Redwall books by Brian Jacques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redwall books by Brian Jacques

Has anyone heard of these? I asked and several in chat had. Does anyone have an all-time favorite warrior? Or even another character for some reason? Please post about Redwall here, and, as this is my first topic, any criticism from the experienced about that is welcome as well.
    "Half of the ehhif on the planet go to bed with empty stomachs: the other half die of eating themselves sick...." -Rhiow,The Book of Night With Moon

Just FYI, you can do a search on the topics that have been discussed around here. Use the Find button in the toolbar, and then type in a phrase. A search for Redwall shows these results.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

...THESE BOOKS ARE EVIL! well...not necesarily, since i'm thinking of reading one...but my mom once tried to get me to read them, and i haven't liked them as a result. *Shrugs* i'm a very picky reader! when people make me read a book i don't like reading i resent it! *rethinks earlier sentiment* THESE BOOKS MAY OR MAY NOT BE EVIL! much better, i think. *grins*
      I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
      For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Thanks Kli6. I tried to search for a Redwall topic and I do not know how I didn't see those. Hmm...I also seem not to have noticed a gigantic "books" topic....
        "Half of the ehhif on the planet go to bed with empty stomachs: the other half die of eating themselves sick...." -Rhiow,The Book of Night With Moon

Comment

These books are the worst of the worst, well, almost. The plots are reacurring, the writing's horrid, they breed racism and facism, and the overall stink. I'll give my complete veiws later.
          I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

So, not a fan of the series, Rubywolf?

I actually enjoyed reading the first one and can see why someone would enjoy the series as a whole, but I had a problem with the fact that for me, I didn't get any "mouse"/"creature" vibes off any of the characters, and would have been happier if they'd been written as people.

Can't say it was any worse on racism than C.S. Lewis's Narnia books. Or Tolkein's Lord of the Rings, come to think of it. (Poor orcs. Never get to be the good guys).
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Redwall. Redwall. I try in vain to recall one complete story, and all I can remember are the shows PBS aired. Of course, I watched them about ten times each. I wanted to read the books in order, but after Salamandra, which went missing in the library and was not bought again, I abandoned the series. They weren't terribly intriguing to me. Of course, with series that go on forever I always abandon them at some point. Don't get me started on Boxcar Children (in the 100's now, I see). There are just too many to read, although I thought the Redwall series was good (not great or awesome; at times the plot was as thick as molasses).

Comment

...well, i'm glad i'm not alone in disliking them. *may forgo my planned attempt at giving them another shot* *wonders waht you dislike about them so much, though...* i mean, i know why I odn';t like them, but i wonder what in them you found so offensive?
                For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

I happen to LOVe Redwall to pieces, but that's just me. I first got introduced to them by one of my best friends, but I wouldn't read it at first, I made fun of it because, Imean, It's MICE! How can you read something like that? I happen to like the way it's written, though I agree a little repetitive. Though you have not read repetitive until you read some books by Clive Cussler. Every single book, and I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE has a bad guy wanting to either a) rule the world, or b) destroy the world. Also that bad generally has "ice blue emotionless eyes" and has no feelings. The hero always arrives in the nick of time, and you will also see the author playing a small but vital roll in EVERY SINGLE FLIPPIN BOOK!!! The moment you start reading you can predict what will happen. At least redwall has some variety! Ok, done with my ranting, but that felt good to get off my chest.
                  Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
                  Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic
                  Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
                  Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Comment

I'm coming into this a tad late, but I also love Redwall. I'm rereading some of the series right now!
                    "My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always..." ~Book of Night with Moon

Comment

I have LOADS of Redwall books, and I love them all. I remember going to a local bookstore every time I finished one and my dad would buy me the next one in the series as a gift. It was really fun. Eventually we moved away, but after that I found the animated Redwall series on PBS and sat down every day at 1pm, snacks in hand, to enjoy a half hour of Redwall. I had so much fun. I probably need to reread a lot of those books, it's been several years since I even touched most of them and I've forgotten a lot of the details...Matthias was always my favorite warrior, though. I even used the phrase "I am that is" for awhile, for some reason I've forgotten.
                      The Dead Robots' Society - A podcast for writers, by writers
                      Subscribe today at www.deadrobotssociety.com

Comment

I absolutely dislike Redwall.It promotes violence and bias. War is not cool, it will never be cool, and for some reason Brian Jaques can't understand that. Also, the world isn't divided into good and evil. Jaques has already admitted that there willnever be one of the evil creatures (like ferrets)that will be good or a good creature (like a mouse) that will be bad. This teaches children, whom are the victims of the series, that the world is a lot less complicated than it really is. What kind of thing is that to prepare them for the world?

C.S. Lewis has some sort of problem with the middle east, I haven't read the lord of the Rings so I can't talk about those, and I could go on for ages.
                        I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

ferrets are very good creatures! *is very strong ont his since one of mine died recentlY* and people tend to over simplify things, AND make war seem glorious...it's a tendency that's been around for years, and will be present for many years more, because people will often insist on believing it.

Comment

Working...
                          X