No announcement yet.

Dr. Who -- It's bigger on the inside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um... actually, it's the first of seven episodes we're getting in a row, then we take a break and get the last six episodes of the series in the fall. Which means big ol' cliffhanger there.

OMG, I sooooo loved that they hadn't told us that Morgan Sheppard was in the episode, too! That was just *so* cool. A lot of you may be too young to know this, but Morgan Sheppard was Blank Reg on Max Headroom, and he's also Mark Sheppard's dad. So having them play the same character at different ages is just plain fun. Also, Mark Sheppard definitely one of the better "It's bigger on the inside?" scenes. "I like your wheels."
    Last edited by Kathy Li; April 25, 2011, 06:31:39 PM.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

excited

I don't have any cable TV but am hoping to find somewhere to keep up with the series on the internet. Most of the time I prefer not to have tv in the house but this is one of those times when I'm rueing my decision. haha

Meanwhile, I had no idea that episode 4 was written by Neil Gaiman. I may faint.

Comment

I saw the two episodes involving the astronaut's spacesuit: yikes!

There's definitely something more going on here.
        How do you wake Lady Gaga up in the morning?
        You poke her face.

Comment

Scary

I had the privilege of watching the beginning of the season last night.
          I got through the first 6 and a quarter minutes of the Impossible Astronaut part 2 and thought I had watched the entire episode! INTENSE!

David Tennant is still my favorite doctor, but the Ponds are a great addition to the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Stellazira View Post
            ...There's definitely something more going on here.
            From the BBC America "Doctor Who in America" special, it's pretty clear that the beginning of the first episode is the arc setup for the entire season. In the special, Karen Gillen and Matt Smith were saying that Steven Moffat has told everything about the arc plot to Alex Kingston (and only Alex Kingston), because, of course, River's already lived through it, and needs to know what her character knows. Gillen complained that Kingston goes around smirking a lot more than she used to.

Week 3: Pirates! And I'm so looking forward to seeing Hugh Bonneville playing one, vs. that stuffy earl he plays on Downton Abbey.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy Li View Post
              Pirates!
              Pirates!! Piratespiratespiratespiratespiratespiratespirates

Sorry 'bout that. PIRATES!!

That stuff was Nightmare Fuel . . . the beginning of the season I mean. I always know I'm taking a risk when I watch Doctor Who, given how prone I am to dreaming about it, but still. . . .

Oddly enough, the image of a pirate!SarahJaneSmith is in my head now.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, LifeSong =D wow, I haven't been on here in a while....

But yeah, I went to my friends house a while ago and watched season 5 up until the beginning of Vincent and The Doctor. That's as far as I've gotten....but I NEED to catch up *cough cough* MC *cough cough* invite me to your house *cough cough* but, considering that every time I walked around in the dark for like a week after that, I couldn't help but think of the Weeping Angels *shudder* gah. I also watched the David Tennant special about the Titanic......what IS it with the evil Angels?!?!?!

Need to catch up soon i guess.....in the daytime.
                All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy Li View Post
                  From the BBC America "Doctor Who in America" special, it's pretty clear that the beginning of the first episode is the arc setup for the entire season. In the special, Karen Gillen and Matt Smith were saying that Steven Moffat has told everything about the arc plot to Alex Kingston (and only Alex Kingston), because, of course, River's already lived through it, and needs to know what her character knows. Gillen complained that Kingston goes around smirking a lot more than she used to.

[...]
                  Interesting... I did not know that.

I can't say I really enjoyed the pirates episode. I didn't feel like it kept me watching and it seemed rather dull when compared to the last two episodes.
                  You poke her face.

Comment

I can't say I really enjoyed the pirates episode. I didn't feel like it kept me watching and it seemed rather dull when compared to the last two episodes.
                    I'll bet they figured we needed some down time to get ready for the next Wham Episode. :-)

I'm looking forward to the next Gaiman episode as well -- I've been reading him almost as long as I have Diane. :-) (Random comment --you want frustration, try watching the Doctor Who episodes being edited on Wikipedia. "The test was not shown to be inconclusive. We could not see the scanner's screen when the result was delivered, so we don't know what it was. The whole "positive-negative-positive" thing could be (and most probably is) how the TARDIS would always present a pregnancy scan (note the scan was "in progress" the whole time the it was shown on-screen)." *headdesk*)
                    Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; May 11, 2011, 03:05:08 PM. Reason: hide spoiler
                    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald View Post
                      (Random comment --you want frustration, try watching the Doctor Who episodes being edited on Wikipedia. *headdesk*)
                      Wikipedia editing is an exercise in frustration all by itself, and it's surprising how apparently-mundane subjects can become the core of white-hot controversy...
                      -- Rick.

Comment

Originally posted by 96bookworms View Post
                        Thanks for the tip, LifeSong =D wow, I haven't been on here in a while....

But yeah, I went to my friends house a while ago and watched season 5 up until the beginning of Vincent and The Doctor. That's as far as I've gotten....but I NEED to catch up *cough cough* MC *cough cough* invite me to your house *cough cough* but, considering that every time I walked around in the dark for like a week after that, I couldn't help but think of the Weeping Angels *shudder* gah. I also watched the David Tennant special about the Titanic......what IS it with the evil Angels?!?!?!

Need to catch up soon i guess.....in the daytime.
                        I got invited to watch the first episode of this new season at a friend of a friend's house. I knew some about the show, but I'd never actually seen it. And so we watched the hour-long special about the show, and those angels scared me to death. Couldn't sleep with the lights out for a week, and I still occasionally fling my head around just to make sure nothing's behind me. xD

Also, the episode scared me to death, so I didn't watch the second one yet... I'm debating watching it during the day, as well. It was much scarier because it was all dark out.

Comment

scary

I have the pirate episode queued up and ready to go for later tonight or tomorrow sometime. But I can't see it keeping up with the breakneck pace set by the first two episodes. I mean they have got to be among the best on the series ever. That was some really good stuff, and the 10th doctor is my usual favorite. (notice the avatar)

And yeah, the angels and the silence both... chills down my spine.

Comment

David Tennant's Doctor was quite cute. He was a good Doctor too.
                            You poke her face.

Comment

David Tennant's Doctor was quite cute. He was a good Doctor too.
                              I second this. I third this. I fourth this so so much. The fact that I'm not feeling the magic as much for Matt Smith's episodes may have something to do with the fact that I'm unable to move on from Tenth, Donna (), Jack, Martha, and the Master - the Harold Saxon Master. Who played him, by the way?
                              --LifeSong

Comment

John Simm. I knew him first as Sam Tyler in the UK original version of Life on Mars. I liked him, but I gotta admit, I'll always love Derek Jacobi (The Professor/Master) more.

As much as I loved David Tennant's Tenth Doctor and really really loved Catherine Tate's Donna Noble, I'm actually enjoying Matt Smith's Eleventh Doctor, Arthur Darvill's Rory, and Karen Gillen's Amy even more, simply because the emo is earned in ways it wasn't always with Davies at the helm. And there's so much more fun vs. the doom'n'gloom.

Also, I should also float that there was a rumor going 'round that a certain Terry Pratchett may be in communication with Steven Moffat. But he denies that rumor. A lot. All over Twitter. Very loudly.

I am not sure if I'm looking forward to Torchwood: Miracle Day coming up on Starz! network in July 8th. I mean, yes, John Barrowman's Captain Jack! and Eve Myles's Gwen Cooper! and Kai Owens's Rhys Williams! but. a) It's still Davies, b) it's still Torchwood, and c) they've Americanized it.

OTOH, part of that Americanization is the addition of writers like Jane Espenson, whose work I've loved since Buffy Days and on through to Battlestar Galactica and Warehouse 13. The fact that she's rebooting Randall & Hopkirk I might find a little disturbing, but she does good work.

Comment

Working...
                                X