No announcement yet.

Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *thinks* uh...I saw Pirates 3 the other week, with my nephew (8) and my little sister and her friend. By the time we got out, I was ready to, like, cut their throats. Well, not really, but they were getting on my nerves. Especially my nephew. He has an attention span problem and my sister totally cheated and made him call my mom to ask "Lauren and Juliann are going to see Pirates?" and... so I had to watch him and two eleven year olds and when we got out, they were all running around with pent up energy. But the movie was good. my friend probably won't like the ending if she goes to see it, but I enjoyed it. And I have heard that Maximum Ride might become a movie, but haven't heard if that's actually gonna happen for sure...
    "You're so funny. Sometimes, I wish I was a little elf, so I could ride around on your shoulder all day and laugh at you." - my mom. (Yes, she honestly told me that. *rolls eyes*)

Comment

• All right it's time for the movie review!

Pirates 3- thumbs down. Worst then the second. So scattered and hopeless that you couldn't pay me 100 to see it again. The plot was so non-existent they had to explain a lot at the end.

Shrek 3- Another Thumbs down! It is now so much like a Disney movie that there is no point in seeing it. It wasn't funny, it was a non-original plot, and it will bore you to tears. I bet the merchandisers are happy though.

Spiderman 3- you can sit through it but the plot is very thin. The guy who plays venom is amateur and just isn't right for the voice. Marry Jane is annoying as always and the sandman's role is so small and...well stupid.

Mr.Brooks- I don't know. It was just plain weird. If you don't know what it's about, here you go. A guy with MPD kills people randomly for fun and some guy wants to join in on the fun. It was very different, but boring at times. I give it a 1 thumb up.

Grind House- The first movie is hilarious in it's zombie way. Stylized and full of camera humor (Random scenes missing,scratch film, etc.). It really is quite a good ride. The best part is the commercials in between the movies. They make fun of horror movies and commercials in general. Death Proof is about a guy who uses his car to kill people. It really is so boring that you want to stab your eyes out. Unless you like to here a group of girls talk about boyfriends for thirty minutes. Worst is that it is the first 30 min.

Knocked Up- Very adult. It was good but cussing and sex jokes come very often in the script. Also visual images that may scar or scare some of the weak of sight.

Oceans 13- Better than 12 but was again kinda boring. It wasn't that exciting and you knew what was coming, unlike Oceans 11.

Thats it for now, I hope I helped you decide what to see.
      In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

Douglas Adams

Comment

• So...basically you said see nothing.

I'm sorry, but you sound like you may do this professionally. Not a compliment.

Why is that not a compliment? I remember watching an episode of ebert and roeper(I didn't watch many, but long ago I enjoyed Siskel and Ebert...they started good and then got that egotistic flare I feel puts most critics out of touch with their audience.)and it was an episode where they got to critique both Ali, and the Fellowship of the rings...both caused arguments.

With Ali, Roeper gave it a huge thumbs up, while Ebert looked at it the way I did. Badly paced, boring, and not really complete of Ali's whole history. Mostly badly done and ostentatious.

With Fellowship of the ring, Roeper asked how any "movie could go two and a half hours talking about a stupid ring"...obviously a thumbs down.

Considering most people I talk to either don't remember Ali, or only remember it in hearing it, it must not be a very memorable film. Fellowship of the Ring, whether you liked it or not, was indeed memorable, and in my opinion the best of the three movies(I personally didn't care for the last one.)

I could recritique the movies you mentioned but for the most part? I recommend people go see what they want, and what they like.

More examples:

Fifth Element:Two thumbs down, and low stars by most critics.

Independence day:absolutely loved by most critics....ratings were either three and a half to four stars. Siskel and ebert gave two thumbs up.

Highlander:The original movie was very badly recieved. Siskel and Ebert not only gave it two thumbs down, but said "only zombies could enjoy it".

Lady in the Water: A more personal afront than a disagreement(although still a disagreement) this movie actually did what I thought was a decent job of describing many of my personal beliefs on faith and destiny. I think one of the biggest reasons it got a lot of it's critisisms is because it said critics were somewhat full of themselves and killed one near the end.

In the end, my point is that I wouldn't see a lot of good movies if I listened to many people's critiques. People have different tastes.

Comment

• I love Independence Day.

An article in my local paper said that Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer was only about an hour and a half, which IMDb confirms. Kinda short for a movie these days. Anyway, in the teaser trailer it shows Sue and Reed's wedding being interrupted by the need to save the world. I feel like there's another movie where the heroes' wedding stalls when duty calls, but for the life of me I can't think of it. Any ideas?

A little more than 3 weeks until Order of the Phoenix!
          I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. I have not got one who is a fool.--Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Look elder math. I gave an opinion. You gave an opinion. Yet you said to me not to give opinions. Isn't that being a bit hypocritical? Let me give you my opinion; it is. SO please, if you are going to try to insult someone, don't contradict yourself.
            In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

Douglas Adams

Comment

• Ratatouille: omg. Sooooooo much fun!!! Pixar hits another one outta the park. I loved loved loved it. Can't say much more or I'll spoil stuff for everybody. But on the technical side, I have to point out: they've conquered fire, and they've conquered wet hair at last. Amazing shtuff. I'll probably see it at least three times (which is typical of me and Pixar films).

Can you tell I was lucky enough to find out about a sneak-peek showing in time to buy a ticket? Ohyeh.

And, and there's a short ad for Wall-e at the front, and an absolutely hilarious short, Lifted, directed by Gary Rydstrom.
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Marina- The Incredibles has the groom be late for his wedding because of duty.

Pan's Labrynth was awesome! Who else saw it?

Princess Mononoke is priceless... It is really a lot better when it is in Japanese with subtitles.
                I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubywolf:
                  Pan's Labrynth was awesome! Who else saw it?
                  *raises hand* Yes, that was an incredible movie. I'm royally ticked off that I can't let the girls watch it, though. Since they took Spanish in school, we were starting to think that it would be a terrific movie for them to watch -- until the real-life violence kicked in. That's got to be the most explicit depiction I've seen since The Killing Fields.

Princess Mononoke is priceless... It is really a lot better when it is in Japanese with subtitles.
                  I'll bet. Typically, I will turn off the English dub on films like this... but hey, Neil Gaiman script. :-)

I went to see Harry Potter yesterday, and saw two trailers based on books I've read. The Golden Compass looks very promising.

On the other trailer, I heard them mention the name "Will Stanton", and thought "Heh. Neat coincidence...", but as the trailer continued, I was horrified to discover that it was not a coincidence, and what I was watching was supposed to actually be The Dark Is Rising.

Run away. Run far away.

Edit: I knew I had heard warnings before about this, and I just found the article I had previously read. Let's start by pointing out that it's the same director as The Path to 9/11. :-(
                  "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• Originally posted by fred22:
                    Look elder math. I gave an opinion. You gave an opinion. Yet you said to me not to give opinions. Isn't that being a bit hypocritical? Let me give you my opinion; it is. SO please, if you are going to try to insult someone, don't contradict yourself.
                    I never said not to give an opinion! I simply explained trusting on whether to see a movie or not due to what other say is a stupid stupid thing to do.

That applies to me as well. Someone can go and watch a movie and tell me they disagree...if that is their imperitive then that is there imperitive.

I was saying you came off somewhat egotistical and cliquish...this was a judgement I got from reading your opinion. This doesn't mean you should stop giving opinions. Like everything else, I can mention when something annoys me, like being misquoted and having words shoved down my throat.

Please don't do that to me.

Comment

• Elder Math, it was slightly offensive, what you said.
                      fred22- I'd have to say you got rather ugly, too.
                      For goodness's sake, it's movies, not a war zone!
                      I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

• for some people, i'm sure it amounts to about the same thing. *personally thinks it's kinda stupid to be more concerned with arguing over the details of the movie, then trying to enjoy the fact that you saw the movie at all* i actually want to see pan's labyrenth, but i'm having a hard time of it at the moment. *is waiting for it to be on on demand*
                        I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• I went to see HP#5. First, my grandmother was going to take me friday, but then two of my cousins wanted to come as well, and they had to go to a concert (Inferno, I think.) Then they dragged me to the concert. It turns out they didn't want to see the concert at all. The two little girls just stood and played with their cell phones. Then, when we finally got to the movie, they were very dissapointed to find that it was in english, and they were too lazy to read the subtitles. So they whispered to each other, played with their cell phones, and asked me when the movie was going to end. I was annoyed, to say at the least.

The movie was very good, much better than the other Harry Potter movies.

Comment

• Actually, my fave of the HPs is still #4. But #5 was fun--especially since I got to see it in IMAX/3-D. Only, when they do one of these big movies as IMAX/3-D, the whole movie isn't in 3-D. Usually just selected bits. You get those polarization 3-D glasses (one lens is polarized horizontally, the other vertically, so you don't have color shift, like with the red/blue glasses). And then you watch the movie without them, until these little animated superimposed glasses icons flash on the screen. Then, you put the glasses on go "oooooo! and ahhhh!" at the 3-D, and then the glasses flash again, and you take them off, and continue with the movie. It's really goofy and fun.

Well, I'm sitting there in Order of the Phoenix and after two hours, I'm starting to wonder if I walked into the wrong theater, because I still haven't had to put my 3-D glasses on.

But then, as soon as the Thestrals take flight, we're in 3-D, and we stay in 3-D all the way until the end of the whole Ministry of Magic sequence. It was so cool--they blew all of the 3D budget on one big long sequence, instead of a whole bunch of little bits. It was really fun.
                            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• I didn't like the story of number 4, book or movie, so I didn't really like that movie all that much. I'm not a sports fan.

Comment

• my entire family is currently waiting to see "happily n'ever after" together...it's kinda strange, but still...and none of us can seem to be able to want to watch it at the same time! *headesk* also, the new movies that are coming out seem very good...anyone looking forward to them?
                                I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                                For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Working...
                                X