No announcement yet.

What Makes a book memorable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To make a book really stick in my head is one that has detail and gets you to think and sympathis with the main characters! oh and you have to have a great bady sometimes too! and at least one moment where your heart stops because something either special or sad has just happened.
    Fox
    God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what makes a book memorable or good, only that after you - or at least I do - read one, I get this weird feeling in my stomach. Also, I know the book is good when I get near the end and think, "Aww, man! It's almost over!c Now this adventure can't ever be the same again!"

Drama_Queen

Comment

I usually can't tell that a book is going to be a favorite until after I've finished reading it (and usually more than once). If I want to read it again or want to find out what happens next, then it's probably a book I've enjoyed. So I'm excited to find out that a book is part of a series and I'll devour that series as quickly as possible, then I'm disappointed that the next book isn't out yet. But my favorites are the ones I can read over and over again, and not skip any of the boring parts ('cause there usually aren't any).
        The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming dragon.

Comment

When a book includes some moments of sadness, easy flows of time in words, sadness, love, and happiness all in the same book, then I would have to say that its memorable.
          Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

I think what makes it memorable is the character. You get to know them over the course of the book enough that they could be real people, at least, when the book is well written that's it.

Another thing I remember well from books is the very funny parts. The ones that make you laugh out loud every time you read them, and you re-read until your sides hurt from laughing. Then you memorize them so you can share them with others.

Those are the things that make books memorable to me.
            "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

- Good vs Evil
              - Plot flows nicely
              - Suspense
              - Time I took to read it
              - Eagerness to find out what happens in the next book (if there will be one)
              - A story's uniqueness
              - Sense of adventure
              - When things go horribly wrong at any point
              "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Oh, that's a really good thing to think about...

I like books that have a good plotline and all, but I really really know that a book will be a favorite, if the book makes me think differently. I read and loved the book Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, and it really changed my perspective. It went on my favorites list immediately, and I wrote about a page-long review of it on facebook. It really made me look at people differently, and try to be more observant... Young Wizards, as well, changed how I thought. It made me look at the universe differently. And a book that can do that, must be pretty darn amazing.

Also, as Eric pointed out, there's the eagerness to read the next book... I think that's an important factor. When I read the first YW book, I went to the library the next day, and got every single book in the series, because I really wanted to know what happened next. The Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld is another one that made me instantly want to read the next book. I actually grabbed the third one off the shelf, about two seconds after I had finished the second one, and read it all the way through.

Another thing, is that it helps to have a character that's if not easy to relate to, is at least interesting. They can't all be Mary Sues... Haha...

Really though, if a book can make you laugh, cry, think deeply, and feel like you've become best friends with the characters, it's a good one, in my sight. For me, rereading my favorite books is like hanging out with old friends; the type that you will always remember pleasantly.
                Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

I like books with good characters. Something where you feel as though you actually know the person, they've grown, they're human, they have flaws and so on. I also like something with universals in it. For example Shakespeare is amazing because he takes things that everyone feels and makes them understandable and approaches them from every angle. Themes are good. Also, books that have a lot of philosophizing in them, like Paradise Lost. I know I'm using really intimidating examples, but they're classic for a reason. I like plot, but at the moment it's not my hugest priority. I like having things I can analyze.
                  The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                  I promise not to funfun anymore
                  Be happy cause life is good

Comment

For me, the book is a favorite if I can fit myself into it, I tend to create a character to go through the situation with the people in the book (that's caused some really strange dreams, let me tell you) Also, if I can't put it down, and want to keep reading it, no matter what I'm doing (that can get hard when you have to pay attention to work...) I just finished Eragon and am in the middle of Eldest now... (growl.... stupid puter is acting up again)

Edit: Eep! I can't believe I forgot that another way that a story is memorable to me is if I'm listening to music in the background and a song comes on that instantly weaves itself in the story, it's a way that I never forget the story because each time I hear the song, I think of that story. Like a book called But We Are Not Of Earth, I heard a song that reminded me of a time in the story, and now every time I hear that song, I think of that part.
                    Last edited by Stormwind; February 24, 2009, 12:49:23 AM.
                    There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
                    "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

I love books with a plot that twists and turn, like the book The Healer's Keep, the characters opinions of each other always changed, as well as the situations they were kept in. Sometimes I like to read books with characters that are somewhat like me, but then there are times where I like to read about characters that have a tough personality. Characters like that slowly begin to realize that its ok to be tough, but there are more important things, like love

I love books with characters that slowly develop over time, you know like the Harry Potter series, and I love books that make my mind want to think about something philosophically, oh, and also if the theme intertwines with the plot mentions anything that is a lot like my life.

To be truthful, sometimes I'll just read a book and find it memorable when what it says is something that I could pull out from my memory with no problems whatsoever. If you ever found yourself remembering a quote, or even parts of an important chapter, and you somehow can apply the words to your daily life, then that book is definitely memorable.
                      Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

1. Good storyline; one that makes sense
                        2. Memorable and loveable characters
                        3. Easily visualised setting

When I read a book, I usually 'see' it from the main character's point of view, so I guess what makes it a really memorable book for me, is if its easy to do that; the best ones I read, I will dream the storyline, as if I was the main character. Storylines that make sense are also very good; for example if a character does something 'out of character' for them to forward the story, then it tends to make it unbelievable. Suspense is also very good and an author who isn't afraid to put their characters into danger is also a good thing - especially if its set in a dangerous world.

Comment

Another thing I didn't mention, is when you stop realizing that you're reading at all. It feels as if you're watching it happen, or being one of the characters. As if, almost, the book is reading you. Haha, reminds me of the Book of Night With Moon, from SYWTBAW. Sometimes I think of reading as a form of expressing yourself, but through the words of others. Kind of like music, but more beautiful, and in story form.
                          Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

I'm still trying to puzzle out what I like in fiction. The ones I remember to reread tend to be lighthearted and a bit whimsical, but have a poignant ending. The traits of good storytelling aways apply: rounded and varied characterization, plots that make sense...honestly, I have to stop and think to be truly aware of characters and not just sit on their shoulder and go "oooh" for the course of the book.

I suppose the most memorable ones, to me, are the quietly epic ones- the ones that I read and go on a faraway adventure and come back feeling like I'd found another piece of myself, or I've spent the afternoon curled up listening to the universe tick, or something. The stories don't especially have to be original, or have the power to make me cry (I prefer they don't, as that minimizes chances that I'll reread it); they just have to connect with me.

Kind of like music, but more beautiful, and in story form.
                            Like that. Just as beautiful as music, and has hard to describe.
                            -Tell me and I may remember; show me and I'll understand; involve me and I'll never forget. Thank you, PM. Your light lives on.

Comment

Wow, KK. That's another thing that I love about books that I never mentioned. *smacks self for not remembering to mention the important thing about remembering books*

To me it feels as if I'm falling into the world of the book, and I lose track of time, others around me, and the words on the page. I'm living the story, not reading it. I'm completely immersed in the characters and plot. No, really. I can be reading, and someone can walk up to me and wave at me, or start talking to me, and I won't even notice. It drives my mom mad, but I can't help it...
                              "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

If it actually stays gook when you reread it. Often a book seems good the first time around, because it's suspenseful, exciting, or entertaining, but when I reread it I notice that it's junky writing. A good book you can reread and still enjoy it for the writing, humor, characters, or things you missed the first time. Some books actually get better the more times I read them. Also, if the characters stick with me. I firmly believe that great characters can save a boring plot or mediocre writing. Likewise, if the book has a good plot or is well-written, but has under developed or unoriginal characters, I probably won't enjoy it as much.
                                -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.
                                -It's only impossibe if you believe it is.
                                -Existence is belief. I believe in magic, so it's real to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X