This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD's non-wizard works

Suddenly realized we don't have a thread topic for this.

Anyhoo. Was reading one of the Star Trek novels, The Romulan Way and noticed that on the passenger list of poor Captain Reaves's vessel, some of the no-shows were particularly familiar.

"H'rewiss" was probably you-know-who, who is also that same Hearnssen who wrote the Manual.

I also noticed a "Meacham, B." who is probably Beth Meacham, executive editor at Tor.

I also remember, I think it's in My Enemy, My Ally that a "Claremont, Chris" (longtime writer of The X-Men) showed up on the crew manifest at some point.

Anybody else recognize any others?
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

I'm reading Stealing the Elf-King's Roses, so:

"Lee Enfield", one of the two main characters, is based on Lee Enfield-Burke, the YW forum admin. (Gosh!) Though I don't suppose real Lee's first name is short for Liayna, as fictional Lee's is.

"Gelert", the other main character, who looks like a sentient dog, seems to be based on the legend of Prince Llewelyn's dog Gelert.

The only thing I can find for Gelert's wife Nuala is that her name is an abbreviation for Fionnuala, meaning "fair shoulders" or "white, fair".
    Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Now, I'm wondering if Lee is also thinly disguised as the Enterprise sickbay nurse, Leah Burke....

...I'm probably remembering the name wrong.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Wasn't there a mention of that sometime a long time ago on the forums?

I loved Stealing the Elf-King's Roses. . . I'm rereading it right now. ^^ The first time I read it, I couldn't put it down and after I finished I looked at the nice little pile of homework I neglected while I was reading. . . ^^ heh. I told my librarian to get a copy for the library, but he didn't listen to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora:
          Wasn't there a mention of that [i.e., Lee Enfield-Burke / Lee Enfield / Leah Burke] sometime a long time ago on the forums?
          Aurora: The mention I remember seems to have been culled, but here's my recollection of it:

When Stealing the Elf-King's Roses first came out, Rysade remarked on the fact that Lee Enfield-Burke's name was almost identical to that of the protagonist. Lee replied, mentioning that she was simply an acquaintance of DD's who happened to have a character named after her. (She also opined that she has often wished recently that she had hyphenated her name the other way, considering how much of a hard time DD gives her about it--Lee Enfield seems to also be the name of a famous British rifle.) Rysade then mentioned that DD might have also named Lia Burke (my memory of how her first name is spelled, which is supported by a multitude of USENET posts) after Lee Burke (as she was presumably known at the time), to which Lee replied that she didn't know about this and that she would have to kill DD (I believe she phrased it this strongly) if any other DD characters besides Lee Enfield had names that were some variant of Lee's own.

Nathan

[Edited to correct various stylistic infelicities.]
          Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I remember too. . . Oh well. It was almost right after Stealing the Elf-King's Roses came out. . . which was 2003. . . So wherever that topic went, there's not a huge chance of finding it again.

Comment

Well, you could play around with the Find/Search thingie, and try to fine tune it, with Advanced Search. Then again, it could be one of the many "culled" messages. Lord knows, we'll never see my 101 origami links posting again. :-)

Nathan: Lia Burke! That looks right. Knew there was something wrong with "Leah."

Now, all we have to do is find one more Lee-based character name, and tell Lee, and then sit back and enjoy the show.

Man, I can't wait for The Empty Chair. It was hell putting Honor Blade down, and not having the third one to pick up. I Sooooooooooo wanna see Arrhae and Ael have a face-to-face discussion.

Comment

"Enjoy the show"? What are you saying? We'd never see Door Into Starlight!

You wouldn't see any more Rihannsu books, either, and we wouldn't get A/The Wizard Of Mars.

Comment

PM where did that comment come from? I was reding on down this page and came to yours and it made no sense? though like you I do hope 'Door into the starlight' does come out!! it will conclude that series!! been a long time in the waiting as far as i can tell! i boughlt all the old editions! so i dont know how recent the story is!! Aurora, have'ant spoken to you in ages!I'm with you anyway! the cover made me think it might be a girlie book but i bought it anyway and was delighted with the story! did DD ever do another one to go with it?
                  Foxy
                  God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Originally posted by Fox:
                    PM where did that comment come from? I was reding on down this page and came to yours and it made no sense?
                    Of course it does! If Lee kills DD for putting her into too many books, how is DD going to finish all the other books?

though like you I do hope 'Door into the starlight' does come out!! it will conclude that series!! been a long time in the waiting as far as i can tell! i boughlt all the old editions! so i dont know how recent the story is!!
                    Since I bought Door Into Fire when it was all the books DD had ever had published, I've been waiting about 25 years for the series to be completed .

the cover made me think it might be a girlie book but i bought it anyway and was delighted with the story! did DD ever do another one to go with it?
                    Stealing the Elf-King's Roses? It came out in 2002, so I suppose there hasn't been much time for a sequel. Ask DD at her next chat?

Comment

thanks PM, 25 years really!! WOW! You have been very pacient!I hope i dont have to wait that long! grantted Ive been in the waiting 2 years but thats nothing compared to your 25!! PM i have big resepct for you! many people cant continue to read books as the get older, for reasons like work or family! but you have managed it! I hope i can!!
                      Fox
                      God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Yeah, but does PM work? I don't think he has a family, either. . .

But at least he can still read, right PM?

Comment

No, I lost my job a while ago, and can't convince anyone to employ me .
                          I had a job 25 years ago, when I bought Door Into Fire though. And when I bought the first four YW books and the two Feline Wizard books, I think.

No family, either. Ho hum . Well, there's my little sister and her boyfriend, but I'm not seeing anyone, and I don't have any kids. (Neither does my sister, so I'm not an uncle either.)

But there are lots of books in this house .

Comment

PM: isn't it 26 years? Door Into Fire came out in 1979, didn't it?

Eh, waiting for a decade for a book is easier when you're older, because you read so many more authors.

Lessee, it's been about four years since the last Connie Willis Passage. Ditto Neil Gaiman's American Gods. It's been about five years since the last George R.R. Martin Song of Ice and Fire book, A Storm of Swords. Also about five years since DD started on the Rihannsu trilogy of Swordhunt, Honor Blade, and The Empty Chair.

It's been ~10 years since the last issue of The Lost Girls by Alan Moore (comic book). It's been ~11 years since Door Into Sunset...

You get used to it.

I mean, compared to hunting-for-rarities, it's nothing. Took me 20 years to find a copy of Scaramouche the King-Maker. It's not like House of Stratus was around back then.

Comment

I didn't get Door Into Fire until 1980, though. I don't think it was 1981.

I just started rereading Wounded Sky, which is dedicated to TV screenwriter Tom Swale. I haven't found any familiar names in the story yet.

Kathy, you mentioned Captain Reaves' crew - what about Captain Reaves himself?

Comment

Working...
                              X