No announcement yet.

DD's Short Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garrett, I doubt anybody but you and me has a copy of Dragons & Dreams. I'd assume that if anybody else here has a copy of "Uptown Local" it's the updated version from the anniversary edition of SYWTBAW? which included it as an extra.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Heh

I did mean to say "(besides Kathy and Rick)", but I forgot it by the time I got there. ADD is a wonderful thing..... :-(

And I had completely forgotten about the 20th Anniversary version: I saw it in the stores, but didn't pick up a copy. I do have a later edition, though (which I dropped in a rainstorm once, grrr), besides the Delacorte one I mentioned picking up a while ago.

Then, of course, there's the Thieves' World stories, but I don't remember those as being terribly YW-age-appropriate. *considers pulling them off the shelf later for a re-read*

Edit:*whaps himself for not noticing he already mentioned them up-thread* In my defense, it was two years ago...
      Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; December 4, 2008, 03:28:58 PM.
      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Yeah, Thieves' World as a whole seemed to aim at skirting NC-17 territory. And the Liavek series was better, anyway, (DD stories always excepted). Gosh, I miss the days of the PJF.

The one DD story I really have to get my hands on, though is "The Dovrefell Cat". I don't have a copy of Xanadu 2 and that's got PJF stuff in it, too. And I still haven't gotten around to reading that Xena short story...

Oooo... what's this Mystery Date story called "Under My Skin"..? And "Out of the Frying Pan"..? Hmm.. Time to go Amazoning, it looks like. I really really wish DD would pull an anthology together sometime.
        Last edited by Kathy Li; December 4, 2008, 05:51:58 PM.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

My junior high library had a copy of Dragons & Dreams (from where I first read "Uptown Local", as well as one of my favourite Jane Yolen stories), does that count? xD

I think I did see a copy of it somewhere for sale once, but alas I didn't buy it. And now I want it.
          -Tell me and I may remember; show me and I'll understand; involve me and I'll never forget. Thank you, PM. Your light lives on.

Comment

Garrett, Tuttle and Kathy Li THANK YOU!!!! I'm so interested in those, I'll have to see if I can find Dragons and Dreams (though just Yahoo searching says it's out of print BLAST IT! same as TBONWM which I still need a copy of...) Can we download permenantly those wizcasts? or are they going to be available to listen too? I love to listen to things on my drives to places.
            There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
            "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

Searching for used books

I found my copy of SYWtBaW through AbeBooks. I just did a search on their site to see what copies of Dragons and Dreams they had.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...dreams&x=0&y=0

There's a pretty good range in there, from a $1 used library copy to a $125 excellent-condition copy signed by the editor, Jane Yolen.
              "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

I've never heard of that site, are they safe to do business with? I can't be too safe now a days, and I'm still new to the buy over the internet thing... I've not had a lot of experience there... But I'll check my local library, it's possible those anthologies are in there...
                "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

AbeBooks

Oh, they're perfectly safe -- they do listings for other booksellers. _Those_ you might have to worry about, but AbeBooks itself is highly reputable, and I feel sure they wouldn't list booksellers that were in the business of ripping off their customers.

Comment

Then I'll have to go browse for some other OOP books I've been looking for, like the Gandalara Cycle.... I wonder if I can find a copy of the Forgotten Door... wish I could remember the author.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy Li View Post
                      Bumpity-bump. Has anybody gotten their hands on Witch High, yet? I'm curious about "The House", since DD posted an excerpt on her LJ, but I haven't seen it anywhere.
                      I tried to get it at Borders last night, but they didn't have it in stock. I put in an order, though, and hope to have it next weekend, before I spend all of my paycheck. :-)

Comment

You'll like it, Garrett. It's a great story (snert. Gingerbread houses taken to their tech extreme), and even though I've only read three of the other stories in the collection, they've all been pretty dang fun. Although some of the course titles folks are coming up with are more college-level than high-school, I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormwind View Post
                          Then I'll have to go browse for some other OOP books I've been looking for, like the Gandalara Cycle.... I wonder if I can find a copy of the Forgotten Door... wish I could remember the author.
                          The Forgotten Door (at least the one I'm thinking of) was written by Alexander Key, the same guy who brought you Escape to Witch Mountain. The book, not the semi-horrible Disney flick
                          "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                          "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Garrett: Thank you, and Forgotten Door is in print, I found it through Borders.com. Are the wizcasts coming back? I wanted to hear them and the links are gone now...
                            I bought TBONWM and TVTQ and STEKR on e-book the other day, I'm so happy! I've got to find these anthologies though, as I'd really like to see more stories...

Comment

My copy of Dragons and Dreams came in the mail today! I'm very happy!

Except for one thing; my moms says I'm not allowed to read it until October 8th, because I supposedly need to complete "One good month of schoolwork" before I can do any reading for fun. Oh well...

But I did get to look at the book, and take off the old library stickers and clean off the cover. It's a very pretty book, and it's been well taken care of; still with the plastic library dustjacket on it.

One thing I always do with used books that I buy, is press down the front and back cover, and let the book fall open to the spot where the binding is most bent. I was kinda happy when it opened directly to the first page of Uptown Local.
                              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

My original PB copy of The Door into Fire finally gave up; it had gotten horribly foxed and brittle over the years, and at the last reading, the cover simply broke off. I was lucky enough to find an omnibus HB edition of The Door into Fire and The Door into Shadow on Amazon at a good price. It arrived last week, yay! Now my debate is whether to keep the old PB abused copies in addition to the nice new HB, or make room by sadly getting rid of the PBs.
                                "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                                "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Working...
                                X