DD at the Hugo Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD at the Hugo Awards

DD has been asked to act as a presenter at the Hugo Awards at Noreascon Four, the 62nd World Science Fiction Convention, in Boston, MA, over the Labor Day weekend. She will be presenting the award for the Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form). Nominees for the award can be found at Noreascon's Hugo and RetroHugo nominations page.

She may also be signing books at the convention: more information about this as it becomes available.
    Lee / Forum Administrator

Great! I just have to go to Boston while I'm in Mexico! Why would nothing happens in Puerto Rico?...
    Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

Oooh... much kudos to DD! THey don't come much more prestigous than the Hugos...
      Btw, who are the Hugos named after?
      "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

Well done DD I'm really glade for you!! I hope it all goes well!! Its about time about people saw you!! What an honour, will this be on T.V?? Be nice to see you
        Fox
        God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Hugo Gernsback who ... well, read the link, I suppose. It almost explains why it was named after him.

Unless you've got Sci-Fi Channel, I doubt a US con is going to get onto TV. Oh well.

Talking about TV, years ago there was this Tomorrow's World Christmas Quiz programme, with four guests. I could not work out who that American woman was (I missed the beginning with the introductions, and my family hadn't heard of her) until the closing credits said Diane Duane and I said "Augh!".
          Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

*cries* Why did my mom have to give the labor day weekend to my dad? Why??? We were GOING to go to Boston... *grumbles*
            *Agent~M*
            "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
            "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
            "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
            "I could live

Comment

Yeah, but guys, the thing is that, from what I read, she generally just attends WorldCon (as opposed to being a guest and hostage to the panel table and the signing line). That means there's no appointed time/place/manner to run into her and say, "Hey, love your stuff." It would be a chance encounter in the hallways, or busting in on her having social chitchat with her friends [not that she or they would mind, but it takes more guts to go up and say "hi" that way, sometimes]. And while she's presenting a Hugo, she'll be relatively busy at the time.

But I also think she tries to attend WorldCon every year, so there's always Glasgow (Scotland) in 2005, Los Angeles in 2006, etc. etc.
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Good point. But still...... hee hee. And of course there's the US tour thing... good chances she'll come somewhere that is at least close to MN.... *crosses fingers*
                *Agent~M*
                "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                "I could live

Comment

AWSOME I LIVE IN BOSTON!!!
                  "He who made kittens put snakes in the grass."

"Even if love does not dawn,
                  The sun also rises,
                  The day goes on."

Comment

Be quiet, Defender! I wish she would come to Texas at some time. Dallas or Fort Worth, because I live around there.
                    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                    **Neets**
                    CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

Unless you've got Sci-Fi Channel, I doubt a US con is going to get onto TV.
                      ?? Do they have any plans to televise anything from Worldcon? Strangely enough, we do get Sci-Fi Channel, via the Astra satellite / Sky.

Talking about TV, years ago there was this Tomorrow's World Christmas Quiz programme, with four guests.
                      Yeah, that was a blast. Doug Adams (God rest his good soul) and Frank Bruno and I sat on that couch for about three hours while they taped, talking life-the-universe-and-everything and eating all the hors d'oeuvres. Paul Daniels and Eartha Kitt couldn't be bothered to come out and sit with us hoi polloi; they apparently thought we'd give them cooties or something. Daniels was also really snooty to the TW people; you'd think he was doing them a big favor taking their money. (eyes rolling)

But I'm still laughing about Bruno. "You're an American, huh ma'am? Can I call you ma'am?" I remember thinking, "Frank honey, you could knock me over with a sideways glance; you can call me anything you want to..." But he was very sweet, a very nice man to talk to.
                      -- DD

Comment

?? Do they have any plans to televise anything from Worldcon? Strangely enough, we do get Sci-Fi Channel, via the Astra satellite / Sky.
                        Oh - I don't know. I haven't had that channel since I moved house a few years ago. I know they used to do news items about SF, so they seemed the most likely candidates. The UK's Channel 4 did a programme or two from the WorldCon in um, Scotland a few years ago, and I actually saw someone I'd met on it. I don't think they'd bother going outside the UK, though.

The Sci-Fi channel's webpage couldn't find "Worldcon", "WorldCon" or "World Convention" anyway.

Thanks for that memory about the TW show - I didn't remember any of the other guests who were on it.
                        Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

You know what? I've never seen a picture of DD. That would be the main reason i would go, to see what she looks like. Defender is so lucky! He lives in Boston.
                          penguins will rule the world.

Comment

(sigh) I need newer publicity pictures: the haircut in the old ones is lousy. Anyway, here's an indifferent-quality phonecam picture I sent Peter from a hotel recently.

http://www.youngwizards.net/images/DDPhonecam.jpg
                            -- DD

Comment

Zgirl theres a really nice photo of DD on her blog web page at http://outofambit.blogspot.com/, its one where DD is holding a sword!!
                              Fox
                              God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Working...
                              X