Dr. Who -- It's bigger on the inside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stellazira View Post
    What does everyone think of the series finale?
    I adored it. I've watched it nine times now. But then I am an obsessively devoted River fan, so I don't know what that says about me. *laughs* I keep writing more meta about it - also fanfiction with spoilers, which isn't strictly about the episode but definitely spoils through it.
    Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

So, how does the Doctor keep a "low profile"?

Well, looking forward to more. I think there's a Christmas special planned, or it's going to be a very long wait for more.
      How do you wake Lady Gaga up in the morning?
      You poke her face.

Comment

Originally posted by Stellazira View Post
        Well, looking forward to more. I think there's a Christmas special planned, or it's going to be a very long wait for more.
        There is; they've pretty much finished it now. Bill Bailey and Arabella Weir will be in it, I know that much. And Matt, of course!
        Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a Doctor Who book written by James Swallow sometime in the near-future. I read one of his novels already and after reading a bit of the book on Amazon.ca I'm hoping I can get it for my birthday or Christmas. It might help me through this lack of Doctor Who until the Christmas special arrives.
          How do you wake Lady Gaga up in the morning?
          You poke her face.

Comment

Just thought I should mention. Doctor Who comes back 3/30, both on the Beeb and on BBC America. And that BBC America has decided to join in the upcoming 50th anniversary celebrations for Doctor Who by running through all of the Doctors--one per month-- on the last Sunday of every month. So, January was William Hartnell's First Doctor, February had Patrick Troughton's Second Doctor. So, I'm guessing Easter Sunday 3/31, we'll be getting John Pertwee's Third Doctor. The BBC America show is basically a half hour or so of interviews with the usual suspects (Steven Moffat, John Barrowman, Neil Gaiman...) about said specific incarnation, and then this is followed by a full serial (usually about two to two and a half hours) with the said Doctor. Can't wait to see which one they pick from the Tom Baker era.

Oh, and that Neil fellow apparently has another episode in the upcoming season. It'll be the penultimate one in the season.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

So what do people think of the newest episodes? And I'm very excited, of course, that David Tennant's coming back? Who else do you think they will get for the 50th?
              All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Well, John Hurt as the Doctor is something of a surprise.

Just in passing, I did want to mention, since I figure Doctor Who fans might also be British actor fans--the National Theatre of Great Britain was also formed in 1963 and they also just had their 50th anniversary. To celebrate, they had a huge gala performance basically going through the history of the NT and revisited some of their greatest hits, both in live performance and video clips. It aired on NTLive (and BBC2) on the day in the UK. In the US (and other countries) it may be in a movie theater near you through the NTLive series of broadcast, but if you're in the US and you didn't want to pay money to watch a tv gala , the word is that Great Performances on PBS is going to pick it up in February. The programme of the performance can be found as a PDF here, in case you wanted to see what bits were on offer. There are not a few Harry Potter actors (Frances de la Tour, Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon, etc.), as well as Benedict Cumberbatch (as Rosencrantz in a scene from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead). Obviously, there is some adult material in the gala, so if you're sensitive to mature material and adult language, this may not be for you. Especially the songs from Jerry Springer: The Opera.

And speaking of Harry Potter actors, David Bradley (who played Filch) is going to be playing William Hartnell in An Adventure in Space and Time. It airs 11/21 on BBC2, and on 11/22 on BBC America, while Day of the Doctor airs on 11/23 on both BBC1 and BBC America.
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I'm saddened that nobody has said anything here yet about the 50th anniversary special. The forums can't be that dead .

So, my initial thoughts. (semi-spoiler-y, but the plot-spoiler is spoiled out)

1. The beginning was great. The fact they started with the original opening was awesome (as well as the beginning with a reference like that).

2. Yay references to old doctors.

3. John Hurt's doctor very much fit his part as the War Doctor.

4. The "good men are forged from fire" line was great.

5. TOM BAKER!

6. There should have been a K-9 with Tom Baker and the fact that there wasn't had me complaining for days.

7. There should have been more references to the non 1st and 4th doctors. There were simple places to fit some of them in and they made me sad that they weren't there. Like referencing Bessie.

8. They really made a better transition between classic doctor who and new doctor who than I expected with this. I was terrified it'd be too much pandering to new doctor who people, but instead it was a transition thing. Which is really appropriate for the 50th with the break, connecting the two parts.

9. Gallifrey? Also I disagree with this whole doctor searching for a home thing. He rather pushed the timelords and gallifrey away, and took Earth on way more than them. He has his home.
                  We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

Working...
                  X