Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I probably read Door Into Fire around the same time.

It takes a bit longer to get to a crew manifest in Wounded Sky, but as I recall, there is a scene where some random members of the crew get portrayed. Can you get Lee out of K'st'lk (and I'm sure I spelled that one wrong, too)? :-) Cool spot on Tom Swale. Look, an IMDb listing!

As for Reaves, didn't ring any bells for me, other than thinking about the Reeves-Stevens.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

The Next Generation episode "Where No One Has Gone Before" was co-written by Michael Reaves, who is also listed in Wounded Sky's acknowledgments. Also, he and Brynne Stephens lent DD their Apple ][+ for unspecified purposes during the writing of Wounded Sky. Reeves-Stevens, hmmm? Doesn't ring a bell. Well, outside the computer-lending context.

No, I don't think K't'lk is a Lee avatar . (In the Vishnu sense, not the forum sense.)
      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Well, that definitely sounds like a reference, then. Geez, it's been yonks since I've read Wounded Sky. I always get snagged by the Rihannsu storylines instead.

The Reeves-Stevens have done writing for both Trek and Batman: The Animated series, so my mind just went that direction.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Ok, I've just finished rereading Wounded Sky, and stopping to make notes occasionally. (The book is copyright 1989, so was probably written in between Deep Wizardry and High Wizardry.)

As mentioned above, the book is dedicated, among others, to Tom Swale who also appears in the YW books.

Once you start looking for references, the process gets out of hand. I don't know how many of these are just my imagination.

People<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
          <LI> Sulu uses a manoeuvre called Bova's Recourse - after Ben Bova?
          <LI> One of the people in Stellar Dynamics is a Mr Benford - Gregory Benford?
          <LI> Lia Burke has already been mentioned, but I'll mention that her computer calls her Lee.
          <LI> Lt Freeman in chapter 11 may be a reference to Ensign Freeman, the character David Gerrold wrote into The Trouble With Tribbles as a bit part he could play (though he didn't, in the end). (Colm Meaney replaced the actor who did play him, in the Deep Space Nine version of the tribble episode.)[/list]
          Other things
          The Sulamids, as others have pointed out, reappear in Wizard's Dilemma.

The language used by the na'mdeihei is called the Speech.

There's a sentient planet called DD Tauri V. But I'm told by a friend who studied astronomy that DD is the number of the star within the Taurus constellation, and not a reference to DD. (Well, except that it's presumably why she picked that star for the planet to orbit.)

Although the wizards of the YW series are fighting against entropy, in Wounded Sky we see a universe where there is no entropy - and it's not that nice a place.

Tributes<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
          <LI> There's a forest planet called Lórien - after Lord of the Rings?
          <LI> From chapter 6: "The whole thing," she said, her voice quiet and pensive, "would have broken your heart." "Why?" said Lia Burke's voice, equally quiet. "Was it so sad?" "Sad? No!" -- and the joy and longing in her voice were astonishing to hear.
          From chapter 16 of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by CS Lewis: Lucy could only say, "It would break your heart." "Why," said I, "was it so sad?" "Sad!! No," said Lucy.
          <LI> Among the worlds in chapter 11, one has a many-towered castle with crystal windows, reflecting the sunset. This could be Cair Paravel from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
          <LI> A page after that one, there's a hill with a walled garden, which reminds me of The Magician's Nephew and The Last Battle, two more of the Narnia books.
          <LI> In chapter 12, the reference to something being very wrong with the universe reminds me of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio series by Douglas Adams.
          <LI> Everybody will have got the Little Red Riding Hood reference anyway.[/list]

There's a reference to Hawking radiation, but that's a real (or theoretical?) phenomenon, discovered by Stephen Hawking, so I don't think it counts as a tribute.

Beyond the obvious ship names, such as John F. Kennedy and Bismarck, I can't see any particular references there.

Comment

I'm seriously angry right now. I had this semi-long post typed up, then my mom came in and I had to re-type everything.

Then she did it again, so this is the 3rd time I've typed this.

Anyway, I was at the library today, and I did a search for "Diane Duane", and came up with about...21 books.

I'm surprised that no one (as far as I've seen) has mentioned DD's contribution to the "Meditations on Middle-Earth", a collection of essay-like things about how people felt when they read LOTR.
            Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
            "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
            "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

Just in case you hadn't heard, and have the Scifi Channel, the much-renamed Niebelung tv miniseries written by DD and her husband Peter Morwood will be airing in the USA as Dark Kingdom: Dragon King on March 27th and 28th, 9pm (E/P) on the Scifi Channel. Futon Critic news page

Personally, I'm a little worried. In chat, DD mentioned that the uncut German running timing was over four hours. If Sci-Fi is running it over two nights, two hours each, then the US running time is going to be closer to 3 hours, like the UK "movie" cut...

Comment

I should like to see the proof of THIS. I don't remember being nearly as clever as Nathan claims I am...

Originally posted by Nathan:
                When Stealing the Elf-King's Roses first came out, Rysade remarked on the fact that Lee Enfield-Burke's name was almost identical to that of the protagonist. Lee replied, mentioning that she was simply an acquaintance of DD's who happened to have a character named after her. (She also opined that she has often wished recently that she had hyphenated her name the other way, considering how much of a hard time DD gives her about it--Lee Enfield seems to also be the name of a famous British rifle.) Rysade then mentioned that DD might have also named Lia Burke (my memory of how her first name is spelled, which is supported by a multitude of USENET posts) after Lee Burke (as she was presumably known at the time), to which Lee replied that she didn't know about this and that she would have to kill DD (I believe she phrased it this strongly) if any other DD characters besides Lee Enfield had names that were some variant of Lee's own.[/i]]
                Seriously, though. I can't claim the Lia Burke find. I've never read any of DD's Star Trek Books!

Comment

Originally posted by Rysade:
                  Seriously, though. I can't claim the Lia Burke find. I've never read any of DD's Star Trek Books!
                  Huh. I could have sworn that you were the one who enquired about this (and received the response from Lee), but my memory, while often quite good, is certainly not infallible, so I must be unintentionally slighting someone else. (Probably someone who no longer frequents the forums [Welcome back, Rysade!] or he or she would have corrected me, presuming that the entire incident hasn't slipped from the original questioner's memory.)

The original posts seem to have disappeared for good, so unless one of the other members who was around back then remembers this exchange (or Lee herself cares to chime in), we shall probably have to remain in ignorance.

While missing topics are the subject, however, I shall take the opportunity to mention that there have been several (in my view important) topics that have been culled recently, which makes me quite perturbed. (I noticed this while looking for one of DD's posts about her use of dark matter and energy in WAW, which, unfortunately, was in one of the culled topics, along with quite a few of my posts that I wanted to reference for a post currently in preparation responding to Moeen's "Nitpicking" topic in the WAW spoiler forum.) It simply looks as if topics that have not been responded to for more than approximately 6 months (and weren't archived when the new Groupee system came online) are now being deleted. (Or at least were being deleted some time in December: There are currently certain topics&mdash;most notably "'There's no higher payment that can be made.'" in the Deep Wizardry forum&mdash;that have not been posted to for more than 6 months but are still extant, although this may only mean that my estimate of the timescale is somewhat off, or that topics are only culled at specific times&mdash;alternatively, it is possible that my entire hypothesis is false, and the topics that have gone missing simply were lost through some technical glitch, pace the apparent close correlation with last posting date.) However, in case there is some way of recovering them (which seems, unfortunately, doubtful), or just for reference, the threads in question were the newer "The New Excerpt!" thread in the "Wizards at War" (non-spoiler) forum and the "elevens" thread in "The 'Feline Wizards' Novels" forum. (There are certain other threads to which I had contributed that have recently gone missing, but the only one that I think had any real lasting interest is the one involving the updating of the WizCast version of Uptown Local&mdash;I remember it being called something akin to "Changes in the New Editions?...Noooo!", having been initiated by Caledonian and being in the "Miscellaneous Issues" section.) More than likely, however, those threads are simply lost and we shall simply have to be aware that topic culling has returned, unless it is possible to disable it (or at least wait longer for a topic to 'expire'&mdash;as we have seen recently, there is often interest in reviving topics that are quite old indeed). Of course, the best-case scenario, barring these topics being recovered from the inner bowels of the forum software, is that somebody copied them, or enough of their participants saved their posts that they could be reconstructed. (I save copies of any of my 'major' posts, and thus can refer to them, as necessary, and could even re-post them, if there is demand [hah!], but I don't regularly save copies of entire threads, particularly since I had thought that the threat of thread deletion was completely past.)
                  Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

As a follow-up to the Wounded Sky references above, bynkii.com has a post which, amidst general enthusiasm for DD's books in general, has an enthusiastic review of Wounded Sky.

Comment

Working...
                    X