Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/11:what do you think?

ok, just what you all think about 9/ 11, you can put it here,
    i think that it is sooo wrong, that he should be sent to death.now.my dad useto work in that buliding, and that it is teribble that no one will ever be able to see from the top again, and the lives lost that day, nothing is funny about 9/11...
    rule #1532 of life: dont sell your soul on ebay!- YW chat
    www.artgrounds.com
    goooo thereeeeeeee D:<

I'm rather fond of the day myself, but that's not because of the terror attacks. Two years earlier (Sept 11, 1999) I got married to my wife, who I love very much. Never have I let the terror that happened that day take away my joy of being by her side.
    -Positronic Cat
    (I have sat between the great lion statues, hoping for a glimpse of the future.)

Comment

blue
      I'm not proud of what happened, but i think it helped people understand what kind of a world we're livining in. we have to take cautions of what happens around us.
      Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; January 21, 2009, 02:47:56 PM. Reason: cleanup html

Comment

I'm posting a day late, but at least I'm here. Yeah, I'm always late...ahm. I was sad when that happend; too many people died, too many innocents. It was horrible and completely unjustified. The idiots who did it should (in my opinion) be executed. Tinker, you might have a point, but how could we have known what would have happend? Since there was no way for us to know beforehand, there was othing we could have done. I think it did nothing more than murder the helpless and destroy families, and the addedsecurity all over America. I am truly sorry for the people who died, because they should never have been killed. But another negative effect of 9/11 was, and still is, more prejudice against other Muslims in the country. The government took the wrong steps to try and help their people; though Bush insisted that the Muslims were peaceful, the actions he approved clashed with his words horribly. And that's how it is right now...but we'll try and make it better.

-peri

Comment

I sooo agree with you!!! I just wanted to make a point that not all things have to be judged by their horribleness. there are good things about bad things. I still think things that day were undiscribable!
          Tink! just just trying to make the world a better place!
          Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; January 21, 2009, 02:48:49 PM. Reason: cleanup html

Comment

I think that it was a day of sadness that was used to justify a war on others that it shouldn't have been.

The original act was inexcusable, but that does not make the actions that came from it better.
            Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
            Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

Sean L. -

It's not fun, but I hope you understand when I say there're an awful lot of Americans out there who disagree with you on this one. Unfortunately, 9/11 and similar events were inevitable because of long-standing hatreds in the Middle East towards the West, and specifically the U.S. These tragedies were not the excuse. What they were is a shock great enough to convince many that the problems over in the Middle East can't be ignored any longer. Clinton tried to treat terrorism like some kind of isolated law enforcement problem, and the terrorists used the fact that we were all pretty much ignoring it to develop everything that went into incidents like 9/11 and the attack on the U.S.S. Cole and embassy bombings. But the terrorists absolutely believe that they're in a war and are acting like it while we sit comfortably in our homes watching TV or playing X-box because somehow we think 9/11 was isolated...that that kind of thing isn't going to affect us again. But all of this has been simering for decades, and it's not going to stop with 9/11. You think taking over Iraq was wrong? How about the mindset that says it's okay to gas minority groups with chemical weapons, teach your children that Israel and Israelis should be wiped off the face of the earth, kill and torture anyone who disagrees with you, pay off the families of suicide bombers, support terrorist groups, and bomb hundreds or thousands of unsuspecting, innocent civilians?

One way or another, the cycle of old ethnic hatreds and militant fundamentalism that has no respect for life has to stop. I'm at a loss to think of a better solution than at least trying to create an opportunity for democracy in the Middle East so that people there can come to understand us and maybe even find some opportunities of their own. Because if this doesn't work, things are likely to get really nasty and end up on our doorstep.

I'd really like that not to happen.
              I solemnly swear I am up to no good...

Comment

I agree with Sean, but I would like to point out that there are some reports that say intelligence knew about 9/11 before it would happen and someone didn't take the proper steps to stop it. I'm not sure how accurate that is, I'm not one of the people who's super intelligent and has links and articles to back up my words, but I remember hearing that somewhere.
                I don't want this to devolve into Bush bashing so I will simply say the results of 9/11 were horrendous and innocent people died for no reason.
                The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                I promise not to funfun anymore
                Be happy cause life is good

Comment

I don't think anyone could know about something as horrible as nine eleven and not do anything about it...and it was horrid...*goes off on rant about how horid it was, and all that, erases it as too long, and just puts up this memorial taht it once existed*
                  I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                  For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Cress: I believe that may have been a twisted truth. I think ...I'm not sure about hits, but it had something to do while Clinton was in office. They were getting threats from the Middle East, and he never did a single thing about it. So in a way, he sort of knew something bad was going to happen, but didn't do a lick about it when the next pres. was elected.

*Reads Lararquise's post* I think you have said what I think, in better words than I could ever think. Thank you.

9/11 was a horrible, horrible tragedy. My mom's friend worked in the pentagon. She, however, took a phonecall on her cell right before going in. She missed the plane. My aunt also was working on a project for the plane crash in Reading, PA. She didn't win, but I'll see if I can get a scan of it up here, if anybody wishes to see it.

I was only in...third grade. Actualy, in Mass the time it happened. IT's just...no good. No good..
                    just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

well good for you that your aunt & your mom's friend were all right!!
                      Tink!! I'm hyperactive! Tink rox! it says it all.
                      Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; January 21, 2009, 02:49:57 PM. Reason: cleanup html

Comment

Lamarquise:

I think those Americans that support Bush are also in the minority right now.

I find it folly to 'sit in our homes watching TV or playing X-Box'...but that does not in ANY way imply that there are only two options, to sit at home or to invade their country. Diplomacy seems to be an option last time I checked, though you don't seem to agree.

Furthermore, terrorism under Clinton was far better than under Bush - and we're not even done with Bush's term. There were only four major incidents of terrorism under Clinton; to date, there's been 7 or 8, at the least, and undoubtedly will be more.

I think 'taking over' is damn well wrong - you just implied yourself that we TOOK OVER Iraq. What happened to national sovereignty? What happened to respecting other countries' rights?

You say that it's not okay to gas minority groups, to hate Israel, to torture citizens of dissidents, etc. I agree. Does that mean that the United States should have unilaterally gotten itself enbroiled in a war it can not win? Does it mean that we should have made the world less safe for ourselves and our children? Do people hate America less now that we've invaded two countries? Do you feel more safe?

Absolutely not.

One way or another, the cycle of old ethnic hatreds and militant fundamentalism that has no respect for life has to stop.
                        Yes. But history is showing us that invading and pointing them towards democracy isn't that way...or any way at all.

We weren't ignoring terrorism under Clinton. We were defending ourselves (see the embassy bombings and their aftermath) in a way that would give the rest of the world cause to hate us and have more terrorist bombings.

Did Clinton know about terrorism? Yes. Was he ever able to directly get Bin Laden? No. Does he share the blame? Yes - perhaps everyone back to Carter does.

But simply ask yourself what Bush did that Clinton did not, ask yourself if we are safer or more free today, and I think you'll see what the real problem is.
                        Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
                        Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

My history teacher said something about former presidents...who the same guys who did nine eleven, made two other attacks, and nothing was done about it...He said it was stupid, like having someone punch you twice, and just shrugging it off, then suddenly deciding upon the third punch to get mad...
                          I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Sean, I find myself agreeing with you.

Maybe this is a stupid statement, but I find myself wondering what Clinton could have done about it. What was he supposed to do, go blowing up every possible place where terrorists were?

And while this has very little to do with anything...isn't America a republic, not a democracy?

What bothers me is that in school when people pray, sometimes they'll insert "...and please be with the people fighting overseas for our freedom and safety...", which gets me a bit upset. I fail to see how we are being fought for. I see America being almost tyrannical.

Of course, this is purely opinion, and I'm not trying to say that I'm right.

Ah...a little laugh for those of you who like to laugh at others. I was talking to my mom about how some kid in my school believes in the whole "conspiracy" thing...that President Bush knew the whole time about 9/11, etc. Her reply to that amused me greatly. "He's not smart enough to do that." Hehe...sorry. Mi madre amuses me.
                            <3
                            the awesome like whipped cream || Queen of Nonsensical || Guardian Angel of YW || who *dies* a lot || but <3s everybody || who pours out her soul || and doesn't always say what she should || but is

Comment

Working...
                            X