No announcement yet.

Do you play any instruments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats really cool, Cress! Are you going to go professinal?
    "This is our shame-
    this is the whole Ocean's glory:
    this is the Song of the Twelve." (DW 316)

Comment

Cress: Which inventions? I had to do Bach's 14th-- it was quite, quite hard.

Which rags, too? I'm just finishing up Golliwogg's Cakewalk by Debussy. Not quite a rag, but not quite not a rag haha

ooh Tchaikovsky!

Gah! You have a baby grand!! *drools* I wiiish

Daylily: Opera, eh? Vair vair naaice! Which one?
      just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

I'm definitely not going professional, I'm nowhere near good enough, and I'm too old to get good enough at this point. I wish I was, but it takes like 5 hours a day of practicing. It's insane.

I played Bach's 13th. The 2 part invention that is, I haven't even looked at any 3 parts yet. At first it was super, super hard, but once I started to understand how the hands fit together it got MUCH easier. Then the hard part was getting the phrasing to the satisfaction of my teacher who can be VERY demanding. He's cool though. He has a very thick Russian accent. I'll play something for him and he'll kind of go "Well, it was better, but..." and then rip it apart. Kindly, of course, but rip it apart nonetheless.

I'm playing this rag called Graceful Ghost. It's by a modern composer, I don't remember his name at the moment. Very hard. I just finished learning it all, and now my teacher keeps saying "It doesn't sound very ghosty. We'll work on sound later" because I'm still trying to get confident on the notes. It's especially funny because he doesn't say the g in ghost and it sounds like "hosty". Sometimes I get confused.
        The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
        I promise not to funfun anymore
        Be happy cause life is good

Comment

First it was a Greek myth
          Then it was an english Opera by Handle
          Now, I am stuck with being in it.

The word nervous doesnt cover any of the angles.
          “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
          -Groucho Marx

Comment

I don't play - I learned violin for a couple of years, but once my shoulder started to dislocate, that put paid to that. I do sing, though - mezzo-soprano performing contralto in a chamber choir. It's challenging, and also madly fun - you never heard so much innuendo as we come out with in practice! *grin*
            Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

I don't just play an one I invented one its called Ball bearings in the washing machine
              Dai!

P.S. gone libraring

Comment

I play piano... next year I can claim that I've been playing a decade!
                Same, not crazy good, but I can get to the point where my fingers are liquid and feel like they can do anything--lovely state. I'm also cramming for three piano tests this coming December (Eeek!)

Comment

I played piano for two years and got nearly no where with it, the violin for a year and a half and got somewhere (a single piece by Bach), and am now in the process of learning the viola for 6th grade band and orchestra.
                  "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

Oh! I'm just learning to play the guitar. I'm teaching myself actually. Just playing some songs from Sara Bareilles at the moment. I'm also teaching myself to play her songs on the piano as well. It's some hard stuff... Haha.

I'm writing a song on the guitar... I just wish I can record it! Haha.
                    Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                    Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                    It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                    Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

Funny that this topic was at the top of the list when I logged in today...I'm actually leaving on Tuesday to go to a Conservatory to begin an undergrad performance degree in viola. I've been playing for about six years now, and before that I played violin for seven years. Wooo Suzuki method! And I agree with others-- violin/viola teachers can be hard and scary and sometimes it does feel like they're "bossing", but I can say that my old violin teacher (with whom I am still very close--he's like a grandfather to me) never picked up his instrument during a lesson but he literally turned my playing around and brought me to where I am today, about to become a professional. Of course, on the other hand my viola teacher often would play with me during lessons. So really it's not the style but the quality of the instructor.

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

Congrats, Alida! Where are you going? I was accepted at Oberlin for their Double Degree program in clarinet and computers, but decided to go to Brown for the computers instead.
                        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

I play contrabass, and even though it's really boring sometimes and really heavy, I love it. I like having the bass line in an orchestra, it really gives a nice overview of all the other parts.
                          I also have a private teacher and solos to work on. I just got a new instrument and it is sooo nice to play on
                          "A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."
                          -Oscar Wilde

Comment

In high school, I played flute, pic, sax, and tuba. And I was in choir, but I don't know if that counts as playing an instrument exactly. I was a lot better at singing than I ever was at any of my instruments, but I also enjoyed it a lot more. Flute I played the longest, for 7 years. I haven't played it in two or three years. I still sing all the time! But not in a choir, unfortunately.
                            "Sometimes, people build walls- not to keep people out but to see who cares enough to knock them down." -Anonymous

Comment

I've never played anything in my life.O_O

I'm more of a dancing person.
                              "I don't want you thinking you're having harmless clothes-and-hair-and-pop-star talk with some alien girloid, and then have Earth get invaded because it turns out you were actually taking to some twelve-legged methane-breathing centipede prince who's decided to turn up with a battle fleet and demand your hand in marriage!" -*Kit, WH

Comment

I can play the piano, though I tend to sing more... I didn't really get the opportunity to learn the violin or any other instrument as my family had limited money and no programs to get help to learn them...
                                There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
                                "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

Working...
                                X