order of things was good. The movie was understandable and the grafics were great in my opinion. I really liked the way the demons transformed and Miss Culter really gave me the creeps. I really liked Lee and Hester!!! They were hallarious. Lyra was a great actress, that girl really has a future! And the majestirium was really creepy, It really showed the evilness that is convayed in the book. It was a really good movie on the whole in my opinion for first being a book, and compared to Eragon, It was like heaven, at least it made sense and had a good plot and the characters were good!

We finnaly managed to get an adivisory to write something. We are good!! OHHH and I loved Iorek, I really agree with you advisory, and thanks for moving that chat it was way off topic!
            Kardia

Comment

I notice most of you are people who have read TGC before seeing the movie. I haven't yet read it (It's on a large list of books to "read when I get time" along with others that are on my list to "finish writing when I get time"). As someone unfamiliar to the story, there didn't seem to be anything really missing from the plot. Sure there are unanswered questions, and a definite sense of a great deal to come, but it seemed self-consistent. The special effects, especially the shape changes, and deaths were amazing. I absolutely loved the movie.
              -Positronic Cat
              (I have sat between the great lion statues, hoping for a glimpse of the future.)

Comment

*rereads The Golden Compass* I read it originally in middle school sometime, so as I've forgotten everything I'm going to reread it first.
                "Half of the ehhif on the planet go to bed with empty stomachs: the other half die of eating themselves sick...." -Rhiow,The Book of Night With Moon

Comment

I'm still reading the book, and intend to see the movie...I'll just have to keep it seperate from the book within my mind. It's still good, i suppose- it would just be a whole lot better if they renamed it, changed thechracters name, and gave some credit for the general idea having come from the book so that the book could have some added publicitity. It would actually be CHEAPER for them, because they wouldn't have to pay the author quite so much, and the author wouldn't have tro tear his hair out at what they're doing to his books...just at all the living expenses that he has to pay to survive. :P
                  I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                  For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

I actually like YR's idea, and I tend to keep movie and book from mingling in my mind, because then it ruins the book for me. By the way, mysss, is it just my widescreen computer, or is your post only one line? Sorry for bothering you, It's just I want to know how short I can make it so it dosn't show as one line on other computers. I guess it dosen't make much difference. I know I'm off topic- AGAIN.

Comment

"If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
                      -Terry Pratchett
                      Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

Same here, I read the book like three years ago, so my memory isn't perfenct! But I intend to reread it as well But by my standards of movies made from books the movie was great, I mean compared to Eragon and others they really went by the story line!
                        Kardia

Comment

I found one big change last night. In the original, Iorek fights Iofur almost at the end. The movie places it earlier so that the rescue is the big climax.

I was going to read TGC to Erin at bedtime last night, but she told me she wanted me to read the second book. I checked the end of Book 1 to see where I needed to start reading. Once I realized that stuff had been shifted around, I decided that there was no way I couldn't start at the beginning again. :-(/:-)

Comment

I don't think that's a good thing Garret. It shows how much the movie messed up the book. That's why I tend to read the book before seeing the movie. I don't think they should have changed around the events that much. Oh well, I still haven't seen it, so I suppose I should stop posting on here until I do, But I just don't think it sounds that great.

Comment

I think TGC was beautifully done. Lyra was perfect, she was exactly how I imagined her. Sure they shifted stuff around and made minor changes, but the way they did it was so people who hadn't read the book would understand it better. I mean <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Billy wasn't the boy Lyra found with his daemon cut, it was Tony M-something,</span> but the reason they did it was because the public knew <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Billy</span> from earlier. It was all minor things like that which were changed and the only reason I realized it was because I know the books backwards and forwards. There's so much more detail in the book that they wouldn't be able to put in the movie without getting people WAY confused. Sorry if I rambled, but that is my opinion. Highlight places where there's seemingly no words because they're spoilers. One of my favorite parts: "Say it. Say 'I'm not a lady'," Lyra.
                              I stand tall, proud, brave, straight, and strong.
                              Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance.
                              ~Book junkie~

Comment

Working...
                              X