The Door Into Fire eBook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Door Into Fire eBook

Diane has just made her first novel, The Door into Fire, available as an eBook. You can find more information, including sample chapters (the first half of the book, actually) at http://www.dianeduane.com/The-Door-I...-Ebook-Edition.

Be warned, though: this book deals frankly with topics that Diane stays away from in the Young Wizards books. This Is Not A Kids' Novel.
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

This is great. I've been really wanting to get those books onto my kindle - I've bought used copies of the three of them but whenever I get into reading them I get distracted by other things (mainly school) and never get around to finishing them, and then lose my place. I've probably done this around 10 times. I'm almost certainly going to buy it despite already owning the dead tree copies, because for this price the convenience is worth it to me .

Edit: Downloaded the sample and am reading that and then deciding whether to get the full ebook or swap to the dead tree version. I've already gotten past the furthest I've made it so far, though only just.
    Last edited by Tuttle; December 2, 2009, 07:28:45 PM.
    We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

This is great I've really been wanting to read this, but one question first: would it still be considered inappropriate to a freshman in high school who is currently reading Stephen King's Dark Tower Series? I would really like to read this but if it's that bad then I can always hold off for a while.

Comment

Gee, Garrett. Why don't you just tell us plainly? lol. I'm only teasing. I've never looked at any of DD's other books, I may have to take a look at this one. Can you download e-books to a laptop? Or can they only be downloaded to an e-reader?
        "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

As you can see in the options that you can buy, one version is a pdf. There's also the ability to download readers for various types of formatted books for your computer. So if you want to read it on your computer that is entirely doable. You just need to actually think of if you'd actually want to read it on the computer screen, because they aren't nearly as nice as paper or eink to read on. Though the first ebook I read was one of DDs and most of it was read on my computer. If you've not read any of DD's other books I will also direct you over to the mentioning of another ebook of hers .

(as for moonwave's question, I am not answering because of both not getting far enough and not knowing because of how widely "freshman in high school varies", personally I was 13 and read Catch-22, but I know people who were 15 and couldn't handle books written for teenagers. Some of that you need to figure out for yourself and what you can personally handle, but the people who've actually read the book should be able to answer better than me.)
          We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuttle View Post
            As you can see in the options that you can buy, one version is a pdf. There's also the ability to download readers for various types of formatted books for your computer. So if you want to read it on your computer that is entirely doable. You just need to actually think of if you'd actually want to read it on the computer screen, because they aren't nearly as nice as paper or eink to read on. Though the first ebook I read was one of DDs and most of it was read on my computer. If you've not read any of DD's other books I will also direct you over to the mentioning of another ebook of hers .

(as for moonwave's question, I am not answering because of both not getting far enough and not knowing because of how widely "freshman in high school varies", personally I was 13 and read Catch-22, but I know people who were 15 and couldn't handle books written for teenagers. Some of that you need to figure out for yourself and what you can personally handle, but the people who've actually read the book should be able to answer better than me.)

Thanks for answering my question! And thanks for the link.

moonwave- 14 is old enough for a lot of things I think. You could always start reading it and stop if it makes you uncomfortable.
            "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

Moonwaves182, having read both series, you're fine. The book isn't a children's series (characters talk about sex! explicitly! In a sex-positive and affirming way!), but it's far less shocking than the Dark Tower series. I mean, I read the DT series years ago, and I still remember being shocked at Detta's speech. And then there was that train.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwaves182 View Post
                This is great I've really been wanting to read this, but one question first: would it still be considered inappropriate to a freshman in high school who is currently reading Stephen King's Dark Tower Series? I would really like to read this but if it's that bad then I can always hold off for a while.
                Let's put it this way: if you've read Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, you're probably safe. I know that was on one of my high school summer reading lists, but I don't remember what year...
                "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

I expect everyone interested has probably seen this entry in DD's LJ, but just in case...
                  -- Rick.

Comment

Thanks, Rick. I'd actually missed it. Too keyed up about Comic-Con starting for me tomorrow.

BTW, if you just want a taste of the Middle Kingdoms without diving all the way into the Door books, you could also try the free eBook for the Middle Kingdoms "Sirronde" short story, Parting Gifts.
                    Last edited by Kathy Li; July 19, 2011, 05:32:02 PM.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Working...
                    X