Growing Up!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Up!!!

The other day my five best friends and I were riding to my friend's house and we were in the car, and they suddenly start talking about "Girl Code." I still don't quite get it, but it's stuff like don't date your best friend's brother, don't date your brother's best friend... and other junk like that. They said that it's in the back of every girls brain and you acess it when you "come of age." And here's the thing: WE'RE TEN!!! And besides, don't you come of age when you become an adult (18 years old, I think!) Frankly, I'm not really interested in boys. And now suddenly they're wearing eye-liner (even though she denies it) and dreaming about boys. Did I miss something??

this is defintely a girls topic, but i just wanted to say poor princess, i hope figure it out
    I love Boston...(I'm from there).I wonder if Nita and Kit will ever go there...

I just (made you, too) Lost The Game :D:D:D

Comment

no, you didnt miss anything. Every body just grows up at different times. Awww what I would give to be ten again *sighs* ah well, im not that much older its mainly what I would give to be in Elemenry School again. Middle School sux! Anyway thats my 2 cents. And lol yes nate, it is a girls topic.
      Don't take life so seriously- you wont get out alive anyway.
      I just got lost in thought…it was unfamiliar territory.
      If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Comment

ugh, I hate ten year olds that do that (no offense), the whole "coming of age" thing... no, not 18. Sometimes 18, sometimes 14, sometimes 16... depends on the person. I think I'm feeling like more of an adult than a kid lately, but I'm smart enough to know I've got a lot more growing up to do, everyone does. Even when you're an adult by law or whatever. But tell your friends that the "Girl Code" is crap, date whoever you want when you're older, but not when you're ten... And tell your friends to lay off the makeup! Experiment with makeup when you're older, but not too much... too much makeup is... trashy I guess you could say. I hate it when little girls, or younger girls... preteens? whatever, I hate it when you guys are influenced into all these things by TV and movies and older sisters and magazines and crap like that, being 10 is about growing up, but not growing up into an adult... becoming mature is what 10 is being about, and crushes on boys (even though boys typically mature slower than girls, it's a scientific fact boys! We love you all, but it's true lol) but no dating... *sigh* going overboard with this cuz my sister is 11 and she's got the same problem... she likes boys but her friends are all into the whole "girl code" type of thing and she's not.... I'm gonna shut up now lol, hope I helped though, for princess and anyone else reading... *shuts up*
        *Agent~M*
        "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
        "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
        "I could live

Comment

Princess, eventually you'll get it, and when you do, that's when you've "come of age."

How about thinking your younger brother's friend is cute? (... XD ...)
          Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

You know, I sort of missed out on the whole phase where everyone started experimenting with make-up and stuff because I'm a bookworm. It was funny, I got switched to a public school in 7th grade and suddenly there were all these people with really heavy make-up, and goths, and...well, let's just say people with really low jeans. Big eye-opener that I never wanted to see...

But back on topic: I don't think there's an age where you're grown up. I'm 15, and I still have no clue how to put on any make-up (and I don't want to know), my parents still treat me like I'm 10 in terms of hanging out with friends, and I have no clue what to do when it comes to boys. I don't think I'm grown up yet, in those terms, the terms everyone notices. But mentally...I still don't think I'm grown up mentally either.

In conclusion to my confusing post: I think when you don't feel like a child anymore, but don't yet feel like an adult, and are ready to admit that you feel like that, that's when you are actually grown up. You can take the consequences of your actions, and accept them, even if you don't like them. It has nothing to do with boys, or make-up or anything like that at all. It's an inside thing...

Sorry for the confusing post...*shuts up like M did*

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

heh, actually seabiscuit, yours made more sense than mine, that was what I was trying to say... lol, growing up is definitely a mental thing and I think that "bookworms" like us tend to grow up faster... at least in that sense. It takes other kids a little while longer to figure out exactly what growing up is...
              *Agent~M*
              "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
              "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
              "I could live

Comment

Ahhhhhhhh, I don't know what to do about guys. The guy I like... it's not like he doesn't know I exist, but it's more like... ehh... I don't know. Like, yeah, I have no experience, so I wouldn't know what to do to let him know I'm interested. All of my friends are girls; I don't know what to talk to a guy about. And on top of that... it's even harder to talk to him 'cuz I like him. Does this make sense? He showed me his ID -- we just got those last week after our school pictures came in -- and asked me what I thought. I just grinned. He was also concerned about why I sat out the first week we were swimming, but when I didn't say anything, he was like, "Oh. Uhh... nevermind." All I said was, "hnnn..."

But... he's just like that; he's a great guy. It's not like he's paying more attention to me than anyone else. :/

I'm so confused I don't know what to think.
                Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Gryphon, I used to be like that with one of the kids next door. But now that I am a little older, and a little wiser, I can go up to him and talk to him with out being embarssed which I am so thankful for. I guss it just takes time to know yourself, and if you know yourself, and like the person that you see, then you will be ready for anything.
                  Lover of Most Books...
                  Finder of Lost Things...
                  Eater of all Sweet Stuff...
                  Wonder of the West...

Comment

There is just one fact of life we can all be sure of;

"All is chicken."
                    Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
                    ------------------------------------------------------------
                    "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

db-I have no earthly idea what that is about.
                      Princess-Oh goodness. I remeber 10. I totally understand what you're going through and it was even harder for me because I skipped a grade at about 10 and was suddenly surrounded with 11 year olds who were completely boy crazy. It's all really overwhelming. Just keep your cool and do things at your own pace. I'm a senior in high school, I've been on one date and never kissed a boy. You'll live. When you do get a crush, just be cool about it. I've learned the hard way that obsessing and flirting simply don't work. It never ends well. Try to be happy with being his friend. The one time that I had a boyfriend, I almost didn't realize that I really liked him until he asked me to be his girlfriend. It works out SOOOO much better that way. Anyway, back to age 10. Hang out with your friends. They'll get over their tween obcessions fast enough. It's always a GOOD THING to be the "young, innocent one." My best friend and I get called "pure" and "nun-like" alot, but you'd rather be known as that than as the one who wears too much make up. Good luck and ENJOY BEING YOUNG!
                      Gryphon-Chill. Be glad that he's a good friend. And if you ever get to touch him (the guy I had a crush on last was always putting his head on my shoulder), just be happy and dun push it. Things will happen soon enough and he sounds like a really nice person. Good luck!
                      A physics geek
                      And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

Comment

Meh I don't have alot of advice on this subject (my being a boy of course) But the BEST ADVICE ANYONE CAN GIVE IS TO BE YOURSELF Follow your own path. Do what you want(within reason). Like who you want.And wear what you want(also within reason) I can't stress the within reason part There are girls at my school who practicly wear nothing! It's absurd!

other than that be yourself. Trust me, In the end the one who likes you for being yourself is the guy you'd want to date.

I'd also like to point out that though i am in high school i have yet to go on a date. *shrugs*. apparently i'm not one of the "popular crowd." I'd be a little disturbed if i suddenly was. I prefer to be the class bookworm myself

Back to my point, Find somone who likes you for who you ARE not ONLY just because you LOOK good.

Last bit of advice ENJOY being ten.

You have less homework, less ,chores ,less responsibilities and probably will have nice teachers. Also you get recess. and long lunch times I think.
                        (I swear one of my teachers is a satanist)
                        See ya'll later.

-MBF

also in response to something above

The moment you think you understand everything, you have learned nothing.
                        ---------------------------------------
                        YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.
                        "in remembrance of Peter Murray,5/16/06,dai stiho

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys!! And mythbusterfan, we don't have recess!

Thanks so much!!

"He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare,and he who has one enemy will meet him everywhere"

Ali ibn-Abi-Talib

Comment

I'd have to say most importantly be yourself. Don't let others change who you are. Don't try to force yourself into growing up to fast. People grow up at different rates, and people don't always understand that. But if it gets to the point of you being hurt by others actions, no matter if they meant it or not, talk to them, and if they don't listen, then talk to someone who can. Enjoy being 10 while you can, but don't hide from yourself either. My life as a 10 year old wasn't the best it could have been because people didn't understand my differences, but that was just me.

I terms of boys and such, I'm now a senior in high school and going through the biggest boy issue now, but in terms of someone liking me. I have never dated, kissed, or even had a crush. I know I'm not the majority, but I would not want to try to force myself.

Be happy with who you are.
                            -Tuttle
                            We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

Seabiscuit is going to contribute to the discussion again, but this time she is all hyped up on Halloween candy, so...this might be interesting...

Anyway...boys. Confusing? Yes. Dumb? Most of the time. At least, the ones in my school are. Crazy? No more so than girls are.

I'm 15 years old, and a sophmore in high school. In my school, I'm considered strange because I've never had a boyfriend, or even gone on a date. As far as most of my classmates know, I haven't even had a crush (they are SO wrong...I'm just quiet about that type of thing.) First of all...be yourself around guys. If you like them, don't tell them if you know they don't like you back. Also...be their friend. They seem to like that. Just my two cents about that...also, and don't obsess over boys. There's no point.

Gryphon: same here, about the guy thing...except the guy I like knows I like him, because my friends have big mouths. Oh well, at least in the spring I'll have something to talk to him about...we're both on the track team...anyway, try to find out more about what he likes and stuff, and if it's stuff you like, talk about it. If you don't have much in common...I don't know! Just try to treat him like one of your friends, but different from your friends...that doesn't make sense...oh well...

In conclusion: leave boys until you're older if possible. If not...be smart about them, and don't act like the people who parade around with thongs sticking out of their pants. *grumbles about people who flagrantly disregard dress code and don't get caught*

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

Working...
                              X