Star Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars

I noticed that nobody had created a Star Wars topic yet (or that I could find, anyway).
    Please! Talk about Star Wars!
    "Before God we are all equally wise-and equally foolish."
    "It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education."
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    "If you are out to describe

if you need star wars! i am one of the people to talk to. i know almost every thing about Star Wars! just let me know if you want to talk about Star Wars any time. We need star wars. Thank you for repling!

just wanted to see if any body is waiting for the realeses of star wars kotor 3 and the XBOX 360 not 2!!! Thank you for repling!

Merged two posts. - Peter

Comment

Guys, there is an edit button, so that you avoid posting twice - more posts = more of DD's $$$!

Most of the star wars discussion has gone on in TOGR or the movie thread. Or in the chat. *shrugs* the saga is over now so there isn't really that much to talk about - well in my opinion, anyway. Now that I've had time to think about it, I was actually pretty disappointed with EPIII. The best thing about it was the soundtrack.

Alla

Comment

NO, you are wrong there is alot to talk about! there are plenty of star wars books,games,movies, and oter star wars saga updaters. like the legend of Darth Plaques, is it rumor of fact. belive it or not it is a correpting rumor used to turn padawans to the dark side!or star wars kotor that is a new saga for every body! i mean why don't star wars fans talk about star wars they are all in hidding!!!

Comment

Ehhh.. For me Star Wars is losing it's flare. I mean I loved the original 3 episodes and alot of the books ( especially the ones by Timothy Zahn), but with the very dissapointing new movies I feel the industry has doomed itself. Star Wars just isn't fun anymore, now that its represented by an angsty no talent actor who kills "younglings" (HAHA that part in the movie cracked me up, not to mention a majority of the audience. It just went way overboard... First Jar Jar Binks and now this!).
          "He who made kittens put snakes in the grass."

"Even if love does not dawn,
          The sun also rises,
          The day goes on."

Comment

I know exactly what you mean, Defender. Although that bit didn't crack me up - it disturbed me. I didn't want to talk about that bit for a week. Mainly because I actually _liked_ anakin as a character before then. It was probably because they showed him at the beginning as such a hero. v vgggggggggg - sorry, that was a *headdesk* to my friend at something she just said. But yes, now lion_ess has made me lose my train of thought... I'll edit it in later if I can catch it again.

Alla

Comment

Alla said: Now that I've had time to think about it, I was actually pretty disappointed with EPIII. The best thing about it was the soundtrack.
              I haven't seen EPIII yet. You were dissapointed with it, Alla? Hmm... I do agree that the soundtrack is awsome though. We even played it in band, which was very fun, especially considering how much I hate band....

I actually liked Anakin in the last two movies, despite the fact that I knew he would turn evil. That may change when I see EPIII though... I'm not a really big fan of Star Wars anyway. While it's entertaining and all, it's just not for me.

Comment

Well I say Star Wars is the best thing that ever happened to the movies. I think Star Wars is the best topic to talk about. and i can't wait for kotor 3 comes out does anybody know when it is coming out?

Comment

Hmm, it seems that topic hasn't gotten much attention, nevertheless, I thought I'd just throw in my own opinion to the recently released Revenge of the Sith:

Personally, I thought that it was a worthy ending to a long running popular movie series (one of the longest running I believe). It certainly was darker than any of the others, but that was to be expected. The storyline was fairly well done even if there were a few cheesy lines.

Concerning Anakin, for those audience members didn't like the film because of just how far out he went here, well, you really shouldn't be too surprised. His murder of the younglings shouldn't come as too much of a shock, as it is reminiscent of his murder of the sand people, so you knew he was already capable of slaughter. From what I can tell, Lucas' main point in his first three films was to show that even an innocent child, a nice kid, could grow up to become an evil person. I'd say he pulled it off well, Anakin's obsession destroys him.

I'd like to add that Ewan McGregor as Kenobi also had some of the best lines. In any case, the series is over, for better or worse. If you thought the last film was bad, I'd be curious to know how you think it might be improved.
                  ---------------------------
                  "The law of entropy is just a complicated way of explaining why some things don't happen very often."
                  -Norman Christ, Professor of Physics, Columbia University (Does the Lone One know this? :P)

Comment

There will probably be no end to the star wars saga. Coming up in a novel will be the story of how the death star was created. And recently the Dark Nest trilogy by Troy Denning. The Dark Nest Trilogy takes place a few months i think after the New Jedi Order series. after the dark nest books is a nine or eight book series by a few authors.(maybe tim zahn). Also to be in stores soon the story of Outbound Flight and it's destruction by chiss Commander Thrawn.
                    ---------------------------------------
                    YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.
                    "in remembrance of Peter Murray,5/16/06,dai stiho

Comment

What do you think will become of Luke, R2-D2, C3-P0, Leia, Han, and that old fat guy down the street? I really want lucas to come out with a new film and continue making movies till the end of time, wich reminds me...
                      "I met him inna swamp down in deagobah where it bubbles all the time like a giat carbonated soda!" And it goes on all weird like that for a while. So Tell me if you think that Lucas should continue making the films!!!
                      Elmo know were you live. Elmo know were lots of people live. Elmo have phonebook.

When Jesus said love your enemies, I'm pretty sure he said don't kill them.

Comment

Ah the weird al song. sweet.

YES KEEP MAKING MOVIES AND WRITING BOOKS TILL THE END OF TIME!

-MBF
                        ---------------------------------------
                        YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.
                        "in remembrance of Peter Murray,5/16/06,dai stiho

Comment

I agree totally with Mythbusterfan. I love the movies, and was very sad when people told me that he was not making any more movies.
                          Lover of Most Books...
                          Finder of Lost Things...
                          Eater of all Sweet Stuff...
                          Wonder of the West...

Comment

If I had the force I would steal the falcon, go an a rampage to obtain all carmellos and the Cadburry company, control the stock market, and make me some decent coffee. would you be a sith or a jedi????? I would be a sith. I mean it is soooooooo much easier. You can love, you can senslesly kill, and you can build a giant ball of death to destroy planets. But what I mean to say is that I would be a good sith lord. I would have all the perks of the dark side, but people would like me!! Mabye THEN I coul get some decent coffee...
                            So people, tell me wich you think owns more.

Sith???
                            or
                            Jedi???
                            E-mail me at magicfisherman@mn.rr.com
                            Carmello Master sighing off!
                            Elmo know were you live. Elmo know were lots of people live. Elmo have phonebook.

When Jesus said love your enemies, I'm pretty sure he said don't kill them.

Comment

Interesting topic.

I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy.

If you want to try a little extended universe (showing how things happened after all of that), there are a bunch of books on the subject, most notably two trilogies by Timothy Zahn and the New Jedi Order series. Zahn's Star Wars books are definitely the best EU in terms of quality and stay closest to character considering the restrictions imposed on him by earlier storylines. The New Jedi Order series is spotty in terms of quality, but has some interesting perspectives on what might happen to the main characters and the New Republic. The Courtship of Princess Leia was all right and sets up a lot in the rest of the EU. I do recommend two series of short stories edited by Kevin Anderson called Tales from Jabba's Palace and Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina. Some stories are better than others, but most were quite entertaining and give rich ideas of the varied universe Lucas has tried to create. And they're great to read when you don't have long periods of time to read. The rest of the literary Star Wars cannon, or at least what I've read of it, is pretty much not worth mentioning.

As for the prequels (particularly Ep. 3 -

What a can of worms to open.

Frankly, I wasn't all that impressed. The visuals, of course, are superb. They are, perhaps, Lucas's hallmark. I enjoyed Ewan MacGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi - he did superbly with what he was given and often seemed to be the only major character with a sense of humor.

Lucas probably needed a co-writer, someone with enough vision to appreciate the great potential of George's stories but enough clout to rein in his occasional excesses and (especially) edit the dialogue. Episode III was much better than the other prequels and closer to the original style and aims of the series, but it too could have been improved. I also think Lucas needed a good character director to shoot the movies and work with the actors. (The one time he did, if I'm correct, he gave us the emotional and thematic core of the original trilogy: The Empire Strikes Back.) George's strength is stories and scope of visual imagination, not dialogue or characterization or working with actors. Inasmuch as a story is mythic, perhaps characterization isn't quite as important. But Anakin's story really isn't in many ways, for people perhaps don't like to dwell on...or like to deceive themselves about or misunderstand...the reasons people fall into evil. To that extent, the prequel stories rely that much more on the characters and good writing.

I have to give Lucas credit, though: it's really hard to write a good story explaining why a basically good character goes bad. Particularly as bad as Vader. (How many people have actually committed those kinds of crimes and how many of them truly started out good? Few...if any.) Nor is it easy to draw people to such a story, for such a story (if well and truthfully told) can only be painful and have an increasingly unsympathetic main character. That's the nature of tragedy. So Anakin's story has that burden from the start.

On the other hand, it's possible. Personally, I think it depends on how clear-eyed you can be about people, good and evil and the nature of choices and consequences. I think Lucas shot himself in the foot a little by introducing Anakin as a totally innocent little boy. (Even at nine or ten, the seeds of a full-grown personality, including the beginnings of faults, are well-sprouted and should be apparent--and a boy on the cusp of adolescence might be more convincing both as a character old and experienced enough to make meaningful choices and capable of acting effectively. But I could be wrong.) And I think they needed to work on Padme's character. Delete Jar-Jar and the Trade Federation. Get real about politics. All of that stuff.

Anyway, this is too long already! Thanks!
                              I solemnly swear I am up to no good...

Comment

Working...
                              X